Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM

42 posts, read 93,503 times

Advertisements

Cafe Ole on the Riverwalk. Sucked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Oh ok, right across from the post office. Out of my usual walking path . I have noticed it, but it looked unappealing. Good to know the food is good, we need decent chinese around downtown! Would love a good Thai restaurant - I keep hoping the Bubblehead folks will convince their cousins to open one in the old Art Bar (they already run another). Did you hear about the rebirth of the Pig Stand? I'd prefer something different, but we're pushing for some vegetarian options, and it'll be better than it being vacant.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Last week:

Siam Delight for lunch. I'm a regular there. They claim to make the Som Tom just for me . They can be hit or miss, but since they know me they tend to make it the way I like (the Thai way). I've found that true with most Thai restaurants - their standards, esp. lunch specials, are really Americanized, but if they know you they'll make it the Thai way (because they know you prefer that...). Same seems to be true for Chinese restaurants, but I don't know any enough to go on my own. I only go with other regulars.

La Foccacia - I wasn't a fan to begin with, but husband away and mom in town and a little one, I figured it'd be easy. It was. Food was fine, but nothing special.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Did you hear about the rebirth of the Pig Stand? I'd prefer something different, but we're pushing for some vegetarian options, and it'll be better than it being vacant.
I did hear about it. From Mister Tim actually, who originally wanted to take over that space, but the owner wanted WAY too much in rent. He opened up down the block and his new space is c'est magnifique, although a little lacking in the wait-staff category.

Rumor has it that Oloroso will soon be closing up shop and that a new Thai eatery will fill that space. Liberty Bar will be up and running by the end of the year in the convent space. The space below Joe Blues @ Blue Star might see a small coffee/sandwich spot open as well. Lots happening in King William and Southtown. WHOOHOO

BN

Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I did hear about it. From Mister Tim actually, who originally wanted to take over that space, but the owner wanted WAY too much in rent. He opened up down the block and his new space is c'est magnifique, although a little lacking in the wait-staff category.

Rumor has it that Oloroso will soon be closing up shop and that a new Thai eatery will fill that space. Liberty Bar will be up and running by the end of the year in the convent space. The space below Joe Blues @ Blue Star might see a small coffee/sandwich spot open as well. Lots happening in King William and Southtown. WHOOHOO
Not surprised about the rent, unfortunately. This new projects seems ready to go.

Mr Tim's seems to have scored well though - that space was in dire need of a restaurant. I'm not a huge fan of southern cooking, but I do like to go to offer support. Do you know why the old Barbed Wire grill closed? It's been quite a number of years now, and nothing seemed to be able to take it's place, so I'm glad Mr Tim has moved in. BWG was always packed....

Shame for Oloroso but I will be thrilled if Thai goes in there!!!

I was very bummed about Presa St Grill. Business was doing well finally but according to the owner, the Torres family wouldn't renew her lease. Something about turning it into an event space . Now it's just one more vacant spot on that strip. I had hoped she'd re-open in Mr Tim's old place or the Art Bar, but she decided to give it all up.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
madeline's at 601 king street west, toronto, 416.603.2205 | LEE Restaurant, Toronto. (http://www.susur.com/madelines/ - broken link)

One of the most incredible restaurants I have been to, madelines in toronto. I not counting the 5:30am bagel I ate in the airport as the last place I ate at...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Not surprised about the rent, unfortunately. This new projects seems ready to go
What I really miss is Southtown Cafe. It was so convenient and located in a spot that could really use the traffic and revitalization. I hope that in the future something along the same line would open in the same building.

The biggest thing that irks me is the Blue Star Brewery: It's got a primo location within the hood, but offers the most bland, boring food. They just revamped their menu and replaced the only thing that had some actual flavor, the bratwurst plate.

Their beer and homemade soda, however, remain stellar

BN

Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
What I really miss is Southtown Cafe. It was so convenient and located in a spot that could really use the traffic and revitalization. I hope that in the future something along the same line would open in the same building.

The biggest thing that irks me is the Blue Star Brewery: It's got a primo location within the hood, but offers the most bland, boring food. They just revamped their menu and replaced the only thing that had some actual flavor, the bratwurst plate.

Their beer and homemade soda, however, remain stellar

BN
Agreed on both counts. Would be really nice to see something go into that spot.

re: Blue Star - I used to enjoy their food more (years ago). It's ok for pub grub, and they had a few decent options, but the last couple of times I've gone it's just felt like I was laden with grease. Even the veggie burgers have gone downhill. I do like their beer, but in my current condition have not been partaking of late

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM

68 posts, read 147,519 times
Cristan's #3 on Hildebrand(near IH10)...great mexican food at good prices...its a little dive like many in San Antonio, but they have never disappointed me

Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 PM

122 posts, read 372,461 times
Thousand Oaks Cafe on Austin Hwy has GREAT breakfast tacos and good prices fast service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio