Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 43,914 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are on the hunt for a new swing/play set for our boys (ages 2 and 6). We're looking for something durable with quality construction and parts.
We've been looking at Rainbow in Fair Oaks (too expensive), Gorilla (shipping from Georgia is $99 right now but it also sells at Home Dept for same price) and a few others at Sam's and Costco online.
My question is- can anyone reccommend or provide warnings about which playsets are worthy or not. The budget is $1500- $2000. Our backyard is sizable so we're not too worried about size.
We'd also like some advice on the installation. I'm willing to pay (hubby thinks he can install it himself ). I know they're difficult to install, even for "do it yourselfers." Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

796 posts, read 3,049,186 times
The Costco online price is more expensive than purchasing it in the store because of shipping. Just incase you didn't know. :0)

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will call and get specifics.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM

52 posts, read 197,281 times
My in-laws bought my daughter a decent wooden swing set last year. It took about four or five hours to put together with the help of my brother in-law. I am a fairly handy guy and should have been able to put it together in about two and a half hours with the help I had. The instructions that came with it were the worst I have ever read in my life - BAR NONE. Make sure you shop around and check out the reviews online for the product you end up going with. Also you should make sure that every single part is individually labeled before you buy. I did my research *after putting the set together* and everyone of the reviews had the same complaint about the instructions. If I had known I wouldn't have let my in-laws pick out that set!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 PM

181 posts, read 611,400 times
I've heard great reviews on both the Costco and Sam's sets for the price.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 25,436 times
I ended up going to the Rainbow Outlet in New Braunfels. Got a great system for half the price! Ours is rather large and we also had them put in a pea gravel pit. I would call them to see where there prices start. I like the Rainbow systems because they are constructed to support adult weight.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM

199 posts, read 707,682 times
When I was in the market for one of these 3 years ago, I asked the people at Costco if they had any info on any installers. I KNEW self-install was not going to work for my DH and I! They actually had a business card of a guy, but I don't recall what happened w/ that. We wound up buying from the Rainbow "outlet" in New Braunfels, but bought a new set and paid them to install it. It is still sturdy, but I wish my kids would use it a bit more. It's so hot here in the summer, they don't want to play with it. I should have survived a summer here first before buying! HTH, good luck!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM

181 posts, read 611,400 times
Would you mind sharing an estimate of what you paid at the outlet? I ask because we have landscapers coming tomorrow to lay mulch/pea gravel and I'm curious if we should hold out and check here.

Also, are you happy with your pea gravel? We've been debating between it and kiddie cushion and can't decide which is best.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
We got our swing set from Sam's --- I bought it online and shipping was included in the price --- it was 1299 and with tax we paid just over 1400...

dh installed it himself but because of his crazy work hours it took about 6days for him to finish it ---

Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the super advice. We ended up going with one from Watson's (Family Leisure). They had a Memorial Day sale with free delivery and free install. The terms on the financing are pretty good too (12 months no pmts/no interest). I liked Rainbow also but they were too pricey for the size we wanted at the Boerne location and we would still have to pay about 500 for install plus the terms were 6 months no payments/interest. I didn't know about the outlet in New Braunfels. Sounds like a good buy.
I got quotes for the installation on the Sam's one we were interested in too (te swing set was $1449). A guy actually told me $725 - sure bud. I was also told about $450-500 was the lowest another would go.
Anywho, Watson's came and installed the swing set and it looks great. It took them about 2.5 hours. We have to level it though. HOA didn't respond by the time of the install so I hope we don't get an unfriendly letter in the mail about the lack of permission. I submitted it five days ahead. Am I supposed to wait until they respond before I buy my swing set? Methinks not. The sale would be over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio