Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,959 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are in the process of closing on a new home, and would love to paint the inside of the house, prior to moving all of our things in. I know when it comes to paint, a lot of times you get what you pay for. Anyone out there know of some good deals, and places to get good interior paint at a great cost? Besides the big places like lowes or home depot. Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,114 times
I have painted every room in our house (some more than once). I recommend Glidden, Behr (both HD), Valspar (Lowes), Sherwin Williams, or Benjamin Moore (pricier).

Stay away from "contractor grade". Generally, the higher the sheen, the better the wear; however, you would not want a high gloss for the walls...perhaps an eggshell, maybe even a satin.

Buying in 5 gallon containers will get you a better price, but are much more difficult to move/pour.

As always, the key to sucess is your preparation (surface is clean, use primer if necessary, fill small holes/divots). Newly built houses tend to have a very thin layer of paint applied, so primer may be warranted.

Just my 2 cents worth (typed during a break from painting my bathroom )

Last edited by pobre; 08-02-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: apparently, I can't SPELL paint

Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
I agree with everything Pobre said. The only thing I would add is to ask someone that KNOWS paint at any of these locations about the different grades. We like Sherwin Williams....but they have about 5 "grades" (as do the others). Duration is the most expensive and has a guarantee. You won't need to be painting anytime soon with Duration. They have a step down that is also excellent, but no guarantee....still very good paint. I agree on saving with the 5 gallon buckets....which will work if you are painting a lot of the same color.
Paint is definitely one product where you get what you pay for. Some paints like Duration most likely will cover (depending on the intensity of the shade) with one coat and no primer. You can see that will save you time and money. Some less expensive paints may take a primer and two coats....and end up costing as much or more than a superior product.

Just be sure you talk to a professional or a supervisor that really knows the differences in the paint grades.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
I've had great luck with Sherwin Williams. Also Color Me Paints - Laredo Paint & Decorating - Color Me Paint & Decorating - has good quality paint for sale.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,659 times
shwerwin williams sounds like it would be right up your alley. We just painted our "kids" rooms and had the painters pick up sherwin williams and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Highly recommend Benjamin Moore. It is pricier, but not much and you definitely get what you pay for. We're in the process of a complete restoration of our historic home. Initially we'd used some Lowe's (mostly Valspar) paint. Our contractor recommended BM and we've never gone back....this is for exterior, interior, and porch floor.

Hadn't used Sherwin Williams just 'cause they didn't have the colors we were looking for each time (every room is a different color, usually 2-3 colors per room). Our contractor did say he felt their quality had recently declined and preferred Benjamin Moore, but I've no direct experience with their paint.

Only downside to Benjamin Moore is their store hours....

Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
There is no doubt that Benjamin Moore paint is good quality. It's touted by a lot of top designers as being the "best". Being in the "biz" however, BM is not any more superior than any of the high grades of other brands. I've never gotten the issue with "Benjamin Moore" colors being superior either. It really depends on the purity of the base paint. Benjamin Moore does have the little paint samples which are convenient, but their colors can be matched by any company....and vice versa. You can purchase a small quart of Sherwin Williams for the same purpose for $5 to test an area. BM's little jar is about $3 and will paint two square feet.

I personally have worked with them all, and that pricey edge BM has on others is not really justified other than paying for the cost to put ads in high end designer magazines.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM

I have heard that BM's low VOC (low odor) paint is great and just that...no odor. Haven't heard anything about other company's low VOC paints. Kinda wish I had tried it this go around...the paint smell is getting really old...

Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,959 times
In anyone's opinion, with the house being brand new, would it be safe to primer the walls prior to painting?

P.S

Thank you all who have replied. You have all been a great help!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM

It depends on the current color and the new color. Generally, you might need two coats, so you may be able to do one coat primer and one coat paint.

I did not prime any of my walls prior to painting. The original color was an off-white/bone. I have painted tans, caramels, deep mochas, reds, pinks, purples. With the exception of the tans, all have needed two coats. But I did not prime. I am not expert enough to tell you whether that would have made a huge difference, but I can tell you that the coverage is even, with no bleed through or thin spots.

Using the proper application tools will help coverage, too. Do not stretch your paint (roll it thinner than it should be). If you have textured walls, you will need a thicker nap roller (5/8, 3/4 etc). Trust me on this one!

Also, Home Depot locally sometimes has paint worksops, which can help you too. Solicit advice from wherever you purchase your paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio