Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times

Advertisements

What's up with texting while driving a bus these days? I have not seen anything in the forums about it, but it seems to be national news out here in Sacramento and also in Atlanta based on the internet search I did after seeing the youtube video on the Sacramento news.

Has this been a newsworthy event in SA? Is there any more to the story that was not hyped up on the news here? I pity the poor guy that was dumb enough to be texting while driving a bus, and feel sorry that Andrew has been identified nationally as the culprit. I hope his employment chances haven't diminished too much, but also hope he is thinking of careers outside of being a professional driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
What's up with texting while driving a bus these days? I have not seen anything in the forums about it, but it seems to be national news out here in Sacramento and also in Atlanta based on the internet search I did after seeing the youtube video on the Sacramento news.

Has this been a newsworthy event in SA? Is there any more to the story that was not hyped up on the news here? I pity the poor guy that was dumb enough to be texting while driving a bus, and feel sorry that Andrew has been identified nationally as the culprit. I hope his employment chances haven't diminished too much, but also hope he is thinking of careers outside of being a professional driver.
Texting was also determined to be a primary factor in the commuter train accident near LA last year that killed 25 people and injured 135. The train engineer was texting to some rail fans and apparently missed a red signal.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
I haven't heard of this before although I'm not surprised. As for his employment possibilities, if he is stupid enough to text while driving a bus then I wouldn't hire him to drive a nail.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM

I am surprised this has not been bigger news. The video from the bus cameras was released to the wild.

Bus Driver Crashes While Texting*Video

TexHwyMan, I read about the train engineer in the same article I read on this incident as well. I was not in CA at that time last year and heard nothing on the Austin news about it then either. Makes me wonder why the hush hush on these events with all the hoopla over cell phones in cars. You would think the texting would be just as big an issue with the news media.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
The texting bus drivers, yes plural, our local TV station, WOAI, 4 did an investigation and found that I believe in 18 months there had been 6 accidents involving drivers that even though it's specifically against VIA policy to even have a "hands-free" blue-tooth device cell phone in use while operating a VIA vehicle, they have caught some doing so. Subsequent offenders have been terminated. We have already done the investigating here in San Antonio, you wouldnt have the video on the internet if they weren't fired. No big news to us now. So go be a General instigator with something that is NEW news, not year old. Hey, I got a tip, a lady out in California may be having 8 babies, go check it out, she's on welfare. keep it on the low-down.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,118 times
It's not just bus drivers. I know of a young man who was being transported to "juvie" by a police officer (not sure if it was SAPD or the ISD) who was texting on her iPhone while driving him there!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
The texting bus drivers, yes plural, our local TV station, WOAI, 4 did an investigation and found that I believe in 18 months there had been 6 accidents involving drivers that even though it's specifically against VIA policy to even have a "hands-free" blue-tooth device cell phone in use while operating a VIA vehicle, they have caught some doing so. Subsequent offenders have been terminated. We have already done the investigating here in San Antonio, you wouldnt have the video on the internet if they weren't fired. No big news to us now. So go be a General instigator with something that is NEW news, not year old. Hey, I got a tip, a lady out in California may be having 8 babies, go check it out, she's on welfare. keep it on the low-down.
Don't be so sensitive, Sinsativ. I just got the word with the rest of the world yesterday. There are no dates on the story as to when the accident occurred so it seemed like it was recent. I was wondering why it was on youtube so quickly, now I know! By the way, the lady out in CA with the mess 'o kids has been covered by the forums quite a bit. check it out!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,405,980 times
I actually ride the VIA bus on a REGULAR basis.

Most do their job right! However, every once in awhile I have to call in to VIA to make a complaint.

JUST last week, a lady who was African-American was on the #20 bus and wanted to go to the downtown library.

The bus driver SIMPLY could have told her to get off at the intersection of San Pedro and Ashby where she then could have crossed the street and caught the #4 San Pedro Bus to downtown. That bus would have dropped her off RIGHT in the back side of the downtown library!

Instead, he kept driving, and told the lady to get off on the North Flores side of San Pedro Park (near that SAHA housing where that lady died recently - it was all over the news).

I couldn't believe he was gonna make her walk THROUGH the muddy San Pedro Park (it rained recently) to go all the way back to San Pedro!

Even someone in the back of the bus yelled to the lady, "it's muddy," and told he told her to get off the bus at Five Points up a couple of blocks.

Poor lady! I called in to report him!

I'm not surprised that some VIA drivers have texted on their phones and I'm glad WOAI aired their report!

Oh, BTW, I saw Inside Edition's Deborah Norville cover the VIA story as well!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,230 times
I just saw a school bus driver do that today...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post

VIA drivers are stupid to begin with, So I could imagine these idiots texting. Remember the time some VIA driver ran over some guy on a bike. Well it turns out that the VIA driver defers from his route, and whats worse he didnt loose his job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio