Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM

57 posts, read 310,225 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with British food?
I've heard alot of Americans go on about how "bland" the food is in the UK, but the simple fact is, it's just not got the ridiculously high salt/artificial additives that alot of American grub's got!
I never realised this until we visited my family for a month and I found myself adding salt to everything that I never did before, just to get the taste!
Each to their own, I guess though!
I wonder if the reason there are no "real" British fish 'n' chips over here is because of a number of things such as, the type of potatos used, the oil they're cooked in, the water...even the climate can make a difference.
Bet you'd find the real thing in any US State that's weather is similar to the UK.
I hear NY has a great "chippy" lol - bit far to travel for a bag though.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Seriously, you are bragging about British cuisine?

I've known a lot of Brits in SA (mostly military or married to military), and most like the food here. I am a big fan of fish & chips, I was over in Huntingdon this past January and had some of the best fish & chips that I can remember; but outside of that and pub grub there really isn't much worth commenting about food-wise in the Uk that was't imported from some other country.

As for the traditional British breakfast, I will pass on the beans and fried tomatos, thank you! I would take a Continental breakfast over it any day of the week!

And in case you haven't seen the thread on Mr Cod, don't waste your time. SilverCreek78250 seemed to have been lucky enough to hit it when they were having a good day, but I tried it last weekend and was very disappointed. Much like German food, I don't think we'll ever see authentic fish & chips in this area; which is a shame as I for one would be a frequent customer of any establishment that could get it right!

Cheers! M2
One Brit here who really isn't keen on the food in SA.
You were in Huntingdon, we were stationed there at Alconbury was the chip shop Hodsons at the end of the High Street near the ring road ???
Thats one thing I miss about England the food - fresh cream cakes from the bakers not plastic cream, cheese so hard to find decent cheese. Bread I have found from Nadlers love it, Walkers crisps (chips), chinese isn't the same here Indian food is but do love the weather so you just can't have everything.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
You were in Huntingdon, we were stationed there at Alconbury was the chip shop Hodsons at the end of the High Street near the ring road ???
Yep, I am pretty sure that's the place. Right across the street from the church, and just before St Mary's Street, right? I believe the name is Barney's Plaice.

Marvelous fish & chips, especially on a cold, rainy January evening when I was starving.

What I wouldn't give to have some right now!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Well, they sure have d*mn good tea.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yep, I am pretty sure that's the place. Right across the street from the church, and just before St Mary's Street, right? I believe the name is Barney's Plaice.

Marvelous fish & chips, especially on a cold, rainy January evening when I was starving.

What I wouldn't give to have some right now!

Cheers! M2
I know the one you mean was thinking about the one the other end of the High St

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM

I'll be honest, I hate the food in S.A. Can't say the same for the rest of America because this is the only state I've been to.
Thre just seems to be such limited choice in anything that's marginally good for you - every item you pick up that sounds decent, it's full of high fructose corn syrup (the cheap, sickly sweet alternative to sugar), loads of additives and false colours/flavours.
I agree about the cheese and cream... I've lost count how many times I've bitten into what I thought was a real cream cake only to spit it out, realising it's that revolting plasticky stuff.
And you have to spend a fortune to get a cheese that has any taste!
For the person who mentioned the cheese... try Tilamook extra sharp. It comes in a pretty large block and is around $6, found in the general cheese/chiller isle. It's alot like the medium-strong chedder back in the UK.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I know the one you mean was thinking about the one the other end of the High St
I only know of the one the opposite side of the High Street from the George Hotel (where we usually stay). There is a church across the street from the George, but the chippie is on the other side, closer to the Old Bridge Hotel. Here's a map.

I don't recall any other fish & chips shops in Huntingdon...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
I love the food in the UK, bar haggis, "British Mexican food", and pub spaghetti!

I would give so much to have a pasty that has the correct filling and correct 'dough' for a crispy outside. Are there any pasty shops in San Antonio? I know up north, especially in Michigan they are a lot of them!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 PM

If I had enough outlay to do it, I'd open a REAL British restaurant and get all the ingrediants imported. That's the only way to do it, I think. Maybe I'm imagining it though, but in my opinion, most of the people in S.A are a bit tunnel-visioned when it comes to trying anything other than steak or Mexican food.
I remember when I first met my husband's eldest niece, and the second she heard my accent, she screwed her nose up and said, "Ughhh, British food is sooooo bland".
Her response when I asked if she'd ever actually TRIED real British food?
"Well, no but everyone knows it's bland".
Pfffffft

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
I'd like to see all the local pubs do a Sunday roast.

I've had a decent pastie at the Lion & Rose on Sonterra. I've tried the same thing at their location on Blanco and it was nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio