Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
RTL RTL started this thread

2 posts, read 6,282 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please help?! My husband and I moved here about 2 years ago and have 2 young children. One will be starting kindergarten and the other is in 2nd grade. We currently live in Alamo Heights and are considering moving to the Oak Glen Pk/Castle Hills Area. We'd always heard so many wonderful things about AH and do love our neighborhood but are concerned w/the lack of diversity here. The Oak Glen Pk/Castle Hills area looks nice enough, quiet, older people BUT I am so worried about the new school. We are wanting to move b/c we've found a much larger house for the $ but more importantly, we are wanting to be in a school district where there is more diversity. I am just so afraid of going the opposite way!!! Does anyone know if Castle Hills Elementary school is a "desirable" school? Thanks so much for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM

554 posts, read 2,308,543 times
I definitely think that you are making a move in the right direction. CHE won't be as diverse as some of the other schools in NEISD in the area - like Larkspur or Harmony Hills. But more than the AH schools and the NEISD schools farther north.

We live in that neighborhood and LOVE it. It's so nice and peaceful.

One thing, too, is that I think that your children will be exposed to more diversity just by going to to the HEB or McDonald's...you know? Plus, Eisenhower and Churchill are both schools with a good mix of ethnicities and socio-economic classes, but are still safe, good schools.

Good luck! If you have any other questions about the 'hood just message me and I'm happy to help! I'm kinda curious as to which home you're buying - there have been so few for sale!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Forgot to add - CHE is a desirable school, academically as well. It attracts great teachers and has a very good reputation in the district.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 AM

546 posts, read 3,106,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL View Post
Can anyone please help?! My husband and I moved here about 2 years ago and have 2 young children. One will be starting kindergarten and the other is in 2nd grade. We currently live in Alamo Heights and are considering moving to the Oak Glen Pk/Castle Hills Area. We'd always heard so many wonderful things about AH and do love our neighborhood but are concerned w/the lack of diversity here. The Oak Glen Pk/Castle Hills area looks nice enough, quiet, older people BUT I am so worried about the new school. We are wanting to move b/c we've found a much larger house for the $ but more importantly, we are wanting to be in a school district where there is more diversity. I am just so afraid of going the opposite way!!! Does anyone know if Castle Hills Elementary school is a "desirable" school? Thanks so much for any information.

I know this is far off, but I would definately consider the high schools in that area if you plan on staying indefinately. Depending on the divinding line, it's either Churchill or Lee. Lee was a nightmare in the late 80's when I was there, and now I hear it's far worse. Churchill i'm not too sure about - it had a much better reputation when I was at Lee 100 years ago. But alas, things change, and it may be bad news these days. It's worth investigating though, and yeah, there is a lack of diversity in AH, for sure, but at least your kids are safe and won't get beat up every other day.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM

That subdivision is currently in the Churchill boundary.

Lee is a "rougher" school.

Churchill is a great school - great music and athletic programs. It's buildings have been rennovated and added to quite extensively over the last decade. Excellent teachers and academic reputation. It is a more diverse school than Reagan or than I anticipate the new NEISD high school being, but this, to me, is something that is positive and works to Churchill's favor.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
My oldest son graduated from Churchill in 05 and that was a great school for him. The NEISD teachers stayed on his butt for the entire 4 years, when he had been virtually ignored for the previous years at another district. He didn't like it, but I sure did! My youngest went to Huebner Elementary first--I didn't fit in there--lots of stay-at-home moms that live at the gym!--but then transferred to Harmony Hills. HH is an awesome school! He loved getting up every day for school! We have since moved over to the Northwest area and he's in NISD. They have been exceptionally good so far. He has a really good team of teachers that keep me informed and are always available for communication. Other than the teaching of the TAKS test like every other district, I have no complaints. I know you are asking about CHE, and I don't really know about that school, I just thought that if HH was affordable (the neighborhood), I think you would be really happy there. There are lots of young families moving in and updating those homes.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,075,091 times
What is Castle Hills Forest like?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
RTL RTL started this thread

2 posts, read 6,282 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your help.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 PM

944 posts, read 3,064,773 times
For those suggesting schools with diversity, I think it might help RTL to know what you mean by "diversity." From my experience, people in San Antonio point out the presence of Hispanics and Whites as representative of "diversity." From my experience, diversity is black, white (including Polish, Swedish, German, Irish), East Indian, Middle Eastern, and Pacific Islander groups. This is the diversity that you find in most large cities. Is that the diversity people here are referring to?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 AM

37 posts, read 82,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
I definitely think that you are making a move in the right direction. CHE won't be as diverse as some of the other schools in NEISD in the area - like Larkspur or Harmony Hills. But more than the AH schools and the NEISD schools farther north.

We live in that neighborhood and LOVE it. It's so nice and peaceful.

One thing, too, is that I think that your children will be exposed to more diversity just by going to to the HEB or McDonald's...you know? Plus, Eisenhower and Churchill are both schools with a good mix of ethnicities and socio-economic classes, but are still safe, good schools.

Good luck! If you have any other questions about the 'hood just message me and I'm happy to help! I'm kinda curious as to which home you're buying - there have been so few for sale!
This is great... we plan to move back to San Antonio at some point in the next couple of years (my wife's from there, we're in our early thirties) and have looked extensively in the Castle Hills area... question: what's the commute time to/from downtown in the rush hours, and the best route to take?

Also, what's the (reverse commute) time to the north side of the city (outside 1604)... we don't know where we'll be working yet so we're trying to look at central locations.. and trying to consider places other than the pricy AH area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio