Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times

Advertisements

I remember in the summer when they would show the bats on the weather radar as they would leave their roost out near Bracken. The heat from all their little bodies coming out of the cave looked like some wicked weather and then it all dispersed on the doppler radar. But then we're talking about a lot more than 3000 bats.

This article says there are estimated to be about 20,000,000 bats in the Bracken bat cave. They have private viewings if you make reservations.

Here's the link:

Bracken Bat Cave

For anyone new to the area, Bracken is West of Garden Ridge (FM 3009) off I-35.

VERY cool stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM

214 posts, read 499,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Don't get too excited too soon...last time the bats came to SATX the city sealed the roosts so that when they came back the next year there was no home. I saw on the news that the fate of the bats is up in the air (that really was an unintended pun LOL), so go see them while you can.

We *may* go tonight but I was hoping someone had been already. I don't know how busy it will be...
It would be a real shame if they did this again. Bats are great for keeping bugs at bay, and they are so interesting to watch. I wish the silly phobias some people have for them would not cause so many complaints. I definitely value the comfort of the person over the comfort of the animal, but I do wish people would live and let be on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio