Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

Thank you SA08. I also wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
One of the moles I had removed was tiny tiny....it left a 2 inch scar on my arm, but Dr. Gonzalez did not play around....he did a biopsy on my first visit, removed it completely on my 2nd visit, and took out the stitches on my 3rd. Wham bam thank you mam....and now I have the perfect place to put a Supergirl tat.

I think this is a great thread! I had to be cajoled into going, too. It's that Irish blood, I guess, that makes us so vulnerable.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Well all the Fun in the Sun continues to catch up with me. On June 29th I had two biopsies taken. The one from my right ear was Basal Cell Carcinoma (this is my third one).

A week ago yesterday I had MOHS Surgery and I ended up with 16 stitches and an incision approx. 1 1/2". Everything will heal alright and I'll have a minor scar (compared to the previous two).

I found a FANTASTIC Doctor, Dr. Firoz, who is with the UT Health Science Center. I'll see her Wednesday afternoon to have the stitches taken out.

Here is my main question............ Has anyone or do you know of anyone who has used the topical creams mainly for Basal Cell Carcinoma's. We discussed it and I have read both Pros and Con. The Cons are the side effects. I don't have to go that route but it is being considered.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
I would stress that anyone concerned about a skin lesion or mole should see a dermatologist. Other kinds of doctors are normally NOT sufficiently trained to evaluate that. Years ago when I had a small, weepy sore on my forehead, I was told it was nothing to worry about and a primary care doctor (not a dermatologist) tried freezing it off twice. It came back twice. Again, nothing to worry about. Later on, I saw another primary care doctor, who didn't think it was anything to worry about. But this time, I wanted a dermatologist to see it. It turned out to be Basal Cell Carcinoma. I've now had three BCC lesions removed, the last two with MOHS surgery. I go to Dr. Nutt and the MOHS was done by Dr. Day. I'm a person who loves the outdoors...it's very hard, for me to avoid the sun. Even the best sunscreen is limited in how much it can help and has to be reapplied often. Hats and clothing help, but in this very hot sunny climate, it's just not very practical to wear much clothing outdoors, except during the winter. Oh, and I don't know about the cream.

Last edited by Lee W.; 08-03-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Sunscreen, Long Sleeved Shirts (year round), Quality Sunglasses, and a Stetson are four of my best friends.

It is amazing when you read about Skin Cancer and the number of cases diagnosed every year in the United States alone. No matter what your skin color is we all have a chance of getting it and trust me if you suspect something no matter the size, shape, or location, you will not be wasting your time. All three of my Skin Cancers where removed using the MOHS Surgery Procedure which like you I HIGHLY suggest.

I know five Folks between the ages of 49-70 who have faced Skin Cancer.

What I would do to trade all those years of Water Skiing in California........ We can't turn back time, just continue to protect ourselves.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM

220 posts, read 681,217 times
Dr. Calvin Day devotes his San Antonio practice to providing the latest treatments and technologies in aesthetic and skin cancer dermatology.
He is SAN ANTONIO'S PREEMINENT MOHS SURGEON AND MELANOMA EXPERTand removed my Melanoma back in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio