Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times

Advertisements

Nobody mentioned, specifically,
Blue Star Contemporary Art Center
is supported by: The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc.,
Blue Star developed from a grassroots event in July of 1986 through adaptive re-use of a 1920's warehouse along the San Antonio River. As an exhibition space, Blue Star arose from the need to provide a place for the exhibition of the work of contemporary artists in San Antonio. From 1986 to 1988, the organization operated through the efforts of dedicated artists and volunteers. Thereafter, a professional director and staff have managed Blue Star.

Quote:
In its twenty-third year, Blue Star continues to be an incubator for contemporary art in San Antonio, a city that has become known as a site for numerous cutting edge venues for contemporary art, many of which have spun off the work and example of Blue Star. An event endorsed by the San Antonio City Council in 1989 and founded by Blue Star was Contemporary Art Month; this event has grown to include over fifty collaborating organizations, cultural centers, museums and alternative spaces. Within the four distinct gallery spaces at Blue Star over twenty exhibitions are showcased each year, targeting local, regional, national and international artists from emerging to internationally renowned. The developments of Blue Star’s events and programs have created a social and economic revitalization in the surrounding neighborhoods of the King William Historic District and SouthTown Mainstreet Alliance as well as the Lavaca Historic District.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:46 PM

325 posts, read 781,083 times
I've lived and worked in both cities and enjoyed each. I think the diversity between Austin/San Antonio is a unique and valuable asset to the central Texas area. There are people who will find a way to be miserable anywhere, I avoid these types.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM

175 posts, read 303,873 times
I find it quite telling the defensiveness expressed by many in not just this thread, but any in which any constructive criticism or negative complaints are brought against SA and the lameness of what it offers. Perhaps it's because these comments have a ring of truth to them, and sting your fragile egos. I really don't know, or care, but it's interesting how bent out of shape locals get when one expresses their dissatisfaction with any element of SA (particularly it's culture...or lack thereof).

As for SA's events, I've been to enough to know that I'm not impressed, and just not interested. I've been to a number of things here, and came back thinking all were not up to my standards (as the ones in Austin have been), and so I'm moving to Austin. However, I will continue to post here, and if someone asks how SA's art scene can compare to Austin, I will share my opinion that there is no comparison. If you don't like it, put me on ignore...I really couldn't care less. Just stop attacking my character just because I disagree with your view of SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Eor's birthday? That's (unintentionally, of course) hilarious. But it's even more hilarious that you made a special trip for that!

Your comments (here and other places) reveal your complete ignorance about SA (particularly as it relates to the art scene). When's the last time you've peeled yourself away from your laptop and gone to Flight gallery, or Unit B, or ArtPace, etc.? Did you check out Cornyation? How about the indie/punk shows last month (AIDS Wolf, King Khan, Megafaun, etc.) or this month (Thermals, Fake Problems)? Or, hell, last night at the Moz film screening at Alameda?

The problem is not that you have an opinion, or that you express it - the problem is that your opinion is obviously uninformed by actual experience or knowledge of the things you profess to be an expert about. If you want to give advice about the "scene", you really should get out more.....and, no, cliched hippie parties (that stopped being cool, well, about 15 years ago) don't count.

Austin's a great city, and it has lots to offer, especially for young people (it's the biggest college town in the world, for God's sake!). But just because that's true doesn't mean there's a lack of options in SA. If you can't find cool stuff in this city.........the fault lies squarely with YOU.

I really would encourage you..........get out and have some fun!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,456 times
I really think that now that the Pearl and the Riverwalk extension are beginning to move forward full-throttle that Mahncke Park is about to really become an exciting place. The location means that you're close to both the more traditional Alamo Heights stuff (the 5050, Cappycino's, etc) and all of the other fun, cool neighborhoods like Tobin Park and Lavaca/SoFlo/Southtown, plus the Pearl is right there, along with access to the new part of the River.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM

There are a lot of positive areas and entertainment venues in San Antonio. Anyone that lives here knows that, if you're not happy here, then, by all means, get on the road and go.
I find people that sit around and complain about their surroundings very immature, very insecure, very unhappy.. no matter where they live, they complain about their surroundings to overcome their own shortcomings in life. One would wonder, if you are so unhappy with the artistic venue, why, in over 20 some odd years have you not done something about it to make it better? Yet, you sit and preach your condemnation about a city as if it is a living entity that is able to do something about it, all the while you yourself are a part of that entity, you are part of the reason that it is lacking something that it so desperately needs, (if it truly does) so remember, while you sit back, complain despise this city, degrade it with your words, we all are wondering, what have you done in the 20 years you have lived here to benefit and make it better? You claim to have wealth, have you helped the arts? I wonder, a complainer, a skeptic, a pessimist, but not a solutionist.
So if you find your solution to life in another city, your OZ, then, Dorothy, click your red heels happily, three times, and we'll all chant with you, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home. bye-bye.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM

175 posts, read 303,873 times
Here we go with the personal attacks, AGAIN. Like I said, it's not I, or anyone else who complains about the backward qualities of SA that is insecure, it's the residents....because they may not care to admit that some of those observations are true.

You don't know me at all, so please refrain from referring to me as "insecure", "immature", and "unhappy". San Antonio is the only place I have hated, so get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
There are a lot of positive areas and entertainment venues in San Antonio. Anyone that lives here knows that, if you're not happy here, then, by all means, get on the road and go.
I find people that sit around and complain about their surroundings very immature, very insecure, very unhappy.. no matter where they live, they complain about their surroundings to overcome their own shortcomings in life. One would wonder, if you are so unhappy with the artistic venue, why, in over 20 some odd years have you not done something about it to make it better? Yet, you sit and preach your condemnation about a city as if it is a living entity that is able to do something about it, all the while you yourself are a part of that entity, you are part of the reason that it is lacking something that it so desperately needs, (if it truly does) so remember, while you sit back, complain despise this city, degrade it with your words, we all are wondering, what have you done in the 20 years you have lived here to benefit and make it better? You claim to have wealth, have you helped the arts? I wonder, a complainer, a skeptic, a pessimist, but not a solutionist.
So if you find your solution to life in another city, your OZ, then, Dorothy, click your red heels happily, three times, and we'll all chant with you, there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home. bye-bye.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM

284 posts, read 759,154 times
Ah, the delusions of grandeur. Blue Star is horrible - lived there for four years. Currently near Tobin Hill, and it isn't any better. Pearl is geared toward high end shops and renters, and NOT an artist's colony, by any means. I agree with L3 - SA is the only place I've ever hated, and I've lived in New Orleans, Miami, LA, Austin and Nashville. There is a small, ridiculous artistic crowd in SA - all you hear are the same names, over and over again. Big fish in a SMALL pond. I'm getting out of here this summer - Thank God.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Here we go with the personal attacks, AGAIN. Like I said, it's not I, or anyone else who complains about the backward qualities of SA that is insecure, it's the residents....because they may not care to admit that some of those observations are true.

You don't know me at all, so please refrain from referring to me as "insecure", "immature", and "unhappy". San Antonio is the only place I have hated, so get over yourself.
I didn't attack you, I asked, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MAKE IT BETTER!!

If you can't answer anything positive, then we understand what kind of person you are, you aint tried, you sit around and complain, that's all. We all know your type, a complainer, not a doer. whine, whine, whine, let's all join your pity party, let's whine with you, cause you aint gonna do nothing about it cept whine, so keep on whining. At least now you are pegged. A 50 year old whiner. Hell, at least 50 year old wine increases in value.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
Ah, the delusions of grandeur. Blue Star is horrible - lived there for four years. Currently near Tobin Hill, and it isn't any better. Pearl is geared toward high end shops and renters, and NOT an artist's colony, by any means. I agree with L3 - SA is the only place I've ever hated, and I've lived in New Orleans, Miami, LA, Austin and Nashville. There is a small, ridiculous artistic crowd in SA - all you hear are the same names, over and over again. Big fish in a SMALL pond. I'm getting out of here this summer - Thank God.
Adios, arrividerchi, vaya con dios, and don't let your nose get caught on the plane's wings.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
I don't know where you're coming from, or what exactly your definition of "artistic expression" is, but if you demand more than a monthly "freak-for-all" involving copius consumption of liquor that's teeming with loud, obnoxious people, greasy Mexican food, and tacky home-made trinkets trying to pass itself off as a "cultural" event, I think you may find San Antonio rather disappointing.
As opposed to the nightly "freak-for-all" involving copius consumption of liquor that's teeming with loud, obnoxious people that tries to pass itself off as culture in Austin? I've lost count of the number of people that I've met from Austin who come to San Antonio specifically because we have real culture here that Austin can't even come close to manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio