Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times

Advertisements

eger, Mexican Americans ARE Americans.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
My gf has difficulty getting a job, as everytime she goes somewhere to interview the female interviewer is overweight, and you can just tell they have attitude when my gf walks through the door. Comments have been made (do you eat, you need to eat, speaking spanish about her while she is still sitting there). A job will be given to a Mexican American before an American is hired. It's like this in some states where whites only hire whites.
Hello! Mexican Americans ARE American.

Quote:
& for every bad thing I mentioned, I can come up with something positive too.
Go ahead...

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

50 posts, read 90,837 times
Eger - I second you on this. My GF came here last weekend and as we went to dinner and lunch, she said she felt she was getting nasty looks and she thinks it was because she is very fit.

To everyone else: It seems like the things you champion about San Antonio are things that are part of every city. And to tell the truth, they do them quite worse. What is better in San Antonio than anywhere else? Mexican food..maybe, but come on..I think the city has a eating problem as it is.

And again, the point to these posts is to have a conversation with people who are in San Antonio,but are not happy with what is here. Yes, they might move, might stay but that does not make difference. People moved here for one reason or another and might be happy or might not.
I think that is a fair subject.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
Eger - I second you on this. My GF came here last weekend and as we went to dinner and lunch, she said she felt she was getting nasty looks and she thinks it was because she is very fit.

OMG....OMG...OMG!!!!! *rotflmao*

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,757 times
Y'all are crazy if you think you get weird looks for being fit.

That is an absolute personal problem of your own, if you think someone is going to look at you nasty for that. Holy crap people.

Eger, you made a few (just a few) good points in your post, but as a fellow bodybuilder/gymrat, you are crazy if you think people here specifically look at "us" differently for looking and eating healthy. If anything, they are either impressed or jealous. Definitely not scornful...that doesn't even make sense.

The one thing you said that is absolutely true is that a majority of people here are very obese and/or out of shape. That is a sad thing that will probably never change. Refried beans, chorizo, queso, and calorie-laden margaritas aren't going anywhere. :-/ (I'll give a pass to the 'ritas )

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM

77 posts, read 263,495 times
I see your point. Being older I remember the only time traffic would jam up is at 5 and only at medical center or downtown. I miss seeing old style homes instead of the GLORIFIED APARTMENTS kb style homes. I miss being able to have a piddly little job like working at the health store and STILL being able to live comfortably. HOWEVER, we all have to embrace change because we cant really stop it. It took some time for me to just give in, but we are still not as bad as other cities.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM

77 posts, read 263,495 times
"I've run into a large handful of people here who "hate" San Antonio and are very vocal about it. They imagine that life would be magical anywhere else. I can't stand this negativity." THATS right! Like 90% of people that I know who leave, always come back! Once they deal with other cities crap, they miss our crap! LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM

237 posts, read 600,862 times
Want a depressing city to live in? Take a weekend trip to Clovis, New Mexico.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
completely agree with Eger on the quality of food here. Find it very hard to get a decent meal.

Here's a funny story though...I'm originally from upstate NY which I firmly believe is one of the most beautiful and --aside from the high taxes -- best places to live. Right around the time I moved here, an anchorwoman from one of San Antonio's news stations took a job in my hometown. Not long after, I heard she quit and moved back to SA. Apparently she absolutely hated New York, which I found amusing since I kept saying I hated San Antonio.

It really comes down to individual taste. If we all liked the same things, the same places, how boring (and crowded) would that be??

Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM

130 posts, read 126,595 times
I love S.A.!!!

Love NY even more!
Except paying close to $20 for good guacomole!!!!!!.., but to make up for it.. if you catch the right subway., you can have your own mariachi band playing for you!!!

I miss S.A. sometimes because I think of it the way it was when I moved, over 15 years ago. The highways just keep getting wider and traffic just keeps getting worse. I visit.., but can not imagine settling back into S.A. life.

Upstate NY is one of my favorite places on the planet!!!!!!!!! Fingerlakes are amazing!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio