Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,591,861 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a chance with this thread. PLEASE don't let it become a shootin' match.

But I am curious as to how many of you prefer:

- A brand new house
- A newish house (15 to 40 years old)
- An old house (40 years old or older) that's been remodeled/refreshed
- An old house that's a fixer-upper
- None of the above/something completely different

ETA: Assume all these houses are in San Antonio, with our 'hoods the way they are now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,801,247 times
a lot depends on the builder

Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM

298 posts, read 941,506 times
I would never buy a house built in the late 70's/early 80's with the contemporary look....high pitched roof....angular windows...kinda of like the homes in Hunters Creek.....great area but the homes are not my style

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,520,459 times
Of your choices, the one closest to what I'd answer is "an older house that's been remodeled/refreshed" ~ UNLESS it's very obvious that it wasn't "flipped"! That's what we ended up doing because it was a very rushed decision. Had we taken more time AND had a good Realtor (it was just before I went to RE school and got my license and learned WHY you should always have a Buyer's Agent! LOL!), we probably wouldn't have bought this house. AMAZING what pops up after that "fresh coat of paint" starts peeling away!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,579,791 times
I wouldn't want to live in a house in an "up and coming" neighborhood that used to be out in the middle of nowhere. One that the developers are flocking to..putting nail salons and Jack in the Boxes and Starbucks one on top of each other. One where cookie cutter neighborhoods are placed one after another and you can breathe on top of your neighbor who has exactly the same house as you do...down the the same paint color and patio set.

Whatever neighborhood that is. It could be a number of areas...from the far east side to the far southside. It's just not my cup of tea. I'd rather live in a nice little house where the dogs can go out and bark and not get yelled at fix my house up how I wanted to. My honest to goodness dream house is a little one on the near westside, maybe woodlawn?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I wouldn't want to live in a house in an "up and coming" neighborhood that used to be out in the middle of nowhere. One that the developers are flocking to..putting nail salons and Jack in the Boxes and Starbucks one on top of each other. One where cookie cutter neighborhoods are placed one after another and you can breathe on top of your neighbor who has exactly the same house as you do...down the the same paint color and patio set.

Whatever neighborhood that is. It could be a number of areas...from the far east side to the far southside. It's just not my cup of tea. I'd rather live in a nice little house where the dogs can go out and bark and not get yelled at fix my house up how I wanted to. My honest to goodness dream house is a little one on the near westside, maybe woodlawn?
Ashbeeigh, this is my preference as well, right down to the Woodlawn area. We're looking in that neighborhood, as well as in Hillcrest and Balcones Heights.

I'd prefer NOT to have a fixer-upper, though. My dream house would be an old home, built in the early 1900s, that has been recently updated throughout...but retaining its original hardwood floors.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

824 posts, read 1,808,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Me neither. All kinds of "cost cutting" shortcuts.
Just so you know, almost every production homebuilder in SA uses precisely the same type of building technology (built by the same shoddy subcontractors). The whole debate about which mega-builder is best or worst is really funny, because from a structural stanpoint, they're virtually all the same.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM

431 posts, read 1,198,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
I would never buy a house built in the late 70's/early 80's with the contemporary look....high pitched roof....angular windows...kinda of like the homes in Hunters Creek.....great area but the homes are not my style
Heh...I actually like this style quite a bit. The natural light from the angles and windows does well on the interiors too.

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Bo; 05-09-2009 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,380 times
i guess i am the minority here --- but dh and i prefer new construction --- both the homes we have purchased we contracted to be built --- i guess we just prefer knowing that everything is new and we have warranties on everything...our current builder offers a 2yr home warranty and it's comforting to know that we can put in a work order and things will be done...

with that being said...in looking at real estate websites i do find myself really be drawn to homes in the Monte Vista area or similar that have been redone on the inside but still have that old charm...

Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a brand new house IF it were in an older neighborhood and it looked like an old house. I'd also have to hire a builder who wasn't one of the corporate builders. I don't know how I would go about that, but that's ok because it's never going to happen.

Thanks for your posts, guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio