Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 AM

501 posts, read 776,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Hot Joy
Of the several restaurants doing "Asian food by non-Asian chefs" that have opened in the past year (Kimura, Umai Mi, Tuk-tuk)....this is the one I'd pick in a heartbeat if I only had one choice.
This isn't implied as a dis on any of those other places....some of which are superlative, and all of which we'd heartily recommend. It would kind of depend what other factors were in play...if we were with a beer drinking group it would be Tuk -tuk (nobody comes close on their tap selections), if we were after Ramen, chef Jon at Kimura takes the cake. Patio service and don't want the downtown drive? Umai Mi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:22 PM

336 posts, read 483,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
This isn't implied as a dis on any of those other places....some of which are superlative, and all of which we'd heartily recommend. It would kind of depend what other factors were in play...if we were with a beer drinking group it would be Tuk -tuk (nobody comes close on their tap selections), if we were after Ramen, chef Jon at Kimura takes the cake. Patio service and don't want the downtown drive? Umai Mi.
I agree with what you're saying, but TukTuk's food is just terrible. Oversalted, overpriced and no parking on-site. Beer selection aside, their so-so reviews speak for themselves.

Kimura does indeed have great ramen, but the owner publically moans so much about his lack of customer base that I would rather eat elsewhere. He's obviously not a marketeer, as he's still making some huge mistakes and not attracting folks to his eatery.

Umai I love, but Artisans Alley is like driving to Egypt for me. Only on special occasions or when there's a car service involved

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Hon Machi on Culebra Rd. In an unlikely spot, the little strip mall between Dunkin Donuts and Comet Dry Cleaners.

VERY nice little place (you would never guess from the outside or location) with great Udon, sushi, Nigiri and Sashimi and a full liquor license so you can get everything from Kirin and Sapporo beer to wine or fu-fu type of drinks. We had the seared tuna, gyoza, miso soup and Korean BBQ Ribeye steak and Seafood Udon between us. EXCELLENT and a lovely little jewel close to home with nice Japanese interior. If you go to their website, you will find both 15% and 20% off coupons to print up and use. Enjoyed having something nice so close to home over only fast food choices. This is their 2nd location, other is in Stone Oak.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:05 PM

179 posts, read 247,162 times
grady`ss on bandera-fried catfish wuz the best.......p.f.changs at quarry,

Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Umai Mi- Concept is fine. The space is pleasant and I think they did a solid job transforming the place. Service was friendly but slow on wine delivery. The wine/beer menu was serviceable (beer selection the better of the 2). The food was solid, but certainly not excellent. With some tweaks they could get it there, but they have some work to do. We went for dim sum and I love that they are doing that. Shrimp shumai was dry. A pork & mushroom dumpling had a wonderfully flavored stuffing, but I suspect the wrappers were not house made and were oily, tough, and unevenly cooked. The fried shrimp were excellent. Deviled siracha eggs were good, if not particularly memorable. Lemongrass chicken had a wonderful flavor, but the white meat was dry. Wagyu meatballs in jungle curry were also good, but I wouldn't seek them out. I would go back, but i'm in no rush to do so with Hot Joy now open.

While i'm at it, let me cast my vote for Tuk Tuk having terrible food. I would periodically fly to Vegas just to eat at Lotus of Siam, so I was thrilled when I learned of the plans for Tuk Tuk (and the chef is a hell of a nice guy). We went once and ate in the back. The food was horribly salty and lacked the balance and depth of flavors you find in great Thai. Parking, as stated above, is terrible. I suspect it will only be worse with the Taco and Pizza places opening near by.

With respect to Kimura, I feel I got the bait-and-switch. It is not a ramen restaurant in the traditional sense. It became a Japanese restaurant with limited ramen options on the menu.

Last edited by jwebtx; 04-07-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Arcade Midtown Kitchen

Sunday Brunch was decent.

The service was stellar as usual after you get past the host.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM

265 posts, read 534,177 times
B&D Ice House 1004 S. Alamo (Across from Mad Hatter's/Tito's/Friendly Spot)

After much anticipation, a decent BBQ venue has opened in Southtown. B&D is another Dady project, and although the menu prices reflect it, I must admit, it was the best brisket I have eaten in a long LONG time. (And for those of you who know me, I'm not a light eater!) I was a bit disappointed in the mustard potato salad, but the bbq beans were decent. Did I mention the brisket? Tender and juicy..... I think the people in Lockhart/Luling refer to this as 'no teef' bbq, as the meat is so tender, you don't need teeth to masticate it. The flavor-spot on, juicy-not dry. Plentiful. Two slices (about 3/4 inch thick) did me in. Again, rather pricey, but I will be back!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,608 times
Choke Canyon BBQ, finally a good bbq place in Stone Oak..

Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Choke Canyon is good. Sushishima last night - also good.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Two Brothers Market on West Ave. Waited about twenty minutes early Sunday Afternoon. It was worth the wait. The brisket was tender with a good smoke ring and just enough bark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio