Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Since it costs so little, it is actually a good idea to get it serviced every 6 months. It's only about $65. Well worth it and much cheaper to catch a problem early (like a minor freon leak) than later.

And Jules, you know I've got a referral for everything! Just DM'd ya!
Kev, I usually agree with everything you say but I have to argue this one .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Jules, don't do a checkup unless it isn't working.

As long as you keep your filters changed (monthly) and it is blowing cold air and keeping your house cool there is no reason to waste your money.
This is what I do. So far, so good. Every month on the 15th like clockwork I change the filter. Almost 3 years with no problems.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
No worries. I just feel that if something goes out on the A/C, it's usually got warning signs that can be addressed before it gets really bad. Little things can add up to big things if not addressed.

To each their own. But like you said, the most important thing is to change those filters religiously.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
No worries. I just feel that if something goes out on the A/C, it's usually got warning signs that can be addressed before it gets really bad. Little things can add up to big things if not addressed.

To each their own. But like you said, the most important thing is to change those filters religiously.
Well, maybe I cheat..... My dh is an A/C guy .

Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
The truth comes out....you know he's got that unit open, checking it out when you're out shopping!!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Jules, don't do a checkup unless it isn't working.

As long as you keep your filters changed (monthly) and it is blowing cold air and keeping your house cool there is no reason to waste your money.
i disagree, if we hadn't had ours checked out, we'd never have known that we were air conditioning our attic with all of the leaks we had. or that there was some mold/mildew on some of the ducts and this house is only three years old!
But to each their own. your money, your house, right.

i do agree about the filters. we had a bigger filter in our house in illinois that i think we only changed once a year, but in iowa it was every 2 months. we found out after we didn't at first and it "froze" up our a/c on guess what...the hottest day of the year

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
IMO residential air conditioning systems need

- filters changed whenever they need it (depends more upon your house and situation than anything else)
- to have the top of the unit outside popped off once/year and the coil sprayed from the inside to keep it all clean and as efficient as possible
- ducts that don't leak. i've never had one spring a leak before, IMO it depends more upon how it was installed than anything else. just go up in the attic sometime and give it the back of the hand test.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
IMO residential air conditioning systems need

- filters changed whenever they need it (depends more upon your house and situation than anything else)
- to have the top of the unit outside popped off once/year and the coil sprayed from the inside to keep it all clean and as efficient as possible
- ducts that don't leak. i've never had one spring a leak before, IMO it depends more upon how it was installed than anything else. just go up in the attic sometime and give it the back of the hand test.
Agreed. I laugh when some people change filters every month even when many times they don't need it. It just costs them more money and creates more trash to go into the landfill. A good rule of thumb is to check them onces per month and change as needed. To your point - it depends on the house/situation.

I too take the top of the outside unit off at least once per year to clean it out well. Also - make sure there are no plants or debri around the outside of the unit. It pulls air in the sides through the coils and blows it out the top. If the unit is blocked on the outside (many times by bushes) it reduces the efficiency.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
And don't forget to throw the breaker first, or you might get a nasty surprise if the thing turns on and the fan starts up!

whackwhackwhackwhack

Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Agreed. I laugh when some people change filters every month even when many times they don't need it. It just costs them more money and creates more trash to go into the landfill. A good rule of thumb is to check them onces per month and change as needed. To your point - it depends on the house/situation.

I too take the top of the outside unit off at least once per year to clean it out well. Also - make sure there are no plants or debri around the outside of the unit. It pulls air in the sides through the coils and blows it out the top. If the unit is blocked on the outside (many times by bushes) it reduces the efficiency.
good advice. I tell people change them once a month (it is just easier that way) but sometimes it isn't needed. Another thing to check for is fire ants around the unit, they will get on the contactor and cause the unit to not come on.
My dh always complains about dog hair on outside units, and sometimes inside units as well . He doesn't do too much residential anymore (just for friends/family) when he did, he would have a gross story 95% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio