Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 AM

26 posts, read 77,619 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are planning to relocate from Connecticut in hopefully the next four months. We have been looking at Seguin for a possible location. We would like some acreage for our two dogs to be able to run around in. Don't know much about this area at all, just going by some real estate searches within 20 miles of San Antonio. Any help about what this area is like would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,835,427 times
Motorcycle Girl: I live in Seguin. I live on Barbarossa Rd., off Cordova between Hwy 123 and Hwy 46. Most of the lots out here are 1 and 2 acres, some larger. My neighbors have airplanes, horses, goats, peacocks, guine hens, you name it. Plenty of room for dogs. You can find homes from $125 k to $1,000,000. We are near Lake McQueeny and Lake Placid. We are on the north side of Seguin, about 6 miles. In the Navarro School District. We are also about 7 miles from new Braunfels. Hope you can find a place.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Motorcycle Girl: I live in Seguin. I live on Barbarossa Rd., off Cordova between Hwy 123 and Hwy 46. Most of the lots out here are 1 and 2 acres, some larger. My neighbors have airplanes, horses, goats, peacocks, guine hens, you name it. Plenty of room for dogs. You can find homes from $125 k to $1,000,000. We are near Lake McQueeny and Lake Placid. We are on the north side of Seguin, about 6 miles. In the Navarro School District. We are also about 7 miles from new Braunfels. Hope you can find a place.
gy2020 hit the nail on the head.

Off of 10 between 123 and 46. There are some neighborhoods in there (including Las Brisas that do not have acreage) but most of the neighborhoods in the area that are outside of Seguin proper have large lots and finding a home with acreage (depending on your price range) should not be a problem.

Actually, even going a bit north on either isn't a bad idea, New Braunfels and San Marcos (Geronimo) are good choices as well. We found a house off of FM 20 that we fell in love with with some acreage, but ended up passing on it because the timing wasn't right (that was like 2 years ago?)

Consider looking a tad bit south of Seguin towards Stockdale as well (123 south of Seguin). My family found a snazzy little house out in the middle of nowhere with some acreage out that way, but my mom likes being closer to town (a la Wal-Mart) so we passed on it (same time period).

If you are not dead set on Seguin, even check out Marion, you'll get acreage out that way too.

We never did end up moving in that direction and are now focusing more on the Garden Ridge/Schertz/extreme southern portion of New Braunfels and looking for the same thing you are...but still, Seguin is a great area!

If you look on 78 towards McQueeny you'll get closer to the lake and I'm really not sure about acreage over there, it's more prone to flooding over there because you're so close to the water. I'd go closer to the 46/123 route though.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Towns around San Antonio:
Comfort, TX picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

More Towns around San Antonio:
bt1884 :: SanMarcosskyline.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

Gruene Hall, Gruene, TX (north of New Braunfels):
Gruene Hall :: GrueneHallPartyPics001.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Thanks very much to you both for your most helpful info. We have been searching on Realtor.com and have found a few possibles including a manufactured home on 10 acres that is on Hwy 123. I assume this is not a 3 or 4 lane highway! I have a few concerns since I have never been to Texas. One is the weather, i.e. tornados and other serious weather. Also, I realize every place has its good and bad, but is the crime rate a concern in this area? I would assume that San Antonio like many large cities have its share, but I would hope that being on the outskirts its a little better.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,704,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Girl View Post
I have a few concerns since I have never been to Texas.
Wait. So you're looking to buy land in Seguin but you've never been to Texas? Why don't you make a trip first? Also, why did you pick Seguin? Nothing wrong with Seguin, I like it actually. Just wondering.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
If you like the rural area of Seguin, for whatever reason, and you are coming from Conn. You don't know the area, there are also a few other areas you may want to look at in that same vicinity, namely, Floresville, La Vernia, China Grove, Mathis, New Berlin and such. If you give more parameters of your needs, I know I for one would be glad to help you look. DM if you care.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM

We plan on coming down first. We knew we wanted to be around the SA area, so we searched within 20 miles to start. I will definitely expand my search.

Thanks for the suggestions and the offer, Sinsativ! Hey, just out of curiousity, is this the same China Grove from the Doobies song?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Girl View Post
Hey, just out of curiousity, is this the same China Grove from the Doobies song?
Yep.

Quote:
When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town
Down around san antone.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Motorcycle Girl:
My neighbor and his brother are large land owners in the area. There is a two acre lot next to our house. You might look at buying land and then having a house built. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio