Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,642,059 times

Advertisements

Im craving Lefse of the fresh sort. Is there any in San Antonio?
I am a recent transplant from up north. Pls be gentle as I am new.

Squidlo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 AM

634 posts, read 2,915,817 times
What is Lefse?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 AM

Lefse is to the scandinavian what the tortilla is to someone of mexican decent. It is a flat bread made with potato and flour. Some of us scandinavians swear we will die if we go to long without it. We eat it with butter and sugar with cinnamon, some with jam or jelly. I usually get my Lefse fix by haunting the long tables at family gatherings waiting for the large cylindrical "tupperware" container to land. But alas I have moved away and am left without the skill to make lefse properly nor a place to procure it. = (

Squidlo

Old 03-31-2007, 04:13 AM

22 posts, read 108,962 times
what about Schilo's maybe? If not surely somewhere in New Braunfels.
Like Oma's? Would like to know cuz sounds good!!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM

I am impressed by the amount of german culture here. I knew that New Braunfels was nearby and haven't visited in the time I've been in town. I am pretty sure that most germans wouldnt be celebrating Lefse, so I pretty much left it from my search.

Any information on any Scandinavian communities would be helpful. I might be able to make Lefse here using some of the equipment used for Tortillas as they are sisters of a sort. The price I am paying for not being in the kitchen with my grandmother and her sisters were in the kitchen = (

Squidlo

Old 03-31-2007, 04:56 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,335,320 times
i love lefse! boy would i love some with my Lurpak Danish butter i got in my icebox!
i am wondering if there is any place in San Antonio that sells salmiak or salted lakritz? it's a salted licorice, very popular in Scandinavia, Germany, Holland?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 108,962 times
You might try contacting San Antonio Restaurant Association @734-7663 or Texas Restaurant Association @512-457-4100.
Wow, lefse sounds wonderful! There are many recipes out there but it is time consuming to make and seems to be quite an art! I just might try as it certainly looks worth it!
Here is one website to order from www.lefsetime.com.
Also, the Magnolia Pancake Haus on West Ave. says they use a 100 yr old Scandinavian recipe to make pancakes so that might interest you.
Let us know tho if you ever have luck finding a restaurant here!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 PM

170 posts, read 760,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Lefse is to the scandinavian what the tortilla is to someone of mexican decent. It is a flat bread made with potato and flour. Some of us scandinavians swear we will die if we go to long without it. We eat it with butter and sugar with cinnamon, some with jam or jelly. I usually get my Lefse fix by haunting the long tables at family gatherings waiting for the large cylindrical "tupperware" container to land. But alas I have moved away and am left without the skill to make lefse properly nor a place to procure it. = (

Squidlo
Lefse sounds good! I want to try it. Anyways, I googled a bit, and found this for you. It looks like there may be some scandinavian organization in SA...and perhaps you'll be able to use those rectangular tuperwares at some of their gatherings. You remind me of me, who patiently waits for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner to end, then I make my move with my tuperware and gather up my favorite leftovers. It's an art I have perfected.

http://www.norway.com/directories/d_...y.asp?id=20530

Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,222,771 times
I'm sure someone somewhere in SA sells Lefse. Hope you find them soon.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM

@ Minz, yes thank you. I also found that address. It isn't far from me really. I will check there soon.

As far as "store bought" Lefse goes it doesnt have much of a shelf life. I've tried a few types that are sold in grocery stores, probably previously frozen and sold to hungry scandinavians who are desperate. Not high on my list for enjoyable eating, Id rather have a fine local tortilla at that point.

Thanks to any and all.

Squidlo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio