Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

Finally got a chance to grab some grub from BurgerFi on Bandera Road last night (in the Bandera Pointe shopping center where the SmashBurger used to be).

The burgers aren't bad but they are smaller than expected. They "grill" their logo into the bun, which is creative but doesn't really add to the experience. The fries would have been great if they weren't drowning in sea salt. They have Mexican Coke and Fanta Orange, but they're $2.75 a bottle which is a bit much. They also have those fancy soda dispensing machines which my teenage son thinks are great, but I'm less impressed.

The food was tasty but I had indigestion all evening. It's pretty greasy so if anyone is sensitive to that, steer clear. We paid $35 for two double burgers, a veggie burger, two fries and three Mexican sodas. Personally for that much money I'd drive a little further down Bandera Road and go to Bobby J's!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
My dining room. Bacon wrapped smoked turkey, fresh roasted Brussels sprouts with red onion, and Marie roasted potatoes.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
What's the number to make reservations at My Dining Room?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
What's the number to make reservations at My Dining Room?
Just head out 10 West and start hoking the horn when you get near Boerne. I will come get you.

Also, that should have been Marmite potatoes....spell check is great.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
Babes on Bandera - had a burger craving. Bacon Cheeseburg and rings. It was good.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Cool Cafe. Hadn't been in awhile. Everything was great. Been interesting to see the decor in this place evolve over the years. Texas Monthly recommended them years ago and picked a good one, IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
The Boiler House @The Pearl: Great space, but terrible everything else. Bad menu, overpriced for what you get and I've gotten better service at Dennys. It might shake out in a few months, but their reviews elsewhere don't give me great hope. They need a serious attitude adjustment.

BN
You don't think $5 for a can of Lone Star is a good deal? I thought it was totally overpriced also, and it looks like the Pearl is overrun with snobs.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Since yesterday's visit to Government Canyon was a bust due to the trails being closed after the rain, I took the family to Bobby J's Old Fashion Hamburgers.

Wide selection of burgers on the menu. I tried the Frito Pie burger. It was good, but not great. Fries were good, similar to Chester's. Others tried the crispy chicken salad, fried pickles and some other burger. They liked them OK.

Mrs. Bo thought she smelled sewer gas in the dining room. I was too congested to smell anything.

On balance, I'm fairly sure we'd go back if we were in the area, but it wasn't special enough to warrant a special trip to Helotes.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
The Boiler House @The Pearl: Great space, but terrible everything else. Bad menu, overpriced for what you get and I've gotten better service at Dennys. It might shake out in a few months, but their reviews elsewhere don't give me great hope. They need a serious attitude adjustment.

Mr. Tim's Country Kitchen (Southtown): Not having been since they first opened on St Marys, now on Presa, they're larger, cleaner and serving GREAT comfort food. Their fresh baked biscuits are incredible. Had the pork chop breakfast today and it was filling, perfectly cooked and inexpensive. This is my new go-to for breakfast (anytime of day or night).

Blue Star Brewery @BSAC: This place changes menus more than Lindsay Lohan is charged with alcohol-related crimes. Totally new chef, menu, etc. They're trying to go upscale with the taste, have removed all caffeine from their menu (eek!), but the servers remain untrained and slow. I waited 25 minutes for a cup of decaf coffee. No bueno. Brisket hash for brunch was fantastic. The new line in the kitchen is cranking out some AWESOME tastes... Let's hope they can shape up the wait staff soon to match.

BN
I agree about The Boiler House, especially with regard to price. I actually thought some of the food was good. The lame live music was really a bummer, though.

And are you serious about no caffeine at Blue Star??? I find that hard to believe, and it sounds like an insanely bad choice. Last time I looked at the menu, it seemed really limited-to-non-existent for vegetarians, too. Not that every place has to offer a bonanza, but given the location and the clientele, I think it would be smart for them to offer more.

Any word on Halcyon?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I agree about The Boiler House, especially with regard to price. I actually thought some of the food was good. The lame live music was really a bummer, though.

And are you serious about no caffeine at Blue Star??? I find that hard to believe, and it sounds like an insanely bad choice. Last time I looked at the menu, it seemed really limited-to-non-existent for vegetarians, too. Not that every place has to offer a bonanza, but given the location and the clientele, I think it would be smart for them to offer more.

Any word on Halcyon?

Halcyon is coming along. I'd say about mid-Feb by the looks of the construction and finish-out. There's also rumor of a well-known South Alamo eatery being forced out of their for-lease building and moving into Blue Star as well. More on that as I hear... Stay tuned.

The Pearl is full of faux city folks: People who are close to wanting that sense of community, but still want to live in overpriced, Stone Oak-like apartment housing. It's cookie cutter and totally uninteresting to me... Southtown, King William, Blue Star and SoFlo have so much more character and space. I'd never live at Pearl, but perhaps in the surrounding Gov't Hill area, where you can find some neat 1930's era bungalows.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio