Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 62,886 times

Advertisements

We may have a job opportunity in SA and would move from Charlotte, NC. We came to Charlotte from France six months ago and just love it here. Would hate to move, but will do for work! We would probably live somewhere in the NW part of town. Is this a good place to raise a family? What are some things you love best about SA? I would be a SAHM. Are there fun things to do for preschoolers? Any info will be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathy View Post
We may have a job opportunity in SA and would move from Charlotte, NC. We came to Charlotte from France six months ago and just love it here. Would hate to move, but will do for work! We would probably live somewhere in the NW part of town. Is this a good place to raise a family? What are some things you love best about SA? I would be a SAHM. Are there fun things to do for preschoolers? Any info will be useful.
Depends on what you like.

SA is a big mix of all sorts of people, some legal and others not.

Some gay and some not.

Some friendly and some not.

Good mexican food, good weather(if you like the sun), and generally fun.

Lots of bars, restaurants, as well as theme parks.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Sea World are here. Sea World is on the west side of town so if you lived on the NW side, you'd most likely be within 30 min. of there.

I think the schools here are typically good and overall I see it as an good place to live and raise a family.

But then again, I am a single guy that has never been married so I am enjoying my time in players paradise.

-n0vemberHAWK

Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
Northwest Side is definitely good. A general rule is the further south you go, the worse off it is. Nothing's crime-ridden or anything like that though.

I've lived in the Midwest and Northeast, and Texas is far different from both. The things that most surprised me are the large Hispanic population (I think there's more Mexicans than whites), the different plants (unfortunately, San Antonio is not as green as where you are now), and the different architecture.

The positives are it's a very relaxed lifestyle, lots of nature opportunities, and things are very cheap. The negatives are sometimes the place looks a little boxy and has a cheap feel... not surprising, since it IS cheap.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
The things that most surprised me are the large Hispanic population (I think there's more Mexicans than whites)
There's a difference between hispanic and Mexican.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 PM

San Antonio is a wonderful city to live in as well as raise children.

Give these threads a look-see.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...sence-san.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...antonio-2.html

Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
There's a difference between hispanic and Mexican.
Yes, but Mexicans are Hispanics. See the linked article below for more info. It sounds like you think I said something that was incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

(As I hope everyone knows, the converse is not necessarily true)

Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times
In some areas(NOT SAN ANTONIO) a person of Hispanic decent will take offense to being called a 'Mexican'.

In San Antonio and South Texas, those types are few and far between.

Hispanic, Mexican - whatever term you use down here all means the same thing.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
Yes, but Mexicans are Hispanics. See the linked article below for more info. It sounds like you think I said something that was incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

(As I hope everyone knows, the converse is not necessarily true)
No, I mean't a hispanic person isn't necessaryly Mexican.

The "Mexican" population in SA is somewhere between 60,000 and 70,000.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
In some areas(NOT SAN ANTONIO) a person of Hispanic decent will take offense to being called a 'Mexican'.
I think anyone would take offense to being called something they're not simply because of their skin color or surname.

Quote:
In San Antonio and South Texas, those types are few and far between.

Hispanic, Mexican - whatever term you use down here all means the same thing.
This includes Dallas and Houston as well.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Lots of fun stuff for preschoolers to do here. Have two boys 4 and 7 that have been raised here so we found lots of stuff. Both boys love Six Flags during the summer. I would say as young as 3 enjoys it loads of kiddie rides (more than Sea World) that start of at about 36 inches my boys loves all that and they have a good train that goes around the park. Sea World is great for shows but both boys are too wiggly to sit unless cotton candy is involved! The waterparks at both 6 flags and Sea World have good kiddie areas. The zoo is a fav and it has a 20 min little train ride that my younger son has to do every month to get his train fix. Zoo is pretty fun also, lots of birds at it. Lots of gyms for open kiddie play in the mornings for around $5 a visit. Austin is a short drive away and thats always fun to go to. Both 210 and Hawk are single so a bit bored here but SA is very very family friendly and while it lacks some things it makes up in others. Coming from France and NC you are going to be in for a shock because the culture in SA is not mainstream american if there is such a thing we have a strong latin vibe going on but I have never had a problem with it at all!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio