Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Tonight: Restaurant Insignia

Jason Dady, creator of some of my favorite dining spaces in San Antonio (TRE, 2Bro's, The Lodge) has re-opened a dining spot in the always-doomed Fairmont Hotel front window. I figured that if anyone could turn that sow's ear into a silk purse, it would be him. He is, after all, been called the younger aire apparent to local culinary masters like Andrew Weissman, Bruce Auden and Nelson Gonzales.

I wanted to like Insignia... But I didn't. Here's why:

Starting with the dining space, it was entirely too bright for the large, floor to ceiling windows that face the building. I felt as if on display in an otherwise VERY empty restaurant. The chairs, while stylish, were totally uncomfortable and with ESPN being played on all of the plasma screens in the place, it seems as if Insignia was having an identity crisis of sorts: Are they a neighborhood watering hole with loud sports echoing around or an upscale fusion eatery that's able to charge $15/small plate and $15 for a 'handcrafted' cocktail? They need to figure that out now.

They also could use a better ventilation hood in the kitchen. I fought smoke from the fried chicken all night and ended up leaving Insignia smelling IHOP-fresh.

Food: Started with three small plates. Wagyu meatballs, their signature bone-marrow pudding and what sounded to be a nice foie gras on toast points. Plate after plate, they all dissapointed. Someone in the kitchen sure likes sea salt, as it was in and on everything in full-force. All of the dishes served tonight were either too salty, too dripping in its own grease or simply not hot. Nothing, IMO, is worse than serving a guest a luke warm meal. It's unacceptable. The marrow should have been savory, but it ended up being bland (likely from not enough marrow being used in the recipe). The toast points were way too flavorful and overpowered the foie gras, as well as the marrow-pudding. Wagyu meatballs are a novelty to begin with, but the meat at Insignia tasted previously frozen, incredibly bland and wasn't thoroughly warm.

Main course was their chicken & waffles. Fun concept, but somewhere in LA Roscoes (famous for creating the trend) is screaming bloody murder. Insignia's waffle was soggy and the chicken doused in some combination of cream gravy and maple syrup, making the whole thing look like slop rather than an interesting combo of savory-and-sweet. Luckily, this time, the chicken was served piping hot. I appreciated that.

The service was top notch, although the initial host was pretty flip about me having made reservations. The bartender made a mean gin & tonic as well (in a tall glass thankfully). Aside from one other couple in the corner, my partner and I were the only people dining.

For the price ($130 for two, w/tip), I'm not racing back to Insignia anytime soon. It's overwrought, overdone and Jason Dady does NOT have a hit on his hands with this current menu and space... Yet. I'm a firm believer of always being able to improve the dismal. This space could truly be something special if they make some needed changes.

BN
We had the almost the exact same experience. The whole concept just seemed 'thrown together' and thoughtless. With the exception of the shrimp-and-grits (which were just bad), everything we tried (and we tried a lot) just elicited a shrug.

I'm definitely a fan of Dady's other places...but I'll be hard-pressed to return to Insignia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
GF in town. Went to Barbaresco last night for HH.

Ordered off of the HH menu, the Breaded and Fried Zucchini was flavorful, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside without a hint of oil. The dish did not keep its heat but was hot upon delivery.

The Portobello Mushrooms with Gorgonzola and Hearts of Palm were fantastic. Cooked just right, had a pleasing consistency.

Both portions were quite large, especially for the HH prices. Boxes were called for.

All in all, the food, wine and service were spot on. We only shared the place with no more than 3 other tables at a time - which left the place without a hustle and bustle feeling.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Tonight: Restaurant Insignia

Jason Dady, creator of some of my favorite dining spaces in San Antonio (TRE, 2Bro's, The Lodge) has re-opened a dining spot in the always-doomed Fairmont Hotel front window. I figured that if anyone could turn that sow's ear into a silk purse, it would be him. He is, after all, been called the younger aire apparent to local culinary masters like Andrew Weissman, Bruce Auden and Nelson Gonzales.

I wanted to like Insignia... But I didn't. Here's why:

S

For the price ($130 for two, w/tip), I'm not racing back to Insignia anytime soon. It's overwrought, overdone and Jason Dady does NOT have a hit on his hands with this current menu and space... Yet. I'm a firm believer of always being able to improve the dismal. This space could truly be something special if they make some needed changes.

BN
Couldn't agree more. To me, the place felt a bit thrown together. As if the deal of taking over another previously-defunct restaurant spot was too good to pass up. The menu was all over the place, and all just OK.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Finally tried K-BURGER on Harry Wurzbach! I really had no interest in trying it until I recently read a review and found out "K" was for Korean. Their specialty is the "K-burger", which is a bolgogi (kind of like teriyaki) flavored burger which had very good flavor (GF had the "American" Angus, which she enjoyed very much). They also serve ground chicken and pork burgers. The fries are half-circle home fries, the onion rings are medium size and not beer battered, very good. On the non-buger side of the menu, they feature beef, pork and chicken rice bowls, which I hope to try one day. They aslo sell inhouse made beef jerky, which the GF and kids enjoyed.

Prices were very affordable, and the place also runs lots of specials and freebies. When we went, we all recieved free chicken soup samples "to warm us up"!

The building itself could use a lot of work, the 35+ year old location has been a Bill Millers, Rolandos, Jamie D BBQ and seafood place in the past and is now a little run down. Still, a nice place for lunch or takeout, or a very casual dinner, and the staff was very nice also.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,943 times
Lion & Rose on Broadway to go-

Curry Chicken was very good as usual.
Beef Stew- enjoyable.
Chicken & Mushroom Pie- not a wow item, but certainly suitable for takeout.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Red Lobster. Never had lobster before so I can't compare to any other lobster at another restaurant. Good eats to celebrate hubby getting hired @ Rackspace. New year, new job!
I actually really love Red Lobster! The thing I actually look forward to, though, is their side salad. I know I'm a little kooky, but it's just always--ALWAYS! crisp and fresh with the right amount of everything. When I'm on an Atkins kick I go to RL and get the Ultimate Feast, sub scallops for the fried shrimp, and get two of the side salads.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:15 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Red Lobster rocks my face off! The salad is excellent. We're taking our boss there next week for a luncheon. May sound a little odd, but their chicken fingers are great!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Hubby took me to The Melting Pot on Blanco Rd. last night for my birthday. It was sooooo wonderful and so much fun! I love fondue!!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Had Wok Inn on Potranco, can't go wrong with all you can eat soup before your meal.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
We FINALLY got to try Asia Kitchen in the scenic 410/Marbach area last night! OMGOSH!! Why did we wait so long?! The red curry dish that I had, Gaeng Ped, was absolutely divine! Son had Pad Thai and otherhalf had Sesame Chicken. All was delish! And there's was at least half of everything left, so our son will be enjoying it for awhile! (We were going shopping after, so sent it all home with him.) And I tell ya, our waitress was probably the MOST polite waitress we've ever had, even in "upscale" restaurants! It'll definitely be a frequent place for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio