Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Saturday night we went to Dough, but the wait was running 30-45 minutes. We decided to give Barbaresco a try.

The space is interesting in that in evokes both a large hotel dining room (the ridiculously high ceilings) and a gentleman's club (not that I have ever been to one).

The waiter informed us that certain appetizers were available at happy hour pricing ($5 each) and we went with portobellos in a gorgonzola sauce w/ hearts of palm & a beef carpaccio. The portobello plate arrived with 2 large caps swimming in sauce with a small dice of hearts of palm on top. This was easily enough app for a party of 4. The taste was saucy and a hint salty, but for $5 it more than delivered. The carpaccio was shaved so thin that it completely adhered to the plate and the dish lacked any flavor. Seriously, the beef, greens, and cheese were each devoid of flavor. I question their freshness/quality.

The entrees were a different story. Unlike the apps, the entrees were largely priced in the $23 and up range. The waiter, without solicitation, launched into an unneeded explanation of 8 or so picks from the menu (the menu was self-explanatory w/ no unusual items). Among those picks was a seafood risotto that he explained was like a paella. My only thought was I hope the chef doesn't agree with that nonsense.

I bravely ordered that risotto and my wife ordered a simple pappardelle with ragu. The wife's pasta was tolerable. It was cooked past al dente and the ragu lacked any depth of flavor. We took 3/4 of it home (again very large portions) and it did not improve over night. The risotto was 1 of the worst renditions I have ever had. Think dry spanish style rice with overcooked seafood and a ladle of diced tomato & broth thrown over it before sending it to the table. It was barely edible and had little resemblance to a proper risotto in taste or presentation. The scallops were particularly offensive with their rubbery texture and crunchy grit. Needless to say, most of it stayed on the plate at the restaurant.

Their wine selection, by the glass and bottle, is very good for SA. How often can you find an 04 Barolo by the glass here? Their cocktail list was largely a collection of sweet drinks. I would only go back for a glass of vino and app at happy hour. Food C-, Wine B+/A-, Service C-, Decor C-, QPR Happy Hour Apps B, QPR Entrees F. Why pay Il Sogno prices for chain food quality?

Last night, we made the chicken thighs from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home and they were insanely heart warming and easy! I can't recommend that cookbook enough...
So sorry you had a bad dissapointing dinner out, that always stinks.

On a date night last year hubby ordered and enjoyed the mushroom risotto while the other half of our companion couple said her risotto was "not the best" she had ever had. Meh.

I do like Barbaresco, but was dissapointed when they changed their menu recently. Hubby and I always liked ordering a 1/2 plate from the pasta course as our main dish.

I have to agree with your take on the wine list and I also loooove the portabella app. as well.

Happy hour there is nice, although sometimes quiet. As you noted, great priced apps. and $5 wines.

We almost gave Dough 'another shot' (our only dinner there was on the dissapointing side) on Sat. night but hubby is totally in to going to either something new or somewhere that has 'wowed' us instead of trying a place that was a dissapointment again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM

47 posts, read 100,016 times
I won't go to Dough.

I went to Flemings last night had the prime rib yumm! I love the prime rib there but I also love it at Del Frisco & even Texas Road House & Outback.

Speaking of Rueben's, my family use to make it a tradition to go there all the time esp on holidays to get some yum tamales. However when they got such a low score a while back I decided not to return, they reported bugs & rats. Now granted I am very sure they cleaned up their act, they probably have a very clean kitchen now but I got to thinking we trust that this place is going to provide clean food for us, we have been coming here for years & this how they show they care about the customer by keeping an infested kitchen. I hold them to a higher standard having been in business for the ammount of time that they have. My grandma still goes, who, once she has an opinion about something hell or high water won't change lol!
This last holiday season I picked tamales from HEB & they were good, so I'll probably pick them up from HEB again or check out the mom & pop down the street.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
Lizzy,

Dare I ask why you won't go to Dough?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 AM
cjw

125 posts, read 480,162 times
Paesano's on Sunday night. I had shrimp paesano appy but my husband had the tenderloin, medium rare. OMG. He knows if he orders that he is sharing bites because it's the best steak ever. He shared bites with the kids, too. One kid had veal francesca and the other wasn't real hungry and had pasta with butter/garlic.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 AM

47 posts, read 100,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Lizzy,

Dare I ask why you won't go to Dough?

Hey jweb,

I had a friend/co-worker that was to start working there & he had put in his 2 weeks at his old job because he already had been hired at Dough, confirmed... everything. To make a long story short they ripped that job from under him & it was too late to take his old job back.

I can pm you the details if you like.

I just figured I want to spend my money at places that don't do crappy things! The minute I find that they do, I go somewhere else! I am lucky & can be that way in a city filled with eating choices.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Kennedy's Chicago Pizza: I really enjoyed the Dine In Special they had for Tuesday. 1 Medium 1 Topping Pizza, 2 Small Salads and 2 Drinks for $17.99. Not bad. The hubs and I got full on 1 and 1/2 slices so leftovers was my lunch of choice for today.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

127 posts, read 282,283 times
El Jarro for dinner. The service is horrible but I can't stop going. I'm pretty sure there is something addicting in their margaritas (other than the alcohol).

I always thought of Chicken Marsala as an italian dish - but it was excellent (especially when washed down w/ the aformentioned drink)!!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 55,005 times
We sent to Sarika's last night. Thai Restaurant on Medical Dr. I am very disappointed with the food, although the service was great. Their prices are expensive and their portions are tiny. I don't mind paying but come on. If I have to pay that much and still feel hungry it's not worth it. It was my first and my last time going there.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Fuddrucker's, Ingram location. Had the 1/3 lb. burger, cooked medium, and it was delicious. The toppings are so fresh (my only complaint about them is they used to have shredded lettuce, now it's just big pieces but that's OK)....it was really busy in there today but the wait wasn't very long. Fresh bun, deliciously seasoned meat, fresh toppings, and the burgers are not a big, greasy mess to try and keep on the bun. Their fries are good....wish you could get them without the seasoned salt--maybe you can and I just need to request that next time. Anyway, I am a Fudd fan.

They have an extremely friendly staff as well, for a burger chain.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Smokey Mo's, on Bulverde Rd. Family Pack with turkey, sausage, and chicken, sides of cole slaw, butter potatoes, and green beans.

YUM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio