Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 PM

35 posts, read 87,992 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm online right now and I new network has popped up in my area called "SAFreeWifi". Its unsecured, so I'm pretty sure some one is just stupid or its a scam. I've heard of wifi scams were people put of free networks in airports and stuff, then steal info of people as the surf the web on their network, but I haven't heard of this in any neighborhoods. I called SAPD and asked if they had heard of any scams like this going around and they said no. Anyone else in the city seen something like this? I know never to join an unsecure network, but some peoples pc do it automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I would stay away from it for the reasons you gave.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder8181 View Post
Hey I'm online right now and I new network has popped up in my area called "SAFreeWifi". Its unsecured, so I'm pretty sure some one is just stupid or its a scam. I've heard of wifi scams were people put of free networks in airports and stuff, then steal info of people as the surf the web on their network, but I haven't heard of this in any neighborhoods. I called SAPD and asked if they had heard of any scams like this going around and they said no. Anyone else in the city seen something like this? I know never to join an unsecure network, but some peoples pc do it automatically.
Where were you when you picked up "SAFreeWiFi"?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
It could be legitimate. I used to play online poker during my lunch breaks at the Vance Jackson library, and the network you connected to was some free, unsecured network, but I can't remember it's name.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
That's the City's public access internet connection downtown. It may be in other places also. It was originally set up so city contractors wouldn't have to be given access to the City's secure network to access the web but anyone can use it.

When you connect to it, you'll get the City's terms of agreement.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
yeah it sounds a lot like what i connect to whilst at the airport waiting for a flight...

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 42,753 times
Default safreewifi

I was at Bill Millers, Vance Jackson & IH10, when I noticed "SAFreeWifi" popped up on my screen with City of SA Terms of Agreement. I clicked, but it was slow as molasses. I turned off the wifi on my cell and used my Vzn 4G, which is lightning fast.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

314 posts, read 832,138 times
Free wifi is safe for surfing but stay away from anything that requires username or password unless it is encrypted and the encryption cert is valid...

Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM

99 posts, read 223,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhaven View Post
I was at Bill Millers, Vance Jackson & IH10, when I noticed "SAFreeWifi" popped up on my screen with City of SA Terms of Agreement. I clicked, but it was slow as molasses. I turned off the wifi on my cell and used my Vzn 4G, which is lightning fast.
Westfall Library is a little less than a couple football fields away, you probably had a weak connection to there.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM

27 posts, read 52,597 times
Guys, It's safe and it's real. It's public wifi paid for by San Antonio. It's for light tasks such as checking schedules, facebook, or anything else. Of course don't go and check your bank account and or sign in to anything you're not comfortable with. Oh and don't try to torrent anything of course. But no, it's not a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: