Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj007 View Post
Road improvements are needed and coming soon, but when is the question? I dont know when but you have to get happy in the same panties you got mad in until then. So sit in traffic like everyone else.
But back to the NFL, No one wants the stadium built on their dollar, plain and simple. Especially in our country's economic state.
I don't know what that panties comment meant but I do support an owner financed stadium. In fact it's best if an owner relocates and builds his own dome here with his own money. That way we can bypass all of the negative, narrow-minded, backwards thinking crowd and not give them a referendum to vote against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There it is,
an NFL team in San Antonio

When a team relocates here this dallas cowboy fiasco will be run out of town on a rail. And they can take their fans here with them.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
When a team relocates here this dallas cowboy fiasco will be run out of town on a rail. And they can take their fans here with them.
If that happens, San Antonio won't be a big enough media market to support an NFL team anymore! There are a lot of Cowboy fans in SA.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If that happens, San Antonio won't be a big enough media market to support an NFL team anymore! There are a lot of Cowboy fans in SA.
Ha, ha. Very funny.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM

11 posts, read 25,897 times
Quote:
I don't know what that panties comment meant but I do support an owner financed stadium. In fact it's best if an owner relocates and builds his own dome here with his own money. That way we can bypass all of the negative, narrow-minded, backwards thinking crowd and not give them a referendum to vote against.

http://www.sandiego.gov/chargersissues/pdf/horrow.pdf

The public always pays (almost, see below). Perhaps we wouldn't cover the majority of the cost (unlikely), but there would still be a huge outlay of public funding. And a lot of the team financing comes from PSLs, meaning that money also comes from the public, albeit the segment actually interested in attending. An owner won't move here without the public money incentive. Interestingly, referendums only occurred in about half of these situations, and one even failed (Pittsburgh).

edit: New Meadowlands is privately financed, but I think we can all agree that's not a realistic scenario for San Antonio. Especially now that the NFL no longer has a stadium assistance fund.

An even better chart on page 4 here: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Econ/faculty/Vrooman/49ers-deal.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by The Rising Suun; 07-31-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rising Suun View Post
http://www.sandiego.gov/chargersissues/pdf/horrow.pdf

The public always pays (almost, see below). Perhaps we wouldn't cover the majority of the cost (unlikely), but there would still be a huge outlay of public funding. And a lot of the team financing comes from PSLs, meaning that money also comes from the public, albeit the segment actually interested in attending. An owner won't move here without the public money incentive. Interestingly, referendums only occurred in about half of these situations, and one even failed (Pittsburgh).

edit: New Meadowlands is privately financed, but I think we can all agree that's not a realistic scenario for San Antonio. Especially now that the NFL no longer has a stadium assistance fund.

An even better chart on page 4 here: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Econ/faculty/Vrooman/49ers-deal.pdf (broken link)
I hear what you are saying, but circumstances may be this city's best chance of getting a team for cheap (cheap in contrast to what a team would normally cost during times of prosperity). San Diego & Jacksonville both are hurting in their current locations and their future prospects for those locations - even during a time of prosperity - look dim, whereas SA's looks good. They may make a break for it now and it would be at a cost that could very well benefit the city. If SA is really serious about a team, now may be the perfect time to be aggressive in acquiring one.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I think it's time SA gets an NFL franchise.....I'm tired of having the Cowboys jammed down our throat as though we have no other option. This is the 7th largest city in the U.S. and thus one of the largest markets. It's a shame cities like Jacksonville, Oakland, and Cincinatti have NFL franchises and yet we do not. What makes these cities better than us? It's time that this city be given more options when it comes to Pro Sports.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiz216 View Post
I think it's time SA gets an NFL franchise.....I'm tired of having the Cowboys jammed down our throat as though we have no other option. This is the 7th largest city in the U.S. and thus one of the largest markets. It's a shame cities like Jacksonville, Oakland, and Cincinatti have NFL franchises and yet we do not. What makes these cities better than us? It's time that this city be given more options when it comes to Pro Sports.
I agree completely. I'm going to love the look on Jones' face when it's announced that San Antonio will be getting a team. I don't pay any attention to the dallas training camp thing so that doesn't bother me much. What I do resent, like you, is that Jones really believes San Antonio is apart of his cowboy world. There are so many people here who would jump at the chance to support their own team than you can shake a stick at. Myself included.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
I agree completely. I'm going to love the look on Jones' face when it's announced that San Antonio will be getting a team.
If the NFL was like some other sports around the World where anybody can start a team from nothing... that'd be a great idea.

The problem is that NFL, NBA, MLB are monopolies controlled by a small grouup of people and Jones is one of them.
It's gonna be Jones plus his friends voting against San Antonio getting a team.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If the NFL was like some other sports around the World where anybody can start a team from nothing... that'd be a great idea.

The problem is that NFL, NBA, MLB are monopolies controlled by a small grouup of people and Jones is one of them.
It's gonna be Jones plus his friends voting against San Antonio getting a team.
I am aware of the monopolistic nature of the major pro sports leagues. I still contend that if an owner chooses to relocate his team here the league will support the move. It would still mean revenue for the likes of Jerry Jones because the money the team's take in from television gets put into a gigantic pot which is then distributed to the various owners. So that South and Central Texans by the millions watching a San Antonio franchise on television will make Jones richer. And that's what it is really all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio