Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 19,613 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know there are several posts on here about young single men moving to San Antonio, but I am a 25 year old female who will be working downtown and at Medical Center. I need info about what neighborhoods, streets, or areas that are good, fabulous places to move to. I also have a dog...so parks or grass would be nice lol I do not know if anyone knows anything about Indianapolis, Chicago or Louisville, but I am looking for an area like Broad Ripple in Indy or Wrigleyville in Chi or 4th Street in Louie...I hear King William is great, BUT my budget is not that high...I want somewhere with bars and shopping close and that is close to downtown if I can...and I need a good area/safe area...I definitely do not want to live in a bad area...I am moving from many states away and need to find somewhere good if I'm making this move!!! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Check out Mahncke Park. I think that should be a good place for you to start. It's close to downtown and an easy commute to the Medical Center (it's not five minutes...but it's not an hour) and it is close to where some twenty somethings live within a reasonable budget.

You should be able to find a nice little apartment (fourplex, duplex) or bungalow to rent with some grass and parks for the dogs. But, if Apartment complex living is more your style, check out Alamo Heights too, there are some newer places near The Quarry that are reasonable too that have the same young vibe as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Downtown is a great option, though I'm not entirely sure what your price range is.

If King William is out of your price just try the neighborhood adjacent, Lavaca. It's an up and coming neighborhood. Also, Tobin Hill, Beacon Hill and Mahncke Park.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM

278 posts, read 693,170 times
i've been to wrigleyville and SA has nothing like that. you can bar hop around downtown but its a more ghetto vibe here. i never once felt unsafe in wrigleyville. st. marys has a strip of bars but nowhere near the size and st marys is mostly dive bars.

theres only 2 dog parks in town and only one that you would want to go to.

how much are you looking to pay for housing? that will really determine where you should be.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethdm View Post
Ok, I know there are several posts on here about young single men moving to San Antonio, but I am a 25 year old female who will be working downtown and at Medical Center. I need info about what neighborhoods, streets, or areas that are good, fabulous places to move to. I also have a dog...so parks or grass would be nice lol I do not know if anyone knows anything about Indianapolis, Chicago or Louisville, but I am looking for an area like Broad Ripple in Indy or Wrigleyville in Chi or 4th Street in Louie...I hear King William is great, BUT my budget is not that high...I want somewhere with bars and shopping close and that is close to downtown if I can...and I need a good area/safe area...I definitely do not want to live in a bad area...I am moving from many states away and need to find somewhere good if I'm making this move!!! Please help!
Elizabeth -

First - welcome to SA. It's a relatively low-density city, meaning that we don't have near the level of walkability and mixed-use neighborhoods you might be expecting. What we DO have is a great "fabric" of intact historic neighborhoods that surround our downtown (which, due to tourism, is one of the few "24/7" downtowns in the country), a low cost of living, and fun, easy-to-like people. Plus, the SA food & drink "institutions"

And the good news is that all of these neighborhoods are starting to see more and more businesses (cafes, restaurants, bars, in particular) open up. Plus, the SA food & drink "institutions", museums, music clubs, and galleries are all down here.

The redevelopment of the Pearl Brewery into a new urbanist center will be key. There is going to be a heavy emphasis on "all things food" at Pearl, and it's located between the northern historic neighborhoods (Mahncke Park, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights) and downtown SA.

Southtown (King William, Lavaca, South Flores) is more artistic-funky than the aforementioned northern neighborhoods, and is probably the most walkable part of SA (though a case could be made for Alamo Heights, as well). It doesn't have a true grocery store, but there are some small market options in downtown proper. Plus, the VIA trolleys run through Southtown, so getting anyplace downtown on foot is really convenient.

There are plenty of places to rent in both the Northern neighborhoods and Southtown that are relatively affordable - I know plenty of folks who pay less than $1,000/month for cool one-bedrooms. If you search for threads with the names of some of these neighborhoods, you should see discussions of the virtues and drawbacks of the different neighborhoods.

Whatever you do, please don't live in the Medical Center. Ugh. Again, welcome to town.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
i've been to wrigleyville and SA has nothing like that. you can bar hop around downtown but its a more ghetto vibe here. i never once felt unsafe in wrigleyville.

I've never felt unsafe downtown when exploring the nightlife neither will she. Also, calling anything downtown ghetto is a gross misrepresentation of downtown.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Elizabeth -

First - welcome to SA. It's a relatively low-density city, meaning that we don't have near the level of walkability and mixed-use neighborhoods you might be expecting. What we DO have is a great "fabric" of intact historic neighborhoods that surround our downtown (which, due to tourism, is one of the few "24/7" downtowns in the country), a low cost of living, and fun, easy-to-like people. Plus, the SA food & drink "institutions"

And the good news is that all of these neighborhoods are starting to see more and more businesses (cafes, restaurants, bars, in particular) open up. Plus, the SA food & drink "institutions", museums, music clubs, and galleries are all down here.

The redevelopment of the Pearl Brewery into a new urbanist center will be key. There is going to be a heavy emphasis on "all things food" at Pearl, and it's located between the northern historic neighborhoods (Mahncke Park, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights) and downtown SA.

Southtown (King William, Lavaca, South Flores) is more artistic-funky than the aforementioned northern neighborhoods, and is probably the most walkable part of SA (though a case could be made for Alamo Heights, as well). It doesn't have a true grocery store, but there are some small market options in downtown proper. Plus, the VIA trolleys run through Southtown, so getting anyplace downtown on foot is really convenient.

There are plenty of places to rent in both the Northern neighborhoods and Southtown that are relatively affordable - I know plenty of folks who pay less than $1,000/month for cool one-bedrooms. If you search for threads with the names of some of these neighborhoods, you should see discussions of the virtues and drawbacks of the different neighborhoods
Great post!

Also, you forgot to mention River North. In a few years, watch out!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

278 posts, read 693,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I've never felt unsafe downtown when exploring the nightlife neither will she. Also, calling anything downtown ghetto is a gross misrepresentation of downtown.
you obviously dont go out much. ive had a bloody brawl break out in front of me while walking past a club across from the hyatt.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
you obviously dont go out much. ive had a bloody brawl break out in front of me while walking past a club across from the hyatt.
Yet, that's soooo ghetto.

You may want to stay clear of LA's or better yet, Hollywood's night life because bloody brawls break out on a nightly basis. I'm talking about in front or near clubs that celebrities frequent.

I guess the point, try and use the word "ghetto" in the proper context next time.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
Quote:
The redevelopment of the Pearl Brewery into a new urbanist center will be key. There is going to be a heavy emphasis on "all things food" at Pearl
What is the timetable for this ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio