U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 PM

452 posts, read 958,771 times
Oh, yeah! La Semana! I loved going to that!

CelesteDF - If they shut down La Semana for the reasons you give, they would've shut down Market Square way before that!

WilGar - You've obviously never been to Market Square in the evening during Fiesta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,228,302 times
So what was La Semana's last year?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,085,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Oh, yeah! La Semana! I loved going to that!

CelesteDF - If they shut down La Semana for the reasons you give, they would've shut down Market Square way before that!

WilGar - You've obviously never been to Market Square in the evening during Fiesta.
True!

I have my same table for the river parade and go to one fiesta event that is no longer an "official" event.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,694,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
So what was La Semana's last year?
I think they stopped doing the La Semana Alegre stuff back in 1995...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 PM

21 posts, read 86,444 times
Default La Semana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I miss La Semana very much! I attended many shows in the 80s and 90s and it was always my favorite event. It was a little rowdy, but I think it's bad reputation was overblown, and by today's standards, even laughable.

I thought the last years when they moved it to the Freeman grounds were esp good. I liked the addition of the carnival rides, and the additional attractions.

But the best thing were the bands playing every night of the week!! LEGS DIAMOND recorded their "Captured Live" CD there. Other bands I recall performing thru the years are KISS, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, SELENA, TED NUGENT, LITA FORD, SPINAL TAP, BLUE OYSTER CULT, JOAN JETT, BUDGIE, ERIC JOHNSON, MOTORHEAD, TOBY KEITH, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, PAT TRAVERS, BOUFFANT JELLYFISH, TRAPEZE, HEYOKA, OZZ KNOZZ, U.F.O., COLLECTIVE SOUL, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ROB HALFORD'S FIGHT, BROTHER CANE, JOE KING CARRASCO, SUNDAY, PARIAH and countless others...

Actually, just the other day I was trying to find, without much luck, a list of bands that have played the festival. If anyone has any links or flyers/articles to post, I would love to see them!
Wow that brings back memories ( 1994 ) I still have the back stage pass
to that night When Cheap Trick was the main gig,,,,I was the drum tech for the drummer of Taboo,,,while we were in the dressing room i can hear Cheap Trick doing a sound check,,,so i figured they were just starting
( sound check ) so i stayed in the dressing room and had a few drinks....
After about ten minutes i heard nothing,,,,so i grabbed a jean jacket my
daughter wanted autographed and headed towards the stage,,,but i was to late,, i saw them get into a limo and left,,,,,but all and all that evening was a good gig,,,even got to see Rick Sanford ( Legs Diamond ) walking around.
I know i still have the pass somewhere in a box of concert stubbs.
Have to work tomorrow (Sat ) when i get home i'll look for and post a pic
of it,,,hopefully by the evening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks
Sammy G.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,795,916 times
Great, I would love to see them!

Some other past bands I came up with are APRIL WINE, MARK FARNER, GARY RICHRATH (REO), JOHN CAMPBELL, SPIRT...

Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,228,302 times
April Wine was just at the Siesta Fest this year (on Wed.).

Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 PM

452 posts, read 958,771 times
WilGar - La Semana was like dinner at The Argyle when you compare it to Market Square on the Saturday after the Night Parade!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,085,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
WilGar - La Semana was like dinner at The Argyle when you compare it to Market Square on the Saturday after the Night Parade!
There comes a time in one's life when someone has to take someone else's word for some things, this is one.

I will say that I never worried about a gang attack or what "colors" i wore when I have dined at the Argyle, though.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,694,272 times
Real OGs done dine at the Argyle.... duh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio