Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post

3. San Antonio will not pay for a NFL stadium.

I heard this same line of thinking in 1999 when the Spurs wanted a new arena. People shouted that it wouldn't happen, that voters would say no because of the failure that was the Alamodome.

13 years later, the Spurs play at the at&t center and that same train of thought seems to exist.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that if a similar "build it and they will come" vote would pass, in order for any vote for stadium funding to pass, a team would have to be playing in the Dome or the NFL would have to ensure SA that they would grant the city an expansion team.
The problem here should be obvious to all right?
It's not 1999, it's 2012 and money is a lot tighter everywhere right?
It's hard to get people to go for spending money on a stadium in the first place but to try it in this economy is probably darn near impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 64,570 times
San Antonio is just too poor and too small to be an NFL city.

San Antonio needs to stick with soccer and enjoy winning some basketball games before the spurs head back to the lottery.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM

501 posts, read 949,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthatsneato View Post
San Antonio is just too poor and too small to be an NFL city.
Now you're just trying to get a rise out of people. It's one thing to say this in ignorance, it's another to be given fact or to be knowledgeable to said facts and then still post that.

SA isn't "too poor."

Larger TPI than 10 current NFL markets.

SA isn't "too small."

Larger metro population than many current NFL markets.

Quote:
San Antonio needs to stick with soccer and enjoy winning some basketball games before the spurs head back to the lottery.
Yeah, we get it. You've made this same tiresome point multiple times in this thread.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM

102 posts, read 188,195 times
2010 Metro Area Populations:

San Antonio..... 2,172,508

NFL cities with SMALLER metro populations (in order)

Cincinnati..... 2,130,151
Cleveland..... 2,077,240
Kansas City..... 2,035,334
Charlotte..... 1,758,038
Indianapolis..... 1,756,241
Nashville..... 1,589,934
Jacksonville..... 1,345,596
New Orleans..... 1,167,764
Buffalo..... 1,135,509
Green Bay..... 306,241

Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM

161 posts, read 330,784 times
I think any NFL team coming here would demand a new stadium. As a San Antonian, I wouldn't think of building anything until they sign on the dotted line and a team was on the move. They would have to play in the Alamodome for a few years until the new stadium was built. That would be my ideal conditions.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsofa04 View Post
I think any NFL team coming here would demand a new stadium. As a San Antonian, I wouldn't think of building anything until they sign on the dotted line and a team was on the move. They would have to play in the Alamodome for a few years until the new stadium was built. That would be my ideal conditions.
You hit the nail right on the head. Under no circumstances should the city or county initiate any drive for a new Dome in the future unless and until an NFL franchise commits to moving here or, the city is awarded an expansion team. But, after that commitment is made the city/county should go all the way and fund and build a first class facility for the team. Similar to the Jerry Jones Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium. In other words, spare no expanse so we don't end up with another substandard Dome.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger2678 View Post
2010 Metro Area Populations:

San Antonio..... 2,172,508

NFL cities with SMALLER metro populations (in order)

Cincinnati..... 2,130,151
Cleveland..... 2,077,240
Kansas City..... 2,035,334
Charlotte..... 1,758,038
Indianapolis..... 1,756,241
Nashville..... 1,589,934
Jacksonville..... 1,345,596
New Orleans..... 1,167,764
Buffalo..... 1,135,509
Green Bay..... 306,241
Your point is well made. Being larger than all of those communities and being the 36th DMA market has not been what's kept San Antonio out of the NFL. That's obvious. So what other force has worked against the city to keep it out of the league? Take a wild guess. If you're like me you'll conclude it's been the politicking of Jerry Jones and Bob McNair that has kept San Antonio from enjoying its own NFL club.

Since having a third NFL team in Texas would directly siphon away a huge number of fans from their respective franchises, it is in the best interest of Jones and McNair to work against and quash any effort to bring the NFL to San Antonio. Having said this I am still convinced that San Antonio will be granted its own NFL franchise based partly on the numbers you present in your post. San Antonio is a vibrant, fast-growing, and prosperous community now and will continue to be so for quite sometime. As a result the league will eventually take notice of this and place a team here. It's only a matter of time.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,245 times
I have been saying this for years!!! Jerry Jones needs to ride off into the sunset if you know what I mean. Ever since he got rid of Jimmy Johnson I cannot stand him. And I didn't realize Green Bay was that small. Geez what is the NFL waiting for on SA?!?!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM

501 posts, read 949,090 times
Jerry Jones isn't keeping anything from happening. Where this idea that he wields this power over NFL owners is baffling.

If a team is granted to SA or an owner moves one here, a new stadium would get built, I can guarantee it.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthatsneato View Post
This is great news! San Antonio can not even support their NBA team so there is absolutely no reason to get another pro team right now.
Besides, San Antonio just got a soccer team. Go out and enjoy your Soccer, San Antonio.
You are wrong on both counts. It is not great news that San Antonio will not be getting an expansion NFL franchise anytime soon. And secondly soccer will never succeed in this country as a major pro sport. The main reason for that is that it is a terrible spectator sport. I've seen pro soccer in person and on television and it's horribly boring to watch. The only sporting events that I can think of that are equally as boring are PGA Golf and the Pro Bowlers Tour.

NFL football will enjoy great success in San Antonio like it does everywhere else it is featured because it is just plain fun to watch. It's thrilling, suspenseful and very exciting. Especially close games. So just watch tonight as the nation shuts down for yet another great Superbowl game and behold the greatness that is the NFL in all of its power and glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio