Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times

Advertisements

The graffiti problem here is so frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
My wife and I were at Home Depot after 8pm or so, on a Friday night (because we're old and have no lives!), and a couple "kids" in front of us were buying spray paint. I know you're supposed to be 18 to buy the stuff but I don't remember them being carded. I don't know if they looked 18 or not, it's hard to tell as you get older

I hate to steriotype but really? These kids are going to be working on a legitimate project involving spray paint, after dusk, on a Friday night?

I saw a cop in the parking lot and I was tempted to drive up to him and tell him to follow them to make sure they weren't going to cause trouble... but they drove off quicker than I expected and I didn't get to see which direction they went.

Do we reallly need to raise the age at which you can purchase spray paint, to say 20 or 21? I'm really an open market kind of guy and I hate singling groups of people or products out in a law.. but I also hate to see nature or local landmarks covered in illegible scribblings...
There are websites that sell their special kind of paint.....more legislation is not going to fix the problem at Home Depot. And sadly, if you had told the cop about the guys with the spray paint they would have looked at you like you had 6 heads.....tagging is the least of their worries, and technically they hadn't done anything wrong yet anyway.

Our neighborhood got blasted this week--at least I think so, because I took the front route out and normally don't--but the fences just beyond our entrance took a massive beating. heh, massive beating is the answer! These punks need one, for sure.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM

322 posts, read 774,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And sadly, if you had told the cop about the guys with the spray paint they would have looked at you like you had 6 heads.....tagging is the least of their worries, and technically they hadn't done anything wrong yet anyway.
haha, yeah definitely! That's even if I could have woken him from his nap! Low blow, I know

I'm all for constructive/artistic tagging and I do think that those words go together. I've seen amazing graffitti art. Generally, writing your name or gang affiliation doesn't fall into that category though

Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Not that I'm advocating vigilantism in any way, but who else on this board thinks that the new storm water facility near Culebra & 1604 will become a tagger haven? I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising folks started camping out overnight with high-powered pellet guns (night-scoped, of course) just to keep the "varmint" population from getting out of hand.

We don't want large rodents hanging around big sources of water and concrete, now do we?

--Dim
a lot more people need to think that way and I think they do, but they're afraid to admit it. We had this conversation at work yesterday. None of the people I work with would report a criminal being taken out if they witnessed it and I'm talking actually physically taken out as in no longer with us. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought I was one of the few that felt that way. Now we just need to convince the police to start a special department to investigate these non-crimes and not give them a budget to operate or we could staff it with the cops that prefer to do all their investigations at Dunkin Donuts or Shipley's

Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
My wife and I were at Home Depot after 8pm or so, on a Friday night (because we're old and have no lives!), and a couple "kids" in front of us were buying spray paint. I know you're supposed to be 18 to buy the stuff but I don't remember them being carded. I don't know if they looked 18 or not, it's hard to tell as you get older

I hate to steriotype but really? These kids are going to be working on a legitimate project involving spray paint, after dusk, on a Friday night?

I saw a cop in the parking lot and I was tempted to drive up to him and tell him to follow them to make sure they weren't going to cause trouble... but they drove off quicker than I expected and I didn't get to see which direction they went.

Do we reallly need to raise the age at which you can purchase spray paint, to say 20 or 21? I'm really an open market kind of guy and I hate singling groups of people or products out in a law.. but I also hate to see nature or local landmarks covered in illegible scribblings...
Sapphire is right. We've had some colorful discussions about graf art on this forum. Opinions are across the board. And yes...those kids buying a few cans of spray paint can't do a lot of damage. Google graf supplies, or go to a couple of the more diverse flea markets and you'll find MEGA sized cans of spray paint....just made for tagging. Proponents say it's similar to a gun....it's not the paint that damages....it's the painter! UGH!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
wCat -Kids /Young Adults can cause alot of damage. I don't know about you but I get disgusted when I see what these a......... have done. We all pay for their vandalism.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
wCat -Kids /Young Adults can cause alot of damage. I don't know about you but I get disgusted when I see what these a......... have done. We all pay for their vandalism.
WCat knows that....most of us on here are adamantly AGAINST tagging. We have fought and fought on several threads with those who think it is "art" and their God-given right to destroy/deface other people's property.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
There is no doubt that people are against it except for the a........ that do it. What do those punks have to loose? They aren't paying taxes. Most probably never will. Maybe when they grow up they can still use the spray paint to Huff. Our tax dollars will pay for that paint,their medical treatment, and to bury them. And so goes the cycle.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 PM

322 posts, read 774,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Sapphire is right. We've had some colorful discussions about graf art on this forum. Opinions are across the board. And yes...those kids buying a few cans of spray paint can't do a lot of damage. Google graf supplies, or go to a couple of the more diverse flea markets and you'll find MEGA sized cans of spray paint....just made for tagging. Proponents say it's similar to a gun....it's not the paint that damages....it's the painter! UGH!
thanks! A whole industry I didn't even know existed

Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I should have clarified. Yes....they can do damage....but these little punks at Home Depot are just graf posers. When you see some of the areas that are really bad, check out the size of the spray paint strokes. We're talking about very large cans that spray a much larger area.....they hold a LOT of paint and are powerful. They range in 150ml cans to 600ml cans. PLUS...various spray nozzles for different effects. And yes....a whole industry that supports this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio