Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 142,797 times

Advertisements

My daughters (5 yr) are about to start their piano lessons. Shall I buy a brand new piano or used piano or digital piano?? Where do I buy them?

I was thinking about buying a good used piano, in case they don't want to continue their lessons, I can sell it and not losing too much money. The problem is neither my husband and I know much about piano. How to get a good one and a good price? For digitial piano, does it feel the same way as playing a real piano? Will it harm one's learning quality?

Finally, where do I shop for piano in San Antonio? Can someone also recommend a good beginer piano?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Digital pianos/keyboards have a different touch than a real piano. Real pianos take more finger muscles! Think about the difference between typing on a typewriter (even an electric one) and typing on a computer keyboard. That's similar to the difference between a real piano and keyboards.

I can't help you with buying a piano. My folks bought the one I have back in 1961, before I was born. My sister, my brother, my mom and I all learned to play on it. I know Mom and Dad it new, and it's a studio upright. I'm sure it wasn't the best quality, but it's held up just fine since 1961. I get it tuned every couple years and it stays in tune just fine.

Tell your girls to have fun with their lessons! I took 12 years of piano lessons, was in the band in school, sang in the choir from the time I was 4 and took 3 years of voice lessons in college. Music is a wonderful thing.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Definitely find a real piano, not a digital one, for all the reasons listed above. They are just not the same instruments! I took piano lessons for eight years and the piano my parents found at Joske's - used - was an old Gulbranson player piano (minus the player). My mom sold the piano years ago, and when my kids wanted to learn, I couldn't afford a piano, so I purchased a digital keyboard. They soon lost interest, so there wasn't so much money lost, but I often wonder if the piano had been a real one if they would have kept up their interest. Now my daughter wants to learn how to play again. Go figure! Both my kids play the guitar a little and my son is a trombone player in the band at his middle school. They still get out the keyboard and 'play around' with it, and I'm still thinking about finding a piano, if I can convince DH to go for it!

As for purchasing, look in the classified ads. The local colleges/universities will periodically change out their instruments, you might get a good deal there. Also, check the local piano stores - sometimes they run good sales. I've seen a person from one of these stores post here - I think the post was about piano lessons. Perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the lessons. I absolutely hated practicing, but I am soooo glad my mom made me do it!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Good call on the classifieds!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 PM

28 posts, read 142,797 times
Thank you all for the advise on digital vs. real piano.

Now comes how to shop for a good used piano. I read about bring a piano tuner to look at the used piano. Do you know a good, reliable and reasonable tuner that I can rely on? Do you know if I have to pay the tuner every time I take him/her with me? Or .... I also read that don't pay them the first time they come to shop with you. This sounds wierd, but I really have no experience to judge.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM

As far as payment, I would just talk to the tuner and ask what normally happens.

I can't remember my tuner's name - it's long and German and he's from New Braunfels. If I think of it tonight I'll look inside my piano and tell you!

Do you attend church? You might ask the pianist there. Or...do you have a piano teacher lined up yet? You could ask her (or him).

Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
There were some answers to these questions in this thread from a while back.

Learning Music : Piano - Lease or Buy?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM

260 posts, read 1,136,026 times
I will say that the more expensive digital keyboards come closer to feeling like real pianos - but to get one in that range can be over $2000. One advantage is the ability to plug in headphones and practice without disturbing anyone - but probably not worth the price tag if you're not sure it's something the kids will stick with.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 PM

76 posts, read 270,854 times
As a piano teacher I always say that an acoustic piano is your best bet (although a keyboard works just fine for beginners--at least for the first year or two). Besides the key touch and weight issues, quality acoustic pianos hold their value.

The main thing you want to look for in either a used or new upright piano is height, because a taller piano has longer strings and therefore a richer, fuller sound. Stay away from spinets and consoles (the shortest models). The studio (middle height) is perfectly acceptable, although the 50-52" "upright" is the best; its strings are as long as those on a baby grand. You will also want to avoid the really huge antique models; even though they are tall, a complete rebuilding is necessary to get the beautiful sound of a more recent model.

Piano manufacturers have come and gone over the years, so brand means less than it could. My piano is a 30-year-old Baldwin studio and it is a really good one. However, the newer Baldwins are not that great. Your best bet is to visit a couple of piano stores and play their pianos, to familiarize yourself with good tone. Then if you want to go look at used pianos you will have some context. A couple of my students have gotten good used pianos off of Craigslist recently, so you might try there.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 AM

358 posts, read 577,542 times
Digital pianos have come a long was insofar as replicating the feel of an acoustic piano.

Don't spend more than you can afford in the beginning. Learning to play piano is not for everyone. I'd stay away from commercial piano stores when buying your first piano. No sense paying their profit margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio