Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,802,344 times

Advertisements

The pictures of the bus were the kicker. +1 for you sir.

Tongue-in-cheek humor is always appreciated

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM

487 posts, read 1,112,705 times
Soft tacos at the new Freebirds in Stone Oak. Burrito's are tooo big! Very good tho.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,313,957 times
Mikado Ryotei in Austin - higher end Japanese than we have here. Excellent!

Not a restaurant but Antonelli's cheese Shop in the Hyde Park district. Small mom and pop place but with higher end artisanal items as compared to Central Market or Whole Foods in Austin (which are pretty good). Friendly place. We need more Mom and Pops of quality.

Once, again - curses on Whole Foods for our totally crappy Whole Foods as compared to the rest of the country. Talking to a guy from the West Coast who things the SA one stinks as compared to theirs. I agree.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Once, again - curses on Whole Foods for our totally crappy Whole Foods as compared to the rest of the country. Talking to a guy from the West Coast who things the SA one stinks as compared to theirs. I agree.
I am surprised Whole Foods even managed to stay in San Antonio as long they have. They can't even compare to the San Antonio Central Market.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM

246 posts, read 430,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am surprised Whole Foods even managed to stay in San Antonio as long they have. They can't even compare to the San Antonio Central Market.
I agree. There is only one thing I go there for....Rustic Italian bread. Central Market is quite a bit cheaper. Can't believe I said Central Market and cheaper in the same sentence.

Whole Foods pizza is pretty good. I get a slice or two if I am in the neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,313,957 times
The Austin and other stores have a great selection of take-out as compared to the SA store that has the same endless boring crap.

I opine that a good store on the 1604 NW might attract all those working folk on the way home for such. However, some folk on the board say that the demographics don't work. I wish they would try.

By the way, the little restaurants stands in the Whole Foods in Austin are pretty good. As is their pizza and sandwiches.

Half the time in the SA store, there's no one at the counter. The seating area is grim.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,741,328 times
Default McAdoo's - NO HUSH PUPPIES?!??

Ate at McAdoo's in New Braunfels the other night. October is "all you can eat" crab on Wednesdays for 24.95. Excellent crab, but they bring you out "refills" at the rate of a half-crab at a time!! We'd just tell 'em to bring another every time they brought the next one.
We've been going since they opened - used to go every week or two, but we've been asking them to have sweet tea and hush puppies since they opened, and it's falling on deaf ears. Went to their website to give 'em feedback about it...no contact info there, no place to contact them. Guess they don't wanna hear our comments.
They don't have Gulf oysters right now, but had "premium" oysters, $18/half-dozen. I've seen bigger snails!! Tiny things that weren't worth the trouble of eating - so if you go, don't waste your money on 'em!!
Service was outstanding, and the food itself good - but until they listen and bring in hush puppies, we won't bother going more than every 3-4 months. Hard to imagine a place that calls themselves a "Seafood Restaurant" that doesn't have hush puppies!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,874,209 times
Tin Star, Callaghan and 10. Good fish taco, rice was too gloppy. I like the chips and salsa, and I like that they are self-serve. Hubby had a steak taco and a pulled pork taco, and he liked them both. Kid had a cheeseburger taco, but for some reason he ordered it well done and it was a little too well done. He ate it but wasn't impressed. Very friendly counter service and I hope they make it there. Friday night, I think there were 4 tables max. They are waiting for their liquor license, though, so that will probably help.

They have some menu items that look interesting and I'm sure we'll go back to try them. One thing, though--they are right across the street from Cha-Cho's, and SA people do not like to pay $7.49 for a 2-taco plate. That may spell trouble for Tin Star.

Speaking of cha-cho's, does anyone know what happened there around 8 pm? fire truck and 2 ambulances. King Kong Nachos got the best of someone?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,807,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ate at McAdoo's in New Braunfels the other night. October is "all you can eat" crab on Wednesdays for 24.95. Excellent crab, but they bring you out "refills" at the rate of a half-crab at a time!! We'd just tell 'em to bring another every time they brought the next one.
We've been going since they opened - used to go every week or two, but we've been asking them to have sweet tea and hush puppies since they opened, and it's falling on deaf ears. Went to their website to give 'em feedback about it...no contact info there, no place to contact them. Guess they don't wanna hear our comments.
They don't have Gulf oysters right now, but had "premium" oysters, $18/half-dozen. I've seen bigger snails!! Tiny things that weren't worth the trouble of eating - so if you go, don't waste your money on 'em!!
Service was outstanding, and the food itself good - but until they listen and bring in hush puppies, we won't bother going more than every 3-4 months. Hard to imagine a place that calls themselves a "Seafood Restaurant" that doesn't have hush puppies!!!!
I know what you're talking abou. Where I grew up, 'seafood' meant 'fried seafood', and, specifically, 'fried catfish'. And, yes, lots & lots of hush puppies. But there are plenty of great seafood places that don't have hush puppies. Really, fried cornmeal doesn't add much to great seafood.

Also, I know it's probably just what you're accustomed to, but the best oysters for eating raw tend to be quite small. The result is beautifully, salty, oyster flavor. In my opinion, there's nothing worse than a 2-ounce gulf oyster...now THAT'S something that should be friend prior to consumption!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,882,779 times
I was at Kehlsteinhaus just above Berchtesgaden for lunch today...

Had a bockwurst and some potato salad, and a beer. A bockwurst is basically a hot dog...

Oh, and it was snowing just a wee bit!

Oddly enough, a week ago I was at the Beethoven Maennerchor Oktoberfest in SA!

Cheers! M2
Attached Thumbnails
SA, Last Restaurant/Place You Ate At-img_4068.jpg   SA, Last Restaurant/Place You Ate At-img_4082.jpg   SA, Last Restaurant/Place You Ate At-img_4093.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio