Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

As Paka mentioned, there are quite a few newly pregnant women in San Antonio. But they live here. They don't really have a choice to change their plans as you do. The one common element it appears in the spread of this disease seems to be TRAVEL. It's not so much where you go....but how you go. Crowded airports and close proximity of passengers on an airplane with people who have just crossed the globe.

Here is what the the CDC has on their website. You make the choice. It sounds as if you're going to do what you want regardless of what your doctor recommends anyway. Keep in mind that the first trimester is the most fragile stage of pregnancy.

If you just can't bear the idea of losing $1000 ...then take a buddy....or sell your tickets on Craigslist or Ebay. There are ways around this.....if you do feel the need to protect your wife and child.

No one has a crystal ball here.....ONE WEEK ago we weren't even talking about this topic. So much can change in a couple of weeks. Your call.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Pregnant Women and Swine Influenza Considerations for Clinicians

In case you don't make it down to the end of the page......here's a good summary.

Quote:
Other ways to reduce risk for pregnant women

There is no vaccine available yet to prevent swine influenza A (H1N1); however, the risk for swine influenza A (H1N1) might be reduced by taking steps to reduce the chance of being exposed to respiratory infections. These actions include frequent handwashing, covering coughs, and having ill persons stay home, except to seek medical care, and minimize contact with others in the household. Additional measures that can limit transmission of a new influenza strain include voluntary home quarantine of members of households with confirmed or probable swine influenza cases, reduction of unnecessary social contacts, and avoidance whenever possible of crowded settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I personally would talk to the OB/GYN about it and listen to what they have to say.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I personally would talk to the OB/GYN about it and listen to what they have to say.
Yes....that does make perfect sense, right? And it's already been suggested several times only to get this response from him.

Quote:
heydade
Humanitarian Vigilante

I like to get a general broad overview opinion. Many doctors are idiots and give bad advice. An OB/GYN is not an epidemiologist. She will recommend what the US Government is recommending....go travel and do not worry. I would much rather here many opinions here than a single opinion from some doctor.
He doesn't want to bother asking the doctor...he already knows what she will say. I guess it's all about priorities.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
wCat...did I say I am not going to consult a doctor ? Nope. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks =)

We have an appointment on Wednesday and will listen to what she has to say.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
wCat...did I say I am not going to consult a doctor ? Nope. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks =)

We have an appointment on Wednesday and will listen to what she has to say.
My apologies. I misunderstood when you said....
Quote:
I would much rather here [sic] many opinions here than a single opinion from some doctor.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM

83 posts, read 369,476 times
I live and work in San Antonio. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have a trip planned to Puerta Villarta at the end of June. I asked my ob/gyn on Friday what she thought. She suggested we continue to monitor the progress ans spread of the virus. If things calm down, she doesn't see a reason not to go, but to continue being vigilent with hand washing and other such precautions. Also, she indicated that, should I get the flu, it is safe for me and the baby to take Tamiflu.
We have not cancelled our plans as of yet.

Last edited by Lester81; 05-04-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: add detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio