Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 163,058 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows if they are planning on building another play area or tennis/basketball courts in Amhurst. They are building a lot more houses up my street and I even see two more streets with various sold signs on lots. The reason I ask is, as we were driving in the the subdivision yesterday, the pool looked to be at full capacity. We couldn't have gone swimming if we tried. It's just not enough recreational space for the kids. Every weekend my oldest son goes over to AR to play basketball with his friends, and I leave there feeling like we made a mistake buying in Amhurst. We psc'd here in march and had 30 days to find a home, and on top of that, we are first time buyers. There was a lot we didn't know and we might have moved to fast. We have learned a huge lesson. We will know next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,091 times
hello- we also live in Amhurst- and we were part of that crowd -- it was real crowded. It was also the first weekend it was opened, so we hoped that was part of the reason. On a bad note-I don't think there are plans for another pool-which we do really need. If you look on the Spectrum website (our HOA) it will detail our neighborhoods plans. On a positive note, the neighborhood seems very active, kids on bikes, families walking, basketball games in the culdesac, we have met most of our neighbors and their kids come over--anyway- hope things get better for you!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks,
I know it will get better. We love our house and everyone we see when we go walking seems friendly. We don't have neighbors yet. See ya at the pool next time. No matter how crowed it is...I'm jumping in..Lol...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
liby -We live in the Villages of Westcreek and I personally don't feel that you made a bad choice. From what I have seen of Amhurst I am impressed. I'm glad to see that homes are being built. Although it sounds like there might not be another pool maybe you and several of the neighbors could approach D.R.Horton. They could foot the bill for a second park / pool and then hand it over to the HOA . I know for a fact that builders have done this in other states (CA. and NV. where I have family) I know that you may want the community to stay small but pools /parks/ etc. sell homes and that is to the builders advantage.

P.S.- If there was a way to let you use our pools on our behalf I would. In the 10 years that we have lived here we have never used the pool(s) .
Are there any plans to have a light put in for you folks or are you going to have to wait until Potranco is widened?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,091 times
Wellguy- I dont know of plans for us to have a light yet- but the traffic sure does build up on Potranco between Groesenbach (sp) and Walmart- a light sure would be nice. So if DRHorton built another pool and handed the bill to our HOA- I assume that would mean our fees would go up? I think our neighborhood needs to be 75% complete before residents are on the HOA board, so maybe we would have more "pull" then---and more pool .

Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 AM

52 posts, read 197,238 times
I think it'll take about 20-30 more minor accidents or ten major wrecks and at least one or two more fatal mishaps before they give us a light.

Did you notice the car that went airborne and flipped a few times a month or so ago (someone must have cut him off when they were making a left out of the neighborhood). Not to mention the Amhurst sign (the one on your left when leaving) and the stop sign have had to be repaired/replaced at least twice since I’ve lived here from drivers swerving out of the way.

It usually takes a death or two before these safety risks get bumped to the top of the "fix it" list.

Sorry I got off topic there for a minute... I seriously doubt there will be a second pool or any other amenities added... take a look at Sierra Springs (in front of HEB), they have way more homes in their community but the same size pool. Besides I’d rather see that money be spent on speed bumps for American Lotus. I dread walking along that road with my family…

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

Allahjandro,
I agree with the need for speed bumps. I took my niece for a stroll this past sunday and the cars were really speeding. I am use to driving on base and going slower through the housing area. I was leaving Amhurst last week driving down American Lotus, and this lady started honking her horn at me, and then she honked until I cleared traffic to turn right on potranco. I thought I was in Boston for a second, where they honk for everything. I was driving 30mph. She had more patience on potranco.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM

52 posts, read 197,238 times
Absolutely!! Sometimes I fake stumbling off the curb when cars are driving by... I mean “speeding by” down American Lotus. It makes them slow down even if just for a second. I'm used to driving on base as well and can't understand why people are trying to go 50 MPH in their own neighborhood!! It really irks me to no end. I've had to literally yell at drivers speeding past my house… all the construction workers already know!

On a different note: I want to build a website or have a website built for the community… something like CityData… but for residents only (username and login tied to address). This would be a great place for residents to post concerns related to Amhurst only. Did you get that letter in your door from our neighbor a few weeks ago? It would be great for residents to have an online forum to air… well whatever they want… not to mention what a great place it would be to gather thoughts before the next meeting with the HOA! What do you think?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 AM

298 posts, read 944,981 times
I heard from a developer, as a rule of thumb, they usually build one amenities center/pool for every 500 homes.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM

No, we didn't get that letter. I think the website would be a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio