Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,278 times

Advertisements

Mountain Home Cafe, Estes Park, Colorado...mm-mm good! A year ago an Hispanic family bought the cafe and completely revised the menu. It's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM

427 posts, read 1,173,937 times
Grimaldi's @ La Cantera

Great experience all around

Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Must be Reno, no Qdoba here in SA yet, naked or "dressed"
LOL...Yes its in Reno, But it originated in Colorado. You get to build your own Burritos, the naked Burritos is one without the Tortilla (they give it you on the side) pile it all in a bowl!!
They are so huge that they give you instructions on how to effectively eat it without everything falling out.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
Going to hit the Sandbar restaurant downtown tonight.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Post the last restaurant you ate at. You can put a few comments about the place if you want.

Last place I ate at: Panda Express (Pretty good for a fast food chain)

I ate at Sweet Basil in Needham, Massachusetts. Its a super delicious Italian cuisine restaurant that is also BYOB, or BYOW if you are a classy lass.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,136 times
Just had lunch at La Terraza on Fred at Bluemel. I had a decent chicken fajita quesadilla. My husband and everyone else had the gigantic and sizzling molcajete plate.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,541 times
Finally treied MR J'S BBQ on S New Braunfuls after driving by a million times. I often saw people outside at the order window or eating on the benches, but never knew they had a small indoor dining area too. Had the sliced brisket sandwich, had plenty of meat on a jumbo burger bun. It was ok, my dining partner loved the turkey breast sandwich.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Henry's Puffy Taco Express on Woodlawn at Bandera Rd. The original building where Henry's Puffy Taco started. Walk in place your order, pay and sit down. No waitresses. Food is not expensive and good. They are awaiting their liquor license. The place is small but very clean. The tea is excellent.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
As I stated before, went to the Sandbar tonight on St. Mary's near Travis, right by the Greyhound bus terminal. Had questionable expectations, but this place blew them all away. It is the best, most freshest seafood in San Antonio. The place is small, they've only got 7 tables, and can only accomodate 27 people. A lot of it is just straight up seafood: boiled shrimp, raw oysters, steamed crab legs and lobster. Its a very limited menu. Buit what they have is FRESH, it doesn't taste like anything you can get at Papadeaux, Wildfish, or many other high-end seafood places in SA.

First off, I had Ceaser salad there. I love Ceasers and the two best I have ever ate where on a cruise ship and in a Sheraton in downtown DC. This beat them both.

Having traveled to the East Coast a lot, I am used to seeing a medly of different and fresh East Coast oysters. Never thought you could pull something off like that here (being so far away from the major coasts). These guys had a medly of not just east coast oysters but of west coast oysters as well. They were absolutely delicious, no grit, and very strong flavor. They were served with the traditional fixings plus a raspberry vinigrette and a cilantro vinigrette, which were a nice little diversion from the norm if you wanted to use them.

Their menu is pretty thin, mostly chilled, boiled, or steamed shellfish, but they usually have 3 or 4 "Off-menu" items. I tried one tonight, it was the pan-seared Diver Scallops with a mango and black bean salsa served over a potato pancake. It was excellent. My buddy, who doesn't even like scallops, tasted one and even said "Wow, if all scallops tasted like that, I would eat them more." He had the Shrimp chiveche, which was mixed with diced tomato and watermelon. What was cool is that when they are diced that small, you can't visually tell the watermelon squares from the tomate squares. I tried some and it was very good.

It is, however, very very pricey. My scallops alone were $39. But to taste food this good, I am not complaining. The service was great, but they only have one waiter and a busboy. Once all the tables were full, it was hard to get their attention. But they tried hard and were very sincere.

The good news is, they are moving in September to the Pearl Brewery complex and will expand their menu and have more items available across various different price lines. For me, though, I think I am going to be stuck for awhile getting the Ceaser salad and a dozen oysters.

By the way the Ceaser is HUGE. The waiter recommended we split it, but after we did, we found ourselves fighting over the scraps. I told my wife I would take her there to celebrate her new job, but I am going to eat the whole salad myself, she's gotta get her own! (screw it, I'm still paying for it)

Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
As I stated before, went to the Sandbar tonight on St. Mary's near Travis, right by the Greyhound bus terminal. Had questionable expectations, but this place blew them all away. It is the best, most freshest seafood in San Antonio. The place is small, they've only got 7 tables, and can only accomodate 27 people. A lot of it is just straight up seafood: boiled shrimp, raw oysters, steamed crab legs and lobster. Its a very limited menu. Buit what they have is FRESH, it doesn't taste like anything you can get at Papadeaux, Wildfish, or many other high-end seafood places in SA.

First off, I had Ceaser salad there. I love Ceasers and the two best I have ever ate where on a cruise ship and in a Sheraton in downtown DC. This beat them both.

Having traveled to the East Coast a lot, I am used to seeing a medly of different and fresh East Coast oysters. Never thought you could pull something off like that here (being so far away from the major coasts). These guys had a medly of not just east coast oysters but of west coast oysters as well. They were absolutely delicious, no grit, and very strong flavor. They were served with the traditional fixings plus a raspberry vinigrette and a cilantro vinigrette, which were a nice little diversion from the norm if you wanted to use them.

Their menu is pretty thin, mostly chilled, boiled, or steamed shellfish, but they usually have 3 or 4 "Off-menu" items. I tried one tonight, it was the pan-seared Diver Scallops with a mango and black bean salsa served over a potato pancake. It was excellent. My buddy, who doesn't even like scallops, tasted one and even said "Wow, if all scallops tasted like that, I would eat them more." He had the Shrimp chiveche, which was mixed with diced tomato and watermelon. What was cool is that when they are diced that small, you can't visually tell the watermelon squares from the tomate squares. I tried some and it was very good.

It is, however, very very pricey. My scallops alone were $39. But to taste food this good, I am not complaining. The service was great, but they only have one waiter and a busboy. Once all the tables were full, it was hard to get their attention. But they tried hard and were very sincere.

The good news is, they are moving in September to the Pearl Brewery complex and will expand their menu and have more items available across various different price lines. For me, though, I think I am going to be stuck for awhile getting the Ceaser salad and a dozen oysters.

By the way the Ceaser is HUGE. The waiter recommended we split it, but after we did, we found ourselves fighting over the scraps. I told my wife I would take her there to celebrate her new job, but I am going to eat the whole salad myself, she's gotta get her own! (screw it, I'm still paying for it)
Glad you had a great meal - it really is an awesome place.

I just wanted to clarify your comments regarding price - citing the $39 price for the scallops is very misleading. They normally have one or two "hot" dishes each night, and they're very expensive (as they're coming out of the Le Reve kitchen, and are worth every penny, really).

The balance of the dishes are much less expensive - almost all are under $15 (the caeser salad you raved about is $9, I believe). Given the quality you've cited, it really is a good value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio