Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Come on people this is San Antonio, this is what we do, Fiesta (party). I personally take a week of vactation so I can attend as many events as possible and have been doing this for the last decade.

Why dont you all, who dont like Fiesta, take a week of vacation as well but instead of attending Fiesta events you should go out of town.

And why would someone move specifically to the part of town where such events occur, as well as First Friday?

it's easy enough to avoid Fiesta in San Antonio, but not if you choose to live in the middle of it all. That comes with the territory!

(that said, I missed most of it this year, due to other obligations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
The Fiesta Commission reports a $284 million economic impact...that's nothing to scoff at.
Thank you for doing the legwork to look that up and post it, but I question the source's objectivity. I simply don't believe that number.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 PM

317 posts, read 1,746,249 times
I am a transplant and have to admit, I really don't get the whole Fiesta thing. I have yet to figure out where and when events are, what they're about, and more, where you are supposed to park without it costing a fortune. Also- hubby is wheelchair bound, and the crowds look too thick to battle, and again, parking is a serious issue with us needing clearance for the wheelchair lift on our van. (some days we are lucky to find handicap parking at the hospitals/docs offices!) We don't really drink, and don't like being around drinkers, so that cuts down our interest some too. Fiesta just doesn't seem the thing for us right now.

That all being said- I wouldn't begrudge anyone a good time. Party it up- why not? It seems like its great for the local economy, and fun for many. As for us, there are certainly plenty of other things for us to do in this good city besides Fiesta.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
dmmjsm, as much as I love Fiesta, I wouldn't to navigate the majority of events with someone in a wheelchair - the crowds ARE thick and you're spot on about parking being an issue, too.

I did Fiesta 1999 on crutches - it was pretty awful, but people were seriously SO nice. I had so, so, so many offers of help despite being with my very capable parents and sister. A total stranger and her family gave all four of us a ride from her parking space (after Flambeau) to the park and ride spot so I wouldn't have to crutch my way there.

I fell down a flight of stairs while at work in Chicago and had to get myself from Chicago to San Antonio on crutches with one sprained ankle and one strained ankle along with nerve damage to my right shin and foot. That experience could've been HORRIBLE - have you been to O'Hare?! - but it was made bearable purely due to the kindness of utter strangers. And the kindness continued here in San Antonio throughout Fiesta.

I'm not one to doubt that most people are basically good, but that just reaffirmed it.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Thank you for doing the legwork to look that up and post it, but I question the source's objectivity. I simply don't believe that number.
bowie, with all due respect...i wonder how you can really question a number like that ---

say only 1mil people went to fiesta and only spent $20 each, that is 20mil dollars right there --- well over a million people show up at the almost 100+ fiesta events over 11days and with parking, admission, beer, food, knick knacks, crafts, etc...people are surely spending well over $20 a person ...

i can see a number of 200mil + being reached easily...it's nothing to drop $100 or more at a fiesta event...it is very easy and very doable and something that millions of people do every year...

i am not sure if anything i have written has done anything to convince you ... but honestly, unless you have done fiesta in it's true form, it's probably not something that anyone will ever "get"...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM

472 posts, read 1,786,130 times
We probably spent about $400.00 on events alone.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
bowie, with all due respect...i wonder how you can really question a number like that ---

say only 1mil people went to fiesta and only spent $20 each, that is 20mil dollars right there --- well over a million people show up at the almost 100+ fiesta events over 11days and with parking, admission, beer, food, knick knacks, crafts, etc...people are surely spending well over $20 a person ...

i can see a number of 200mil + being reached easily...it's nothing to drop $100 or more at a fiesta event...it is very easy and very doable and something that millions of people do every year...

i am not sure if anything i have written has done anything to convince you ... but honestly, unless you have done fiesta in it's true form, it's probably not something that anyone will ever "get"...
I know that economic impact numbers are difficult to measure, so they rely on estimates. That makes them easy to inflate.

It's nothing personal against Fiesta. When such numbers come from an organization that's using them to justify its existence, I will always question them. I have the same skepticism about EI numbers associated with Alamodome events. When EI numbers come from the city (for Fiesta, not the Alamodome) or the Chamber of Commerce, a neutral third-party, I trust them more.

In 7 years here, I've been to 3 Fiesta events. At none of them did I spend $20/person. This year I went to the River parade. I sat in a $15 seat as the guest of a business and ate a catered meal that the business provided. On the other side of the river from me were people who paid nothing to watch the parade and brought food from home. We were all counted as part of the crowd who watched the parade. To give each of us credit for $20 of economic impact is unrealistic.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,201,192 times
When in high school and playing in the band, we attended Fiesta three consecutive years. One year we almost diverted to the Buccaneer thingy in Corpus but protested and stayed with Fiesta! There were several bands from around Texas, occupying those hotels that were usually near vacant. Our hotel was the Bluebonnet for each of those three years. One year, the newly released 'How the West Was Won' was playing at the Aztec. I treat for us small town hicks.

I think Fiesta! was more meaningful in those days. For many, it's a Texas tradition. One I suspect that may not be understood outside the Houston to San Antonio corridor where lives were sacrificed to gain Texas independence. You won't find that culture anywhere else in Texas.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
When in high school and playing in the band, we attended Fiesta three consecutive years. One year we almost diverted to the Buccaneer thingy in Corpus but protested and stayed with Fiesta! There were several bands from around Texas, occupying those hotels that were usually near vacant. Our hotel was the Bluebonnet for each of those three years. One year, the newly released 'How the West Was Won' was playing at the Aztec. I treat for us small town hicks.

I think Fiesta! was more meaningful in those days. For many, it's a Texas tradition. One I suspect that may not be understood outside the Houston to San Antonio corridor where lives were sacrificed to gain Texas independence. You won't find that culture anywhere else in Texas.
yup, i totally agree --- like i said before, i think alot of the transplants just don't get it, nor do they want to get it ...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I know that economic impact numbers are difficult to measure, so they rely on estimates. That makes them easy to inflate.

It's nothing personal against Fiesta. When such numbers come from an organization that's using them to justify its existence, I will always question them. I have the same skepticism about EI numbers associated with Alamodome events. When EI numbers come from the city (for Fiesta, not the Alamodome) or the Chamber of Commerce, a neutral third-party, I trust them more.

In 7 years here, I've been to 3 Fiesta events. At none of them did I spend $20/person. This year I went to the River parade. I sat in a $15 seat as the guest of a business and ate a catered meal that the business provided. On the other side of the river from me were people who paid nothing to watch the parade and brought food from home. We were all counted as part of the crowd who watched the parade. To give each of us credit for $20 of economic impact is unrealistic.
like i said before, unless you have done fiesta "in it's true form" ... sitting in a seat as the guest of a business and eating a catered meal is FAR from doing fiesta in it's true form ... True Fiesta Form would be to start with Alamo Heights night, then maybe Taste of New Orleans, a couple nights of NIOSA, Oyster Bake is always fun and maybe end it all with a parade or 2 ...

and for every 1 person that did a freebie there are 20+ that were like Dube and spent $400+ on the events...

that's cool, we can agree to disagree ... it's just a little disheartening to hear a non-native dump on Fiesta, something most natives hold near and dear to our hearts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio