Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM

57 posts, read 158,957 times

Advertisements

OH...and I just read that you are Army....and surely you know about the branch rivalry. I think the Navy guys call the AF the Air Force Pukes and so on.....but overall I'm sure they'll get past that competitive nature eventually.[/quote]

Actually, my recently retired Navy self refers to them as "The Scare Force" or the "Pampered Princesses." In my experience, the Air Force as a whole does tend to project an "elitist" aura. Just look at their latest slogan, "Above All". What kind of message does that send? (We ARE supposed to be on the same team aren't we?)

I do agree that what the poster is experiencing is some of the above, along with what others have identified as "small town" atmosphere. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
You're going a little too far with these comments. Have some respect for those who serve for your country. Thanks.
Knowing the military, I called the security police to find what was necessary to access the school. I was told I was:
1. required to visit the front gate,
2. present proof of insurance,
3. evidence of ownership of my vehicle, and
4. my driver's license.

I arrived well in advance with ALL the required paperwork. [Let me stop right here and say NO ONE, either in my initial call or when I went to the guard shack, told me the school could be accessed by WITHOUT going through Randolph].

I presented all paperwork to be told that no one from the school had informed the SPs of any event going on that a civilian would attend.[It was a UIL event and we were the first to arrive] .

I suggested a phone call to verify the event. The staff sergeant curtly informed me it was not his job to do the calling, the school was tasked with that responsibility. Perhaps an exception in this case since more were coming, was my request or perhaps if he gave me the number so I could call. Neither could be done.

Watching the time slip away and knowing the auditorium would be closed with no late access, I suggested that someone else be asked to resolve the dilemma. After far too long a period, a tech comes out of an office threatening to have me ARRESTED for interfering with security at the base. My daughter and I were dumbfounded by her aggressive, unprofessional and unwarranted attitude.

With this, I first asked, then demanded that her commanding officer become involved. Suddenly, the phone rings, the situation was suddenly resolved, and we were given directions how to access the campus WITHOUT involving the military. [Why we were not told of this earlier, I am still confounded by.]

At NO time did I become disrespectful, use abusive language or raise my voice[ALL three are in my bag of tricks]. I simply required them to use some intellect and common sense to resolve what was THEIR problem.

Of course when we finally arrived, the production had begun and we were denied access. I was now livid. Fortunately, the superintendent of my grandson's school knew of the situation we had experienced and demanded the three of us be given access.

I do have GREAT respect for those that defend our precious country and make us safe. I have little time for those that hide in an uniform, abuse their authority and try to bully people.

By the way I did serve in the Air Force and have a number of awards and citations, none of which were given me for shuffling papers or alienating civilians.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Maybe the "elite" behaviour/vibe stems from the pilot population there?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I think it is the opposite. Randolph is a plum tour-pilot instructor training, navigator training and , I think an air education command with a 4 star.

Of all the things it is, it is not an operational base. The base has a top heavy number of high ranking officers and NCOs, all trying to make a name for themselves and enhance their promotability. As a result, far too much emphasis on non operational issues- savings bonds drives, military education courses being taken, EEOC goals being achieved, United Way participation, dental appointments being met and much, much more.

Few of the matrixes being graded have anything to do with operational leadership or command decision making. There are rules and regulations that prevent things from happening. Checklists and ops plans for everything, a guide for everything but how to think in a non prescribed fashion, the "outside the box" thinking so often the buzz word.

As a result, each echelon of command "only" has the best and brightest from the bottom to top thus their self defined elitism. One only has to see the products of the military academies to see the effects of inbreeding that myth.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM

224 posts, read 689,184 times
ugh, my head hurts...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I think it is the opposite. Randolph is a plum tour-pilot instructor training, navigator training and , I think an air education command with a 4 star.

Of all the things it is, it is not an operational base. The base has a top heavy number of high ranking officers and NCOs, all trying to make a name for themselves and enhance their promotability. As a result, far too much emphasis on non operational issues- savings bonds drives, military education courses being taken, EEOC goals being achieved, United Way participation, dental appointments being met and much, much more.

Few of the matrixes being graded have anything to do with operational leadership or command decision making. There are rules and regulations that prevent things from happening. Checklists and ops plans for everything, a guide for everything but how to think in a non prescribed fashion, the "outside the box" thinking so often the buzz word.

As a result, each echelon of command "only" has the best and brightest from the bottom to top thus their self defined elitism. One only has to see the products of the military academies to see the effects of inbreeding that myth.

Um.....what?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post

Ya sound a wee bit bitter. I work with many of the "types" you try to describe here and I do not feel you speak the truth about the majority of those I work with on a daily basis.

And please stop hijacking this thread, it's supposed to be about the school.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM

224 posts, read 689,184 times
hee hee

Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood64 View Post
OH...and I just read that you are Army....and surely you know about the branch rivalry. I think the Navy guys call the AF the Air Force Pukes and so on.....but overall I'm sure they'll get past that competitive nature eventually.
Actually, my recently retired Navy self refers to them as "The Scare Force" or the "Pampered Princesses." In my experience, the Air Force as a whole does tend to project an "elitist" aura. Just look at their latest slogan, "Above All". What kind of message does that send? (We ARE supposed to be on the same team aren't we?)

I do agree that what the poster is experiencing is some of the above, along with what others have identified as "small town" atmosphere. Good luck in your search![/quote]

I was actually making light of all the branches poking fun at each other. I'm actually a "Scarce Force" brat, but I have the utmost respect for all the branches....as do any of our friends in any part of the military. I was not in any way promoting an idea that the Air Force projects any elitism. Having a son that has military aspirations, he would be proud to be in any branch. However....the Air Force has much smaller numbers and as whole has more technology based fields.....that sort of narrows the playing field as to who can join up. If anyone in the Air Force wants to feel "elite", that's there own inflated ego....not the Air Force as a whole.

Back to the topic....attending school on base. Again...limited numbers....it forces some tighter qualifications. If it comes across as being restrictive it's because it is.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post

OMG....not to diminish anything the AF pilots do....but the Navy Pilots require a lot more precision and nerves of steel to land a multi-million dollar jet on a pitching aircraft carrier sometimes at night! wow......I bow to those egos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio