Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,828 times

Advertisements

It may have been discussed, in fact, I thought I saw it but can't find it now...where do you go to get on the barge for the extension? I understand it to be one-way because of the locks? But the KSAT newsitem mentioned a round-trip? Do they have the same hours as the other boat rides?

And where is this VFW? And can I park at Pearl for free to enjoy the extension?

Sorry for all the questions! I guess I've been under a rock! I'm a creature of habit when it comes to downtown SA, so I'm not seven sure where the extension starts and the River Walk I know stops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
It may have been discussed, in fact, I thought I saw it but can't find it now...where do you go to get on the barge for the extension? I understand it to be one-way because of the locks? But the KSAT newsitem mentioned a round-trip? Do they have the same hours as the other boat rides?

And where is this VFW? And can I park at Pearl for free to enjoy the extension?

Sorry for all the questions! I guess I've been under a rock! I'm a creature of habit when it comes to downtown SA, so I'm not seven sure where the extension starts and the River Walk I know stops!

It pretty much as to be two way... Otherwise how to the boats get back? Parking is free at Perl, there is quit a bit of it under 281.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
djw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
It pretty much as to be two way... Otherwise how to the boats get back? Parking is free at Perl, there is quit a bit of it under 281.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I must have misread a post somewhere. Where are the locks? I'm thinking we'll head down tonight to catch the bats and see the fishes!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 PM

322 posts, read 774,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. I must have misread a post somewhere. Where are the locks? I'm thinking we'll head down tonight to catch the bats and see the fishes!
If memory serves me right, the locks are by the AT&T building on St Marys & McCullough.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
The lock is at Lexington and McCullough.

The Pearl does have tons of parking, both on-site and under the freeway. The under-freeway parking used to be pretty grim, but they have done a terrific job making it really nice and well-lit.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I wonder how long it will be before they start charging for parking under the bridge? And are the port-o-pottys there permanent or just there on Saturdays, or were they just there for the event last weekend?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Stopped by today and it wasn't too busy. The locks are by the at&t building just north of brooklyn at the river. There is a ticket booth there and restrooms. You can watch up close the barges and water rise and fall at the locks... a sorta mini-Panama canal. Today, there was at most a 30 min wait for a roundtrip ride up from Brooklyn to the Pearl brewery and back -- a 30 min ride.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM

My wife and I parked by the SW School of Arts and Crafts & walked up and back tonight. It really does look nice.. but there are some errors that need to be corrected.

* Railings randomly stop and start?? Some areas desperately need hand-rails and don't have them and vice versa.
* There is an area on the 'west' side of the river that gets wet from the river. It looks like they need to fix that before someone gets hurt!
* Homeless and drunks have already setup shop under the bridges - we were stopped twice so they could "ask us a question" - no thanks, I'll keep walking

I'm really suprised they stopped the path by SAMA. I don't know why they don't allow you to walk the entire river on either side. The bridge that crosses over is really neat though!

The locks are neat. I wish we would have seen the Rio Taxi navigate them but we weren't nearby when they were headed down river.

Does anyone know what the cafe-looking thing @ SAMA is? The area with the outdoor seating and the fans? It looks like a great place to have lunch!

Did anyone else notice the "pay by the hour" motel ("west" side?) that has a riverfront view now? My wife and I were cracking up. Now they can charge an extra 5$/hr! Dirty mattresses and STDs but hey, you have a really awesome river view now!

It'll be exciting to see who buys up the various lots and moves in. SA++ for investing in this project. I can't wait to see the rest of it!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
djw

Managed to get down there with the kiddo tonight and it was really nice. I'm not as observant as deek102, so didn't notice the handrail issues. Did find it curious that you couldn't walk past SAMA, unless when it's open you can go through and cross a street or something. But there was a very nice fellow that was walking back from SAMA forewarning all of us heading down that path!

We parked at Pearl, walked down to the locks, watched a few taxis go through, then came back up and saw the bats and the fishes! They were partying at the VFW, definitely somewhere I could spend some time!
It looks like that patio deek mentioned is at the SAMA, maybe a cafe?

Anyway, here's a pic of the fish. Not my best work, but you get the idea! We were standing north of the IH35 bridge looking toward SAMA. That's a great vantage point for the bats as well.
Attached Thumbnails
New Section of Riverwalk Opens 30 May-p5310009.jpg  

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM

cool! I didn't get to see them lit up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio