Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM

115 posts, read 279,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I'm ok with disagreement, only time will tell who is "more" right. Let me ask you this though. What do you consider success? Competing with SFA, UH, UTEP? I see all of these as pretty far away. I compare UTSA to UH on a much smaller level. The things UH has going for it that UTSA doesn't?

• Flagship of UH system
  • Decades of athletic history
  • Full athletic facilities
  • Huge alumni base
  • Location near downtown Houston
  • Houston has largest corporate base behind NYC
UTSA doesn't have any of these going for it. I just don't see how UTSA could get to the level you hope for. Maybe UTSA should pattern itself after UCF, that's a good model for a new school. And it's had a DI football team since 1996. I can't imagine a faster ascension into competitive football than that. And that is still a C-USA school, not a big time program like TAMU and Texas.
There will be another flagship in Texas soon. All I'm saying is that the city should be helping UTSA try to be that university, not pursuing the NFL. The things you listed about U of H are the very reasons it should be a much better university. UTSA can shoot right past U of H if the city and business leaders open their eyes and see what is possible for UTSA and San Antonio. The NFL will come knocking when you have everything in place, there is no need to go out of the way to prove yourself to them.

Last edited by Big A; 10-22-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Just say No!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
I agree that the amount of taxpayer subsidy that goes to pro sports, only to have them charge an unbelieveable amount for tickets is ridiculous.

Still, I hear that in San Antonio, not as much of local taxpayer monies have been spent on improved facilities -- a lot has been from the increased hotel taxes. Anyone know if this is true?
I couldn't say, but still hotel taxes are better spent elsewhere!!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Default Nfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
There will be another flagship in Texas soon. All I'm saying is that the city should be helping UTSA try to be that university, not pursuing the NFL. The things you listed about U of H are the very reasons it should be a much better university. UTSA can shoot right past U of H if the city and business leaders open their eyes and see what is possible for UTSA and San Antonio. The NFL will come knocking when you have everything in place, there is no need to go out of the way to prove yourself to them.
That's not necessarily true. The NFL does not normally beat the doors down of cities to place franchises there. More often than not it is aggressive city leaders that persuade team owners to relocate their franchises to their respective communities. In the case of San Antonio we are lucky to have a mayor, county judge and now even a governor that are all on the same page as far as seeking a franchise for the city.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 PM

115 posts, read 279,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
That's not necessarily true. The NFL does not normally beat the doors down of cities to place franchises there. More often than not it is aggressive city leaders that persuade team owners to relocate their franchises to their respective communities. In the case of San Antonio we are lucky to have a mayor, county judge and now even a governor that are all on the same page as far as seeking a franchise for the city.
Yea, city leaders that would have to promise a billion dollar tax funded stadium. They should take that same energy and put it into trying to make UTSA a Tier 1 flagship university. The ripple effect would be priceless for SA as far as big business and jobs, which is the only thing thats going to bring the NFL here anyway. The bottom line is that without more big companies and better paying jobs, the NFL will not come to SA.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
Spanish themes yes for other stuff but not named sports teams. Silverstars, Rampage, Spurs are not spanish themes. The missions are the only one but not major league.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Well, if SA ever gets a team - it will be due to another team moving. Talent is getting diluted enough with 32 teams that I wouldn't want to see 34 teams (they always come in 2's). I think the Saints in N.O. are pretty much doomed. They now have the smallest market with damaged goods for a stadium (with more damage/calamity assuredly around the corner, due to the nature of hurricanes). That town is quickly becoming a federal/state/business/charity and NFL money pit. But will they come to SA as opposed to LA?? That is the question. At this point - the Alamodome and the SA metroplex would provide better income to the team & the NFL than it would staying in N'Arlins. I would like to see a Green Bay approach to an NFL team in SA as well. Texas = football and SA can support a team IMO.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 AM

55 posts, read 165,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
As long as the other NFL owners have a say so in the selection process, we will never have a team here. Who thinks that Jerry Jones would vote "yes" to having any of his dollar base be eroded away by putting another team in Texas? Plus, SA doesn't have the money base to support it. I love football, but I don't ever see SA having a team. Period.

I have always said this.....Jerry jones would "NOT" let this happen. We are prepared and it should happen though. We can finally get away from the bandwagon Cowboys.....I hate seing those damn stars all over the city.....it's awful!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
I have always said this.....Jerry jones would "NOT" let this happen. We are prepared and it should happen though. We can finally get away from the bandwagon Cowboys.....I hate seing those damn stars all over the city.....it's awful!!!
I couldn't agree more. This city has no claim to a Dallas team, we need our own. The fact that the "fans" are so rabid is merely a result of no local option. Unless you're from Dallas, don't be so overzealous. Longhorn and Cowboy t-shirt fans, I can't stand 'em. Unless you or an immediate family member is from Dallas or went to the 40 acres, give it up, they're not "your" team.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I agree. These days, the only way to reel in a major league sports franchise is to sweeten the pot with capital expenditures and tax breaks. The Alamodome is not up to NFL standards anymore and it will require millions and millions of dollars worth of improvements to make it suitable for an NFL team. I'd rather see those millions be plowed into the city than into the Alamodome.
amen. The players, agents, owners, will take all our money and spend it elsewhere.

If we want sports, we need to support our college football teams. At least that money will stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio