Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
A 50'x80' lot? A corded electric mower might work for you if you don't have much in the way of obstructions (like trees), and you have an electrical outlet on the outside front wall of the house, and another on the outside back wall. With a corded electric mower, you need to start near the electrical outlet and mow away from it. Some corded electric mowers are eligible for a CPS rebate - $20 without trade, $40 with trade. They ususally sell for about $150-$250.
I only have 2 small trees in my front yard (About 15'x30' yard) and I have receptacles in the front and back.
Has anybody used a corded lawn mower,
Is it as much of a pain in the ..... as it seems that it would be?
I wouldn't mind using a corded lawn mower, I just hope is not as bad as using a vacuum.

I'm checking in the Garden Forum and House forum ... but thanks anyway

Last edited by Dopo; 05-10-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:38 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm closing on my first home next week, so I'm buying a new lawn mower sometime soon. My house is gonna be in Cibolo.

Can somebody give me the pros and cons of buying gas vs electric? (Price is not a problem, as long as is worthy)
My yard is gonna be about 85'x50'
Just get one of those old fashioned push reel mowers (made especially for postage stamp sized lots). This way you have no cord and no gas engine to worry about. You could knock that yard out in about 20 minutes with it.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM

20 posts, read 66,148 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind using a corded lawn mower, I just hope is not as bad as using a vacuum.
Dopo,

I have used a corded and went to cordless. Your vacuuming comparison is perfect; it is all about cord management and made mowing more of a chore. Cordless is a bit more expension but has been worth it to me.

'Coop

Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniCoop View Post
Dopo,

I have used a corded and went to cordless. Your vacuuming comparison is perfect; it is all about cord management and made mowing more of a chore. Cordless is a bit more expension but has been worth it to me.

'Coop
Thanks

Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
I only have 2 small trees in my front yard (About 15'x30' yard) and I have receptacles in the front and back.

I used to have a corded mower (it came with the house I rented). Fairly large lot but very rectangular, no real tree problems. Mixed feelings. It worked well, but it was a pain to drag the cord everywhere and try to prevent running over it.

Later I rented a house that came with a cordless. Yard was small, but it still barely held the charge and wasn't very good.

This house, yard is large, lots of trees, we went with gas, although I may end up sharpening the blades of the old push reel mower I found in the garage and using that....no problems with the gas, just don't like using it. I also have a corded edger and it's a PITA carrying the cord around.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,168 times
Quote:

I've used a corded mower on a lot slightly larger, just used an extension cord. My 14yr old even uses it with no problem. Actually...I'm the one out of the two of us that actually ran over the cord! No fireweorks or sparks or charges of static...thing just shut off. Nothing that some electrical tape couldn't fix!
For our small yard and the amount of water we don't get, the electric was the best option for me. Grass doesn't grow much in a drought! Couldn't see paying out the extra expense for a battery operated one.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
I've checked out the Black & Decker Cordless Mower, Black & Decker Outdoor | Cordless Mower

There are so many other brands of electric mowers, I'd like to gather the opinion of anyone who has had experience owning one. I noticed CPS is offering a rebate, and would like to buy one soon.
I own the model that came before it, the CMM1000. The charge was barely enough to finish my approximately 5000sq ft lawn which is in accordance with their specs for a "heavy" lawn: Black & Decker Outdoor | Cordless Mower | Is Cordless For Me?
I have St. Augustine grass which is a little tougher to cut and I also prefer to leave it a litte taller which means the mower has a bit of a harder time cutting it. Unfortunately, mine only lasted two summers before it stopped holding a charge. I had purchased it online so I didn't know where to send it for repairs, plus I got busy and just started hiring a mowing service so I never got it fixed.
I'd definitely recommend going with an electric cordless from a local store, just make sure it comes with a good warranty or maybe get an extended one. This machine makes a loud humming noise which is definitely better than the regular deafening sound of a gas-powered one.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,689 times
I had a B and D that lasted about 12 years before it gave it up and I got a new one. Managing to cord is not that hard as compared to managing a gas engine.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Electric lawn mowers need so much less maintenance than gasoline ones! I bought a corded Black and Decker model (same size as a regular mower) at an outlet mall for about $45 5 years ago and it's been completely maintenance-free aside from keeping the blade sharp. In that same timeframe my parents have been through two gasoline-powered ones, each of them costing much more than the electric.

It does a great job cutting the grass too - looks the same as whatever the lawn guys that do the houses on both sides use.

I know it's not a cordless, but wanted to throw in a review of a regular electric anyway.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Electric lawn mowers need so much less maintenance than gasoline ones! I bought a corded Black and Decker model (same size as a regular mower) at an outlet mall for about $45 5 years ago and it's been completely maintenance-free aside from keeping the blade sharp. In that same timeframe my parents have been through two gasoline-powered ones, each of them costing much more than the electric.
FWIW - we bought our gas mower in Dec 2004 and the most we've had to do is change the filter regularly. No other maintenance (and we use pretty old gas too).

Note that the electric are generally more environmentally friendly so I'm not really arguing in favour of the gas mowers, just providing another data point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio