Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 AM

85 posts, read 278,533 times

Advertisements

I started this thread asking about the best Reagan-fed elementary schools for my three young daughters to start at and poster LemonFresh suggested Cibolo Canyons and Johnson High School on other side of 281.

I checked the schools and seems they are all "exemplary."

The only down side I see is, because of the capping of Tejeda Middle School, the potential for my daughters to have to go to Bush for three years with mostly Reagan-bound kids and then come back to the kids they went to elementary with when they start high school at Johnson.

I'm a mom who will never have my daughters on the bus so rerouting me across town some day is scary.

The traffic looks much lighter out to 35 with options like Evans Rd and Bulverde as well as 281.

Is there any reason why one would argue that Reagan is a better option?

Is it only a better option for someone working in downtown SA? Does Johnson have the $ resources to give the same student experience?

Driving around there this weekend, my first impression is it is lower income side with some of the same type of really high end subdivisions.

Thanks again locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Johnson just completed its first school year, so the jury is still out. I imagine its TAKS results will be made public soon. I've heard from parents whose kids go there that in its first year they felt it had all of the advantages of Reagan, with a smaller student population. I believe I already shared with you my very positive opinion of Tejeda MS, whose students will all go to Johnson.

The only negative thing I've heard is about traffic there, due to roads under construction when it opened and mud that resulted from drainage issues on the nearby streets. I don't get up that way very often so those are issues that may have improved by now.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
You do realize that there are schools inside 1604, even 410 that are rated exemplary? You don't have to worry about them being capped because the areas for the most part are built out. I say expand your search area.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Johnson just completed its first school year, so the jury is still out. I imagine its TAKS results will be made public soon. I've heard from parents whose kids go there that in its first year they felt it had all of the advantages of Reagan, with a smaller student population. I believe I already shared with you my very positive opinion of Tejeda MS, whose students will all go to Johnson.

The only negative thing I've heard is about traffic there, due to roads under construction when it opened and mud that resulted from drainage issues on the nearby streets. I don't get up that way very often so those are issues that may have improved by now.
Thanks for keeping up with me Bowie. Yes, Tejeda is appealing and makes me confident that Johnson will be at the top as well. My concern is that in 5 years when my daughter is in 6th grade, they will let her, and then her little sisters, in to the school vs shipping her over 281.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You do realize that there are schools inside 1604, even 410 that are rated exemplary? You don't have to worry about them being capped because the areas for the most part are built out. I say expand your search area.
I'm looking at the map at the bottom of this GreatSchools page. While there are a few highly rated elems just south of 1604, I don't see a string of top schools from K thru 12. We are going to try to get a half acre+ lot.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
As much as I pay in property tax to the NEISD all schools should be exemplary. I think there is a dividing line of what area of SA you live in if you go to Johnson or Reagan. I want be surprise if they have to build another high school in North Bexar/SW Comal county for the pop growth in these areas.
I really think SA reas has too many ISD and should merge some redundant service to save TP moeny and increase the buying power to give our students the best of the best

Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC3 View Post
I'm looking at the map at the bottom of this GreatSchools page. While there are a few highly rated elems just south of 1604, I don't see a string of top schools from K thru 12. We are going to try to get a half acre+ lot.
Have you considered the Brandeis High School? It's a newer school (just finished its first year as well), has amazing elementary schools and middle schools and I bet you can get a half acre lot in that area. Downtown is probably a 25-30 minute drive.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you considered the Brandeis High School? It's a newer school (just finished its first year as well), has amazing elementary schools and middle schools and I bet you can get a half acre lot in that area. Downtown is probably a 25-30 minute drive.
Looks like some potential there according to the map, but it's a little too far west. We need to be near the soccer fields East of 281 and husbands work near north side of 35.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC3 View Post
Thanks for keeping up with me Bowie. Yes, Tejeda is appealing and makes me confident that Johnson will be at the top as well. My concern is that in 5 years when my daughter is in 6th grade, they will let her, and then her little sisters, in to the school vs shipping her over 281.
In NEISD, capping only affects newcomers. If you already live in the attendance area, you won't be capped out. People who move into the attendance area once caps are in place will be making the long trek to other schools. Unless you're planning to wait 5 years to move there, you should be fine.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I really think SA reas has too many ISD and should merge some redundant service to save TP moeny and increase the buying power to give our students the best of the best
That notion made sense to me, too, until I started paying more attention to the messy situations in nearby districts. I won't elaborate to avoid taking the discussion in the direction of those messes, but trust me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio