Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times

Advertisements

Smells like new car in there. I went to one of the soft openings, I think they did a pretty good job with the look of the place. I wonder if this will be a more commercial location leaving the Westlakes location more like the rowdy younger cousin. I hope they follow the same format and offer B-movies, I live less than 5 mins. by car from the new theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Went last night for an event. People are going to have a really hard time getting up during a film if need be.

The seat bottoms do not bend all the way to meet the seat back, so if you are sitting and a person a few seats down needs to make his or her way out of the row, look out. You pretty much need to stand up and lean back, but leaning back all the way is not possible b/c of the seat. And that was "average" sized people making their way past other averaged sized people...

Anyway, the place is pretty neat. 30 beers on tap with seasonal offerings promised as well. Decent food menu and decent prices all around too. It is a bit odd though that the staff enters from the front and must use the stairs. In other eat in theatres I have been to the set up is different - staff enters from the back and no stairs are needed.

There is a retail area where one can buy "classic" movie memorabilia; tv shirts, backpacks, mugs etc.

The LOL Comedy Club was part of the event, saw Richard Lewis. Pretty extensive bar options, Glenlevit at a Comedy Club? Nice touch for sure.

All early shows will be non-smoking. People on the floor looked cramped. Interesting space overall, nice to have in the area.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM

796 posts, read 3,048,773 times
Default New drafthouse coming to Stone Oak and 281

So, I get a text from my neighbor who was at the Super Target at Stone Oak and 281. She says there is a sign that says Alamo Draft House 2010. I happen to be watching a movie at the Park North location so when the movie was over, I went to get some information. The lady I spoke with told me that they expect to have the location open in November 2010. It will be set up like the Park North location but will have 4 screens instead of 6.

I asked about the issue of having 1 long table in each row, making it hard for people to get out when needed. She said that was done at the Park North location due to the fire code compliance. She is assuming they did not have problems at the Westlakes location because it was already a theater before. She said they are currently working with them (fire compliance people?) in trying to get the tables with the gaps in the Stone Oak location.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
I went to their new Park North location last week. Blah.

It's small and the design is medicinal: I'm not a fan of the always-on LED lighting underneath the tables. Very annoying. The sound/projection is NOT all digital as they have advertised (only in 1 theater). The menu is basically the same and they didn't take an opportunity to overhaul it a bit. The seating, while comfy (think SWA-style seats), makes it nearly impossible to get up during the film for any reason. The stadium-rise in each theater makes in insanely loud and inconvenient to get up at any point.

I don't see good things for Drafthouse in opening a SO location. They're quickly killing what made the concept interesting by homogenizing the design, mainstreaming the fare and not offering truly great events as the original in Austin does. When they franchised it, they sort of ruined it IMO. The owners of the SA-branches don't seem to have the same level of appreciation for the legacy.

Park North (and likely the SO location) is just another small movie theater. I was really hoping for more from the only 'built from the ground up' Drafthouse, but this one fell entirely flat for me.

BN

Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,038 times
I remember people from Austin talking about the greatness of Alamo Drafthouse. They are surprised when I tell them we have one here and it's okay. To me it's too far out on 1604. Just another theatre, but with beer. I prefer Palladium and the Bijou.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
I checked out Park North during the week and loved it. It was pretty slow, so no problems getting up during the movie, and the LED lighting didn't bother me at all. Drank a couple pints of Dogfish Head and Firemens 4 for a decent price. Not the biggest screens or the best sound, but comfy and no little kids running around.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM

97 posts, read 251,557 times
Default New Alamo Drafthouse

Has anyone checked it out yet and if so, did you enjoy your experience?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
I like the concept of the Alamo Drafthouse but all locations need to be uniform, all of them offering their unique shows instead of having a unique older one at Marbach and another mainstream movie newer location at Park North. In other words, a uniform look for all Drafthouses is in order.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Finally made it to the Park North Drafthouse today and I have to say that I was quite underwhelmed. The commercials and short films before the show were way too loud. The food is premium-priced, by most casual restaurant standards. $3.99 for soda or iced tea, ~$10 for a salad. The seat was less comfortable than the seats at the Santikos Bijou and especially at the nearby Santikos Embassy. The one thing I liked better about this Drafthouse is the parking. It's abundant and close to the entrance.

I believe I'll stick with the Embassy as my primary theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio