Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times

Advertisements

If you adjusted salary with C.O.L for every city in this country, SA would be in the upper middle section of a list as opposed to the near bottom if you just compared salaries. You can't ignore cost of living when you're discussing salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
How is cost of living any cheaper here other than real estate?
Gas and food. However, don't dismiss real estate as if it's a small inventory item.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
How is cost of living any cheaper here other than real estate?

Cost of living IMHO is what you make of it. Some people live like money is not an issue or buy more than they need, and some choose to penny pinch.
Cost of living refers to what it costs to buy comparable things in different paces. For example, in Place A it might cost $900 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment. In Place B, a similar apartment (same square footage, similar quality and safety of neighborhood, etc.) might cost $600 a month. The same concept applies to anything else you can buy in different places (food, services, entertainment, etc.).

Cost of living matters more when you're at the bottom end of the income scale. If you can only command minimum wage, for example, would you rather live where the cheapest studio apartment you can find costs $400 a month, or where it costs $750 a month?

Once you get further up the income scale what you spend on living expenses becomes more of a lifestyle choice, but that's something totally different than what is meant by the cost of living in an area.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Cost of living refers to what it costs to buy comparable things in different paces. For example, in Place A it might cost $900 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment. In Place B, a similar apartment (same square footage, similar quality and safety of neighborhood, etc.) might cost $600 a month. The same concept applies to anything else you can buy in different places.

Cost of living matters more when you're at the bottom end of the income scale. If you can only command minimum wage, for example, would you rather live where the cheapest studio apartment you can find costs $400 a month, or where it costs $750 a month?

Once you get further up the income scale what you spend on living expenses becomes more of a lifestyle choice, but that's something totally different than what is meant by the cost of living in an area.
Thx

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Gas and food. However, don't dismiss real estate as if it's a small inventory item.
This reminded me of a really good example of cost of living differences. I used to live in Arizona and I find electricity here to be significantly cheaper. The bills I'm comparing are both for one-bedroom apartments of roughly the same size, both air conditioned. I definitely use more electricity here (not sure how much more, but I'm absolutely certain it can't be less or even the same), but my electricity bill is at least a third less per month of what it was in Arizona, sometimes the difference is even larger.

I'm not sure why that's the case, but there it is.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
I don't believe it.... Kansas City is MUCH cheaper than San Antonio.
I have to disagree,
In 2005 I rented a 1000sqft apartment in Overland Park (KC nice area) for $850 and it seemed to be a good deal.
3 years later, in 2008, I rented a 1000sqft apartment in North San Antonio, close to 281 and Thousand Oaks for $750 a month.

Besides, KC should be cheaper since is in the middle of the plains and there's absolutely nothing to do outside of KC except for the few lakes that are close the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio