Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

181 posts, read 609,080 times

Advertisements

We're trying to decide if there's anything else we can do with our lawn before replacing? Our front yard had grub worms 1 1/2 years ago. We treated quickly with something my husband found at Fertile Garden, followed up again and then followed with compost.

This year the grass still looks terrible and spread to more of our front yard. We fertilized, covered in compost again and then clovers started coming in everywhere it was dead.

We sprayed the clovers, composted again, watered, watered, watered and it looks TERRIBLE!

At this point we're thinking we need to dig it up and re-sod. Putting down more sod isn't a huge issue-however, we're hesitant because we don't want this happening again. We've only been in our house for just over two years.

So if we re-sod would one of the lawn care companies: Scotts, TruGreen, etc. help keep grub worms and all of this away in the future? We can't afford (or take the time) to keep all of this up. If it weren't against HOA rules I think we'd gravel the whole yard at this point. lol

Any insight or ideas of other things we can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,389,680 times
Just get some stuff at Home Depot for grub worms, lay it down, water, fertilize and water again.

You might be over-fertilizing and burning it up.

As for the clover, though you might not like the look of it, it's great for your soil. Up until WWII, they used clover in lawns with grass. It's great for your lawn. People don't like it now for aesthetic reasons.

I had a lawn that wouldn't grow grass because of too much shade, so I bought clover seed online and it looked and felt awesome. Lawn full of clover. Good stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,172,482 times
What kind of grass is it? St. Augustine?

Do you use a bagger when you mow? We had problems last year and realized it was because we were using the bagger everytime we mowed. Apparently, it was taking all the dirt and nutrients out of the grass. We have quit bagging and it helped a LOT.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. It sounds like you have tried everything I would have except maybe corn meal. I have used corn meal (from the feedstore) on dead patches and it helped.

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks so much to both of you. I didn't realize Home Depot had grub worm supplies as well. We'll definitely go by there and try another round of it with water like you mentioned. Is there any chance of the grass coming back? It's all brown in certain areas w/ no green areas at all. Just brown roots, if that makes sense?

Ahhh! Our poor neighbors, it looks terrible.

Yes, it's St. Augustine and we don't use a bag when we mow. Right now where it's dead we're really not mowing though. It's that bad. It's not even growing or showing any signs of growing-besides the clovers. Thank you for mentioning the corn meal as well, we'll look into that also.

I had no idea about the clovers! Very interesting. Now I feel bad for trying to kill them/pull them up. Perhaps we should just let them go and mix in with the grass. They are filling the areas where the grass is dead quite well, but area a different color/shade.

Thank you for the ideas. We'll definitely try what both of you shared. We're up to anything right now. Thanks again for the great help.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,835,400 times
I was surprised to see HD selling fertilizer with weed killer in it that was not recommended for St. Augstine, the fine print said it would kill St. Augustine grass. It seems like a very strange thing to sell in this area where so many lawns are St. Augustine. If you didn't read the fine print you wouldn't realize that and could seriously damage your lawn.

I have had extreme problems for the last two years getting my lawn to look decent, I think I may have accidentally used a fertilizer like that described above two years ago. It has a been a struggle now to try and nurse it back.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,180 times
FamilyTexas -You were given great advice. You can purchase insecticide for Grub Worms at Wal Mart in order to save money. As suggested when you mow use your mulch feature or let the cuttings dischge onto the grass. You may have to mow over it again to further mulch it.
Grub Worms take a toll on St. Augustine grass since they eat at the roots. As I'm sre you know they become June Bugs. I usually catch the June Bugs and kill them. I know this won't solve the problem but every little bit helps.

One suggestion I would like to offer you is every Sat. and Sunday morning I think at 6oam KTSA 550AM has a great gardening show. The fellow's name is Bob Webster who owns Shades of Green Nursery, Sunset Blvd. San Antonio. As you know you can call him with your questions /concerns.
Milberger's Nrsery,Loop 1`604 and Bulverde Rd. is a great place for advice. Their webpage has a section where you can ask questions. The reply is quick.

Another suggestion is the SAWS webpage. Go to the Conservation Section where they have many garden tips and information with Garden Problems which include grass and insect control.

I hope you do not have to replace your yard but if you do please call SAWS. If I'm correct you will have to obtain a Variance to be able to water your grass which will be on a more frequent basis.

Good Luck.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,172,482 times
One more thing. If you do replace your yard I would suggest NOT going with St. Augustine.
I'm not familiar with other grasses (so I can't help you there) but I know that St. Augustine requires more water than most. If I had to do over, it would definitely NOT be St. Augustine.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks again, you've all been a great help!

Very interesting with the fertilizer. We'll definitely check labels. It's possible that something like this happened; however, the problem with the lawn is mostly (thank heavens) in one general area in the front.

WellGuy-thank you for all of the links/recommendations as well. I'll definitely check them all out now. We definitely need a lawn 101 course. Gah.

Thanks again for all of the help. We'll read up the links shared, call a couple nurseries and look at the products you've all shared. Thank you, thank you. (and I'm sure our neighbors will be thanking you as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio