Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Since I was a child, I have always been a huge fan of Mexican street food. I grew-up frequenting Nuevo Laredo and the like and later Tijuana, Mexico City, etc.

Today, I read an Express News piece where someone was seeking the recipe for Tiago's street tacos. I had never heard of Tiago's but quickly discovered they had 2 locations and 1 was near my office. I then took a couple of coworkers and went to try the tacos.

I now have to wonder what people eat at home if they want the recipe for these tacos. We tried the beef, shrimp, and chicken tacos and they all tasted like average char-grilled fajitas complete with heaps of grilled onions and peppers. There was little semblance between what they are serving as Baja street tacos and the real thing. They were edible and not much more. $13+ for an order with tea w/ tax/tip.

That's too bad. I personally LOVE Tiago's. Like Berryhill in Houston, the "street tacos" may not satisfy the purist, but they sure satisfy everyone else, apparently, because they're very popular. Having said that, my favorite thing on the menu at Tiago's are the Cabo-topped chicken enchiladas. I also adore their chips...soooo good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Just a quick note here. The Happy Pepper on Potranco Rd. will be closing down for a few months. Nothing wrong just pressing personal business to attend to. The owner said she would be re-opening.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Got the chance to try RoMo's cafe on Culebra. It was delicious. I had the airline chicken breast with pumpkin risotto and hubby had the "San Antonio" cheesesteak with duck fat fries. All was delicious. Lots of talent there. We kept remarking how much it reminded us of Cafe Express used to be in Houston--gourmet on the cheap. Being on Culebra near Ingram, it's in a weird and kind of ghetto locale, but I am rooting for these folks to succeed because it's just really good food and they're really nice folks. They write their daily specials on their FB page.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Got the chance to try RoMo's cafe on Culebra. It was delicious.
Well, based on your review and their online menu, I went and gave it a shot. Some of it was really good, some of it wasn't that great.

I got the duck and gator tacos. The gator was pretty good, right up there with the fried gator I've had in Louisiana. The duck tasted like it had been microwaved (dry!) and was completely overpowered by the sauce. There was also a rather large bone in the taco. Considering the place was almost empty, I thought this was very sloppy.

We also got the turkey plate special thing. Excellent buy at $9 if you like turkey. Be careful, though, another bone made an appearance here, too.

Duck fat fries were great after additional salting but predictably very heavy.

Chips I could take or leave. I guess they're giving those out for free since nothing comes with any sides.

Location is not weird or ghetto, IMO. They didn't have the TVs on, but one of the cooks stood in the kitchen doorway and stared at us our entire meal. Weirdo.

Pricing is all over the place. 2 tacos with fries = $15. Plate with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, salad, and a roll = $9. Total tab with two sodas and a 17% tip was $35, so fairly reasonable but the bang for buck difference was laughable. This complaint permeates their reviews - they need to come up with more bona fide lunch plate options.

We'll give it another shot but I won't be ordering their "award winning tacos" again.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Well, based on your review and their online menu, I went and gave it a shot. Some of it was really good, some of it wasn't that great.

I got the duck and gator tacos. The gator was pretty good, right up there with the fried gator I've had in Louisiana. The duck tasted like it had been microwaved (dry!) and was completely overpowered by the sauce. There was also a rather large bone in the taco. Considering the place was almost empty, I thought this was very sloppy.

We also got the turkey plate special thing. Excellent buy at $9 if you like turkey. Be careful, though, another bone made an appearance here, too.

Duck fat fries were great after additional salting but predictably very heavy.

Chips I could take or leave. I guess they're giving those out for free since nothing comes with any sides.

Location is not weird or ghetto, IMO. They didn't have the TVs on, but one of the cooks stood in the kitchen doorway and stared at us our entire meal. Weirdo.

Pricing is all over the place. 2 tacos with fries = $15. Plate with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, salad, and a roll = $9. Total tab with two sodas and a 17% tip was $35, so fairly reasonable but the bang for buck difference was laughable. This complaint permeates their reviews - they need to come up with more bona fide lunch plate options.

We'll give it another shot but I won't be ordering their "award winning tacos" again.

I've never had their tacos. How disappointing! Well, I won't be ordering that, I guess. Good to know about the Gator. I love fried alligator and used to get it often in Baton Rouge.

As for the location: Culebra is ghetto, period, but I'm willing to concede that's a matter of opinion. That whole area is kinda sketchy.

I do hope they stay around and can work out any rookie issues. I think they're yummy!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Oh, we'll head back I'm sure. Enough weird stuff on the menu to keep us busy and I saw a lot of promise. May just stick to the daily specials, though.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
As for the location: Culebra is ghetto, period, but I'm willing to concede that's a matter of opinion. That whole area is kinda sketchy.
Definitely going to agree to disagree there. Glad you liked RoMo's though. Been wanting to try it since they opened.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Definitely going to agree to disagree there. Glad you liked RoMo's though. Been wanting to try it since they opened.
It's at Culebra and Ingram. Semi-Sketchy. But, maybe with the new businesses like Spanky's Burger Joint and Romo's, it will class the corner up a bit. it's just rough right there with the Intown Suites and that area by the mall.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Ate at the new McD's on Culebra (the one they put up in under 90 days). Glad to report that the food is good and they've replaced the fruit flys with regular flys. There's also a contest going on to see how long it will be before the local gang members trash the place. One last note: Spanky's is far from opening. Progress is very s l o w. I believe the place was scheduled to open late August-early September.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM

381 posts, read 768,135 times
Ate at the IHop on bandera and loop 410(the one next to sketchers). The food was good and the customer service was quick and polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio