Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

Why is the tamales in Louisiana so much better than the ones in San Antonio and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hello,

My girl and I ate at Mi Casa Tamale on Friday night. Always see cars lining IH-10 and decided to try it for the first time.

The first impression was good, but quickly soured as we realized that we were in for some of the worst service EVER.

They ran out of chips so no appetizer till halfway through our dinner. We ordered the puffy taco platter and the green enchilada They arrived on plastic ware. Not even the good thick kind, the cheap Styrofoam kind. Look around, our waiter had disappeared. Silverware? A passing employee, no idea who since our waiter was long gone gave us two plastic forks, once again not the good kind, but possibly the cheapest ones available. No knife, no spoon for the salsa sitting there all alone with no chips to dip. No butter for the supplied TWO tortillas, flour, were not even asked if we wanted corn. Take a bite of the quickly cooling puffy taco (no heat was on and the door was open, with the little kitty coming in and out as it willed) and realized with growing annoyance as the grease dribbled off of my fingers, no NAPKINS.

I would not mind so much if this was cheap food and cost less than $5.00 a plate but for two plates of food and two margaritas the total was $35 and I tipped $6 (just for his effort, I do not believe in stiffing.)

The chips when they finally came were good. The food was acceptable, but overpriced for what you got.

Does not end there though. My female friend wanted to use the restroom before leaving. ONE teeny, tiny little bathroom, no lock for both male and female patrons!! She found this out by walking in on the current occupant.

DO NOT EAT AT MI CASA TAMALE.

jmho

crazedchef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM

13 posts, read 49,283 times
we ate at Green and yum yum was it delicious... but really there aren't too many other options for us veggies here in sa. Try the chicken fried wheat-meat for some cruelty free comfort food.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why is the tamales in Louisiana so much better than the ones in San Antonio and South Texas
You haven't been to Ruebens on Rigsby and Roland...

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Maybe you can find your answer here, in the thread you started last July.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...w-orleans.html

Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2121 View Post
we ate at Green and yum yum was it delicious... but really there aren't too many other options for us veggies here in sa. Try the chicken fried wheat-meat for some cruelty free comfort food.

Hi k2121, perhaps if you are looking for strict vegetarian restaurants, yes, few options of course.

I find it very easy to be vegetarian in restaurans around SA. Compared to other cities? Well....

But all things considered it's super easy. Especially when a place staffs knowledgable servers who can answer questions about bases and broths etc.

There was a threat a while back, try searching it or just go through this thread and read online menus. There are some great places out in SA, the culinary scene is growing...

Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM

40 posts, read 136,085 times
Papa Dante's, in Converse. Don't waste your money! Over priced for food that a five year old could make at home.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM

61,683 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieMan View Post
Papa Dante's, in Converse. Don't waste your money! Over priced for food that a five year old could make at home.

Awww.... that sounds awful ! Thank you for the warning, Aggie

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

172 posts, read 468,650 times
Yeah I agree, Papa Dante is all that anymore.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
Sammy's on Main Street in Boerne. This is Boerne's latest Tex-Mex restaurant and by far its best. Everything was home made, the service was friendly and well trained, and everything tasted very good. Carne Guisada was tender and flavorful with a wonderful brown gravy. Several people at the table commented on the high quality of the tortillas as well. B+/A- for TexMex

Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 AM

213 posts, read 568,079 times
Genghis Grill the new one at Westlakes area. So-so, overcrowded area in resturant, service slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio