Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Finally made it to raising cane, the strips were good. Place was packed and quick service.
What sorts of sauces (or whatever) did they have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthigh View Post
I'm always a sucker for new fast-food places I've never tried before, so last night it was Raisin' Canes on Bandera@Huebner. And I was somewhat...underwhelmed. Just your run-of-the-mill chicken strips meal with average-tasting sides. The chicken strips (er..."fingers") had a type of breading that I normally would expect on, say, fried catfish, so the disconnect between the texture/visual (expecting a fish taste) and the chicken was an odd experience. Unlike most fast food places, though, they did have quite decent iced tea (none of that sickly-sweet sugar-water crap; unsweetened is the ONLY way to go).

The other thing is the place was VERY, VERY, VERY LOUD. Made for an unpleasant dining experience.

I had better chicken strips a week earlier at Bush's Chicken, for roughly the same price. If I have a hankering for chicken strips, next time I'll opt for Bush's over Raisin' Canes. Or, for that matter, the Whataburger that is literally next door.
I absolutely LOVE Raising Cane's chicken. You cannot get a more tender "tender". But, I love Whataburger's too. And Bush's. Raising Cane's is a different breading from the other two...totally different. But I LOVE it! Love their dipping sauce and I actually craved their cole slaw through both of my pregnancies. So bizarre. LOL.

I'm just super psyched they are open here.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Had a Ruth Chris' turkey dinner and a few days later a Cracker Barrel roast pork dinner. No significant difference in food tasty qualities but Price !!! Oy, vey!!

Service was better at the CB than RC.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Taco Haven, Southtown

Sad to say, but the service was horrible, the food pedestrian and generally I can't recommend this once-great eatery to anyone any longer. It's really gone down the tubes. If you're looking for down-n-dirty Tex Mex in this hood, you're better off at El Mirador or Piedras Negras.

BN

Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM

18 posts, read 72,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Had a Ruth Chris' turkey dinner and a few days later a Cracker Barrel roast pork dinner. No significant difference in food tasty qualities but Price !!! Oy, vey!!

Service was better at the CB than RC.
Ruth and Chris's make a great steak. Fine dining with not so fine prices. We had great service when we went though, perhaps because it was a Thursday night. I have a lot of love for CB too, always great service no matter what the location!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Hadn't gone to Ruth's for a bit. The last time befor this, we had reservations and they were backed up for an hour anyway. I mentioned earlier that we did Myron's and it was quite expensive but excellent.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What sorts of sauces (or whatever) did they have?
It has its own sauce they serve it with cannot really say what kind it is but its good.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Revival Market (Houston)- This market and food purveyor was opened b the folks at Revival Meats and it is excellent. As a lunch spot, we enjoyed cornmeal fried oysters and a grass-fed roast beef sandwich w/ a pearl couscous side. Both were terrific. The sandwich, on challah, had bitter greens and pickled onions to cut through the remaining ingredients. For dessert, we had a homemade moon pie and a chocolate- dipped oatmeal cookie. Both were nice, but edge to the moon pie. As a market, they sel, among other things,l a wonderful selection of fresh breads, farm eggs & milks, and charcuterie from their mangalista pigs on their farm. They also have a coffee bar, but we did not try it.

2 thumbs up to this place if you find yourself in Houston. To anyone looking to open a business here, this is an excellent model to follow imo. Revival Market

Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
P.F. Changs at La Cantera. I had some lemongrass salmon asparagus dish. I was unimpressed.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Taco Haven, Southtown

Sad to say, but the service was horrible, the food pedestrian and generally I can't recommend this once-great eatery to anyone any longer. It's really gone down the tubes. If you're looking for down-n-dirty Tex Mex in this hood, you're better off at El Mirador or Piedras Negras.

BN
IMO Taco Haven and El Mirador fall under the worst service in town, I know Piedras is more of a family owned place so they try their best at providing good service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio