Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,186 times

Advertisements

New to the forum, and new to the city! Love it so far. Having a hard time pluggin into the 20 somethings scene here because I'm taking a semester off from school (registered at UTSA too late). Hopefully this helps Glad to be a part of your city now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM

39 posts, read 107,286 times
just depends on what you like and more importantly what you are looking for. A lot of the decent clubs in 210 that used to be worth a damn have gone ghetto because they lower their dress codes and dont charge covers. But the 1604/ stone oak area still holds some decent standards and decent looking woman/girls. Like I said if you just want a regular no dress code spot theres places off of broadway and 410 that are still kinda decent. But if dress to impress is what youre in for bar 11 is one of the ones thats on its downfall so try spots like swigs and dulche. but please please please stay away from spots like antro and grahms.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyT View Post
just depends on what you like and more importantly what you are looking for. A lot of the decent clubs in 210 that used to be worth a damn have gone ghetto because they lower their dress codes and dont charge covers.
Oh god, there we go again, misusing the word ghetto.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
lemonfresh, it's just slang. Nothing to get up in arms about.

StarScream, don't judge this forum based on a lack of response on a Friday evening through Saturday evening - people are busy.

I can't help you with the single 20-something scene, but I do hope you'll find San Antonio fun and welcoming.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM

322 posts, read 774,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyT View Post
just depends on what you like and more importantly what you are looking for. A lot of the decent clubs in 210 that used to be worth a damn have gone ghetto because they lower their dress codes and dont charge covers. But the 1604/ stone oak area still holds some decent standards and decent looking woman/girls. Like I said if you just want a regular no dress code spot theres places off of broadway and 410 that are still kinda decent. But if dress to impress is what youre in for bar 11 is one of the ones thats on its downfall so try spots like swigs and dulche. but please please please stay away from spots like antro and grahms.
Definitely depends on what you're looking for. Yep, Stone Oak outside 1604 is still a pretty nice area. There a bunch of bars, clubs, "ultra lounges" (whatever those are) up there. dannyT is right, clubs around here are "nice" for a year or two and then it seems like it's all down hill from there (read GHETTO ). I'd probably read the police blotter before I'd venture out and make sure the club you're headed to hasn't made the news lately

The Cove is a popular spot on weekends. It's down near San Antonio College. Stonewerks in the Quarry, Flying Saucer @ Huener, any Starbucks.. movie theaters are crazy popular but probably for a younger than 20-something crowd -- but I know a bunch of people who are 30 and still want to see a movie @ 1am when it premieres

Check out 10best.com, sanantonio.citysearch.com, the weekender in the paper, the sa current always has a current events schedule. First Friday is popular with 20-somethings..

I'm trying to think of more places but I'm too lame to go out

Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 PM

39 posts, read 107,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Oh god, there we go again, misusing the word ghetto.

I had to hook you up with some extra rep for trying to make the geto less that what it is.

I mean who knew it came from the Jews?

"The term "ghetto" originated from the name of the Jewish quarter in Venice, established in 1516"

Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
1. Swig
2. Swig North
3. Pat O'Brien s
4. Dolce
5. Bar 11
6. Cross Eyed Seagull (older crowd)
7. Limelite
8. Crabby Jacks (younger crowd that some how drinks)
9. The Pointe
10. Howl at the Moon

In no particular order ^^^

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 PM

437 posts, read 638,546 times
^^ been to most of those. That's a pretty good list

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
heres my top list since i go out to somewhat good places.

1. metro (downtown)
2. duo (stone oak)
3. espana (thurs nights)
4. cielito (stone oak)
5. rev room (broadway, fri nights)
6. posh (broadway)
7. the falls (bitters)
8. club mink (bitters, place is ridic expensive, i don't recommend it)
9. limelight (thurs nights, lots of scene kids though)
10.dolce
11.swig north
12.luz (stone oak)

other chill places
-bostons (1604/hausman)
-cross eyed
-sherlocks
-new york bar

Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Most of the responses above fall into the vein of the "lounge" and "dress to impress" types of places. Just in case you'd like an alternative to that type of scene, you may want to check out some of the places mentioned/linked to in this post that Juneof48 put up recently. I happen to live on the same street as WebHouse and it is indeed a cool place to hang out. You might also like Limelight and Cafe Latino (both within a block or two from WebHouse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
This thread might be against the terms of the site (I don't think so!), but here it goes. . . .

There's so much talk about the "diversity" of San Antonio and its population, but pictures can capture it quite nicely. Here are two public photo sites/blogs that capture a different side of the city: youth culture, subculture, street life, etc.

hotmess social photography

This new blog mainly features the places and faces that populate the Tobin Hill area, especially along N. Saint Mary's. (Might see JuneOf48 on here someday!)

Flickr: Erik J. Gustafson's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emoneytg - broken link)

This is the flickr page for Money Shot Photography (aka Eric Gustafson--a truly gifted photographer). He has hundreds of pictures, almost entirely from SA. Check out the albums on the right entitled "Portfolio," "Explore," "San Antonio Streets," and others.

And check on both of them regularly--they're constantly updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: