Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: District 8 runoff election:
Diane Cibrian 1 9.09%
Reed Williams 3 27.27%
Mike Berlanga 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times

Advertisements

Diane Cibrian, who unsuccessfully ran for mayor this year, is the incumbent. She faces Reed Williams and Mike Berlanga in the District 8 runoff election on June 13th.

Who do you plan to vote for and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 AM

As a District 8 resident I am throwing my support behind Berlanga. He is running on a business-friendly platform (both corporate and small business). He attended high school here and is an alumnus of both St Mary's and UTSA.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Cibrian is not on the ballot. She ran for mayor instead. The choice is between Williams and Berlanga.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Cibrian is not on the ballot. She ran for mayor instead. The choice is between Williams and Berlanga.
Oh I thought she was running for mayor and city council. My bad.

Is that even allowed here? It's very common at the national level (say run for Governor or Senate and President).

That does leave me breathing a sigh of relief though.

Vote Cibrian if you'd prefer neither candidate.

BTW I will not be voting as I'm not currently living in SA (haven't in a month actually)

Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Williams has my vote. I got a flyer in the mail that said all the opponents support him. Why would I vote for a guy who doesn't have the support of his opponents? I've also heard some shady news about Berlanga's taxes....ahh here it is http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Candidate_behind_on_taxes_.html (broken link)

I had someone from Berlanga's office call me to ask for my vote on Memorial Day and I asked them why I should vote for him if no one else is supporting him and she said "Well..he's a CPA and will balance the budget..." but the budget isn't my issue. Traffic is my issue (and yes traffic won't get fixed if the budget isn't balanced..but still.) Although Berlanga gets props for standing in the median of De Zavala waving to get votes a few days back. Not my vote though.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 06-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Today is the big day. Get out and vote if you live in one of the districts hosting a runoff election!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Slightly off-topic, but similar... I listened to a radio debate yesterday featuring the two candidates from District 2. Usually those debates are tame and everyone's polite to each other when they disagree. This debate was not like that. Those two candidates really don't like each other! I'll be curious to see who wins.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but similar... I listened to a radio debate yesterday featuring the two candidates from District 2. Usually those debates are tame and everyone's polite to each other when they disagree. This debate was not like that. Those two candidates really don't like each other! I'll be curious to see who wins.
Have you read Accusations, not issues, fuel District 2 runoff (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/Accusations_not_issues_fuel_District_2_runoff.html - broken link) yet? That explains a lot of the bad blood between the two. I knew there were some personal issues, but that article really shined some light on the whole Galvan/Medina battle.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you read Accusations, not issues, fuel District 2 runoff (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/Accusations_not_issues_fuel_District_2_runoff.html - broken link) yet? That explains a lot of the bad blood between the two. I knew there were some personal issues, but that article really shined some light on the whole Galvan/Medina battle.
No, I hadn't seen that. Most of the charges in that article came up during the debate. The radio host had trouble getting each candidate to discuss issues for very long. They were each focused on pointing out the other's shortcomings!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
No, I hadn't seen that. Most of the charges in that article came up during the debate. The radio host had trouble getting each candidate to discuss issues for very long. They were each focused on pointing out the other's shortcomings!
It's horrible that personal issues get brought up in this area of town. There are so many things in that district that need fixing, that have been mentioned by both candidates. It could be a wonderful area for growth and gentrification if the money and funding is put there. It's near the up and coming areas of the southside (but not in them..south Flores..lavaca..etc.) and convenient to downtown.

But, to be on topic, just got back from voting and met Reed Williams. He's a cute little old man. I hope he wins! He has the backing of so many organizations that it would be sad to see Berlanga win just because he has a CPA at the end of his name. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you're qualified. I've lost the opportunity to have many awesome jobs just because I thought having a "BA" made me qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: