Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times

Advertisements

Just promise me if we get a team y'all will quit worshipping the Cowboys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Just promise me if we get a team y'all will quit worshipping the Cowboys.
I don't worship the Dallas Cowboys that's for sure. In fact I despise the team and especially its pompous, over the top owner. I'm fairly certain people around here will adopt the NFL and MLB teams that will eventually be coming to town. But you're right San Antonio will become a top 25 metro area in just a few years if current trends continue.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
...But you're right San Antonio will become a top 25 metro area in just a few years if current trends continue.
So your hope to get an NFL team in San Antonio hangs on 1 million broken condoms?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM

927 posts, read 1,383,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
So your hope to get an NFL team in San Antonio hangs on 1 million broken condoms?
What are you talking about man? What is this comment of yours supposed to mean? Have you ever said anything positive or constructive on this board? It's comments like this that make me wish you would go away.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Okay...here comes the hate mail.....

Personally, I don't care if we EVER get a pro sports team of any kind. Having looked at the various cities that DO have 'em over the years, it appears to me that they tend to suck more resources out of a community than they give - both in terms of hard dollars and less direct ways.

Look at it - these are multi-million (or even approaching a billion for a few teams) operations that require their "home" city to pay for their venue, cough up all kinds of concessions....and for what? A bunch of priveleged, ungrateful, and overpaid athletes that run onto the playing surface and play....if they feel "motivated". I can remember players fighting to get the last inch on a play, where giving anything less than 110% was simply unacceptable - and today, watch - you'll see players decide that the play is "over" even though there's no whistle, and stop trying to do the job......and that's the core of the issue right there. It's no longer a game - it's a business.

Most of the players now look at it as a paycheck, not a game they love to play and, look - we get MONEY to have fun!!! Sorry....I'd rather use the money that the team sucks out of MY community towards other things that benefit more folks...or simply in my own pocket.

Got my body armour on - go ahead, take your shots!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:32 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,931,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay...here comes the hate mail.....

Personally, I don't care if we EVER get a pro sports team of any kind. Having looked at the various cities that DO have 'em over the years, it appears to me that they tend to suck more resources out of a community than they give - both in terms of hard dollars and less direct ways.

Look at it - these are multi-million (or even approaching a billion for a few teams) operations that require their "home" city to pay for their venue, cough up all kinds of concessions....and for what? A bunch of priveleged, ungrateful, and overpaid athletes that run onto the playing surface and play....if they feel "motivated". I can remember players fighting to get the last inch on a play, where giving anything less than 110% was simply unacceptable - and today, watch - you'll see players decide that the play is "over" even though there's no whistle, and stop trying to do the job......and that's the core of the issue right there. It's no longer a game - it's a business.

Most of the players now look at it as a paycheck, not a game they love to play and, look - we get MONEY to have fun!!! Sorry....I'd rather use the money that the team sucks out of MY community towards other things that benefit more folks...or simply in my own pocket.

Got my body armour on - go ahead, take your shots!
To attend a game at that giant spaceship stadium in Arlington costs an arm and a leg. Parking alone is almost too expensive unless you want to park a mile away and walk. In this particular case, you are spot on.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
What are you talking about man? What is this comment of yours supposed to mean?
Yeah, what are you talking about? We all know that people don't use condoms in this city!

I hope one day we do get a football team, and I cast one vote for the Saints!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM

399 posts, read 1,135,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Charlotte ans especially Nashville are quite a ways down the list from SA (although if you were limiting your list to NFL markets, then that's about right, although I would also add Cleveland.)

Metros within 250,000 population of SA:

23 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA - 2,241,841
24 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN - 2,171,896
25 Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville, CA - 2,127,355
26 Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH MSA - 2,091,286
27 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL - 2,082,421
28 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX MSA - 2,072,128
29 Kansas City, MO-KS MSA - 2,067,585
30 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV MSA - 1,902,834
31 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA - 1,839,700
The rankings that matter to sports leagues are television market rankings. Even the metro ranking you show isn't representative of tv market size. Below are the rankings of some key cities near SA:

20 - Sacramento (no NFL team)
19 - Orlando (no NFL team)
22 - Portland, OR (no NFL team)
24 Charlotte
26 - Raleigh-Durham (no NFL team)
29 - Nashville
30 - Hartford, NT (no NFL team)
31 - Salt Lake City (no NFL team)
34 - Columbus, OH (no NFL team)
36 - Greenville/Ashville, NC (no NFL team)
37 - San Antonio (no NFL team)
42 - Las Vegas (no NFL team)
47 - Jacksonville
48 - Austin
51 - New Orleans
52 - Buffalo
70 - Green Bay

Given this info, there are several cities above us in the pecking order. With that said, I think our city leaders should target one of the existing smaller market NFL teams before someone else does. New Orleans didn't work, Buffalo won't be moving, and neither will Green Bay. That leaves us with Jacksonville, they are hurting, not selling out, and experiencing apathy in their home town. I think they are a prime target for relocation.

Mayor Castro - Are you reading this?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,979 times
I despise these "we need an NFL team" threads. This is a Dallas Cowboys town and always will be.
Have you been to HEB on a day when the Cowboys are playing? There are people wearing Cowboys shirts and hats everywhere, stocking up for the game. Have you been to a Dallas Cowboys practice here in town? They're full of fans.
We will not support another team, it would be a waste of time.

Baseball, people...that's where it's at. We need a MLB team.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,162,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Baseball, people...that's where it's at. We need a MLB team.
Except that baseball plays 81 home games a year, including many on weekday afternoons. Although I think SA would have no problem selling-out eight NFL home games a year, sadly I think it would have a hard time even getting a critical mass of fans regularly for MLB baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio