U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM

431 posts, read 660,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Cannot support their NBA team??? Are you delusional??? The Spurs continue to sellout home games on a consistent basis for decades now. If they did not the team would have been relocated years ago. And I am sorry but this is not Europe or Latin America so soccer will never work here. Try being in a German soccer riot. I have never felt so alive! Soccer=ZZZZZZ.
it is also the 9th ranked team as far as value (did operate at a loss last season )
one of the few things pop did right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,616,089 times
Post-game press conferences are my favorite thing about Coach Pop. You better come with a good question or he will let you have it. And I have been waiting for an NFL team since the mid-80's. And I am still waiting.......

Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM

37 posts, read 57,602 times
Quote:
Cannot support their NBA team??? Are you delusional??? The Spurs continue to sellout home games on a consistent basis for decades now. If they did not the team would have been relocated years ago. And I am sorry but this is not Europe or Latin America so soccer will never work here. Try being in a German soccer riot. I have never felt so alive! SA Soccer=ZZZZZZ.
they get near sell outs. but rarely total sell outs.
they avg 13th in attendance this year, 12th last year, 10th in 2010, 14th in 2009, 13th in 2008..
good numbers but not total sell outs.

sell out every home game first, then sell standing room only, then worry about getting more sports.

for now, enjoy what you have and enjoy your second rate soccer team

Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthatsneato View Post
they avg 13th in attendance this year, 12th last year, 10th in 2010, 14th in 2009, 13th in 2008..

sell out every home game first, then sell standing room only, then worry about getting more sports.

they sold out less then half the games last year which hurts them alot, which sucks considering they are ranked as best bang for the buck. the team is old and pop refuses to go after an entertainer aka someone who will put people in seats

Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Not sure if you were here when they played in the Hemisfair Arena. They had to raise the roof, literally, to accomodate fans. Then went to the awful Alamodome, now ATT. The NBA is all about dollars and if SA was ever in jeopardy of losing the Spurs it would have happened along time ago. If you wanna talk about low attendance in the NBA look at current teams such as MN, Charlotte, Sacramento, etc. I think Pop knows what he is doing despite what the media tells us.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you were here when they played in the Hemisfair Arena. They had to raise the roof, literally, to accomodate fans. Then went to the awful Alamodome, now ATT. The NBA is all about dollars and if SA was ever in jeopardy of losing the Spurs it would have happened along time ago. If you wanna talk about low attendance in the NBA look at current teams such as MN, Charlotte, Sacramento, etc. I think Pop knows what he is doing despite what the media tells us.
i think pop is a good president/gm, but a bad coach. when it comes to crunch time he gets lost.

i love the att center hands over fist one of favorites. its kind of corny the things they do, but its very family which is a good thing.

now i do hate sitting in the lower seats (im to tall) but that would be my only complaint

Old 02-04-2012, 04:14 AM

501 posts, read 853,923 times
Quote:

In what world does having a NFL team or being evalutated as an NFL team worthy city require you to sell out venues for other pro sports?

I mean, the Bobcats haven't been able to get the bottom bowl filled in their arena for years. I guess the NFL needs to take away their team.

Hell, their team wasn't selling out for the Hornets when Charlotte was granted an NFL franchise.

Take away the Texans too? The Rockets can't draw in the 6th largest metro area in the country.

Oh oh, the Nuggets (one of the most exciting teams this year, with one of the best records) is averging less than 17,000 in Denver. Better get those Broncos out of their.

Pistons used to lead the league in attendance a few years ago, now they're dead last. Better remove the Lions for their sports landscape.

Spurs have consistently had high attendance for over a decade. Have consistently had some of the highest ratings year in and year out when it comes local broadcasts league wide and consistently high merch sales. But I'll let you pretend selling out arenas is what gets you additional sports teams.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
The NFL will NEVER come to San Antonio.

Reasons?

1. San Antonio is beyond dirt poor.
2. San Antonio is Cowboys country.
3. San Antonio will not pay for a NFL stadium.(The Alamodome is now a joke and will never be used to play any NFL games.)
Well, just saw this post. Now I get the other one I just quoted.

I'd like to dissect your post one through three.

1. San Antonio is beyond dirt poor.

You seemed to back that one up with hard evidence.

Well, now that we know you didn't. Let me have a crack at providing some 2010 and beyond data.

Let's see...

The fact is, it takes an income base of 71 billion dollars to be able to support both the NBA and NFL per the Business Journal in 2011.

In 2010, San Antonio's total personal income was 78 billion. When subtracting the income cost of the NBA (34 billion) that leaves the API (available personal income) for San Antonio at 44 billion dollars. Now, the TPI required for an NFL team is 37 billion dollars.

Meaning, with 44 billion dollars left, there is more than enough for an NFL team.

I think that's enough for this issue. I mean I can attack that claim for all sorts of other angles but this one's enough.

You can continue to use all the hyperbole you want but if it makes you feel better about yourself but next time it would be wiser to use facts.

2. San Antonio is Cowboys country.

Now this one, I can only use my own opinion. San Antonio does have its share of Cowboy fans, but only because it has no team of its own to be a fan of.

OKC was considered a Mavs market, not as die hard in relation to SA and the Cowboys but a Mavs market none the less.

What happened when the Sonics relocated and were renamed the Oklahome City Thunder? Exactly.

The same thing that will happen if/when an NFL team comes here.

3. San Antonio will not pay for a NFL stadium.

I heard this same line of thinking in 1999 when the Spurs wanted a new arena. People shouted that it wouldn't happen, that voters would say no because of the failure that was the Alamodome.

13 years later, the Spurs play at the at&t center and that same train of thought seems to exist.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that if a similar "build it and they will come" vote would pass, in order for any vote for stadium funding to pass, a team would have to be playing in the Dome or the NFL would have to ensure SA that they would grant the city an expansion team.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Why would the NFL create or move a team to San Antonio and have them play in a stadium that is nearly 20 years old and grossly outdated?
It will not happen.

If San Antonio wants the NFL, then the city will have to build a new stadium.

And that will NEVER get approved on a bond. NEVER.

San Antonio wont even pass a bond for a light rail, which is needed much more than the NFL.

NFL in San Antonio will NEVER, EVER happen.

And for that I am thankful.

The last thing this city needs is another reason to drink.
I like quoting and responding to your posts because you seem to think it's still the year 2000.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
i think pop is a good president/gm, but a bad coach. when it comes to crunch time he gets lost.

i love the att center hands over fist one of favorites. its kind of corny the things they do, but its very family which is a good thing.

now i do hate sitting in the lower seats (im to tall) but that would be my only complaint
Agreed on the seats. I am six foot one inch and it is virtually impossible to fit into those lower level seats and be comfortable. Last game I attended a rather portly fellow sat next to me. Ruined it for me b/c I was smushed the whole game. When I buy tickets I always look for aisle seats so I can stretch out. And amen to the last three posts. AGREED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio