Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,481 times

Advertisements

Had the annual Air Conditioning check-up on my house.
It's a two-story that has one-unit with two thermostat controls (one to service the downstairs and the other to service the upstairs)
The A/C Service Person, said the dampers should be replaced becuase the seal is worn out and leaking, plus they sometimes get stuck.
Estimate was approximately $1200 to $2500 depending whether they replace just the 2 dampers or the dampers plus control system that operates them.
The Htg/AC system was replaced and upgraded 4 years ago, but the duct work, dampers etc. were not replaced. They are the original ones when the house was built 16 years ago.
Wondering, if anyone here has heard of dampers needing to be replaced ?
OR is this just an A/C company trying to drum up more businses ? ?

Should I get a second opinion or a second estimate ?
I would probably have to pay each time a different A/C company comes out to check it out, wouldn't I ?

Also any recommendations for a reliable Htg-A/C Company that doesn't charge an arm and a leg ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Definitely get a 2nd opinion, I have an honest HVAC man, will only do what is needed, if you need his number, Ill PM it to you. VERY Honest.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Definitely get a 2nd opinion, I have an honest HVAC man, will only do what is needed, if you need his number, Ill PM it to you. VERY Honest.
Yes,... please do. And thanks !

Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Post your findings back here. I have a new home with three zones and would be very interested to see what you find out - for the future.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM

How about the Beyer Boys ? Any comments on them ?
They do a lot of advertising.

I would rather try someone recommended highly by 'word of mouth' than someone that pays big bucks to advertise their service.
In other words... if a company is good, they really don't have to spend money to advertise because there is no better advertisment than comments by a satisified customer. Unless of course it is a brand new company and they have to get the word out.... Just MHO

sinsativ.... I'm still looking for that PM

Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 16,500 times
I would recommend san antonio a/c & plumbing. we had them out to do our maintenance and they checked our zones too (like yours, 1-upstairs, 1-down). didn't have to replace anything (newer system), but he adjusted the dampers and sealed some leaks in our attic and it was less than $200 for everything. and our a/c is running a lot less to keep the upstairs cool now. the tech said our leaks were enough to cool a small bathroom, yikes!
great people, highly recommend.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
sinsativ and smm1970, would you mind pm'ing your a/c guys' numbers to me? We haven't had any work done on our a/c unit since we bought this house almost 3 years ago. Otherhalf has been afraid that having someone out will "omen" us and the whole system will hafta be replaced. But I really think it needs a check up.

TIA!!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
Jules, don't do a checkup unless it isn't working.

As long as you keep your filters changed (monthly) and it is blowing cold air and keeping your house cool there is no reason to waste your money.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Since it costs so little, it is actually a good idea to get it serviced every 6 months. It's only about $65. Well worth it and much cheaper to catch a problem early (like a minor freon/gas leak) than later.

And Jules, you know I've got a referral for everything! Just DM'd ya!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Jules, don't do a checkup unless it isn't working.

As long as you keep your filters changed (monthly) and it is blowing cold air and keeping your house cool there is no reason to waste your money.
Thats the way we do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio