U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM

118 posts, read 351,982 times

Advertisements

Currently, I am living in NJ with my children and grandchildren ages 5 to 12.
Next year we will leave NJ, is about time I am getting out of NJ. Still debating where to move to, perhaps NC or San Antonio.
The problem with moving to San Antonio would be the heat and the long drive from NJ to SA. Also will my Husky be okay with the heat, looking for land to build my home , how hard is to find land in SA. My daughter need to find a job, not me . I know close to SA is a big German area, I was born and raised in Germany came to America in 1982.I was married to an service man.
3 of my grandchildren are bi racial(white/black) the other 2 are white/purto rican I guess for them SA would be perfect but my other 3 would this be a problem.
I know I would love SA, to bad SA has no NFL team because I am a die hard sports fan. MY NFL team is in Florida, my NBA team is in Tx I am a die hard Spurs fan all my grandchildren are Spurs fan
GO SPURS GO
Please someone in here can answer my questions thank you

Last edited by daggi1; 06-13-2009 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: had to correct spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,538,942 times
Life in San Antonio is great!

Yeah, the heat is something you will have to get used to, but you should be able to acclimate. We actually moved here the first time from Germany (I was stationed there), but I was also born in Frankfurt and my mother is from Wurzburg. There is a lot of German history in this area.

It is also a very tolerant place. With the majority of its residents being Hispanic, and the large military community, your bi-racial grandchildren won't have any problems. It is something I honestly would not worry about.

It will take several days to drive here from Jersey, depending on how much and how long you drive. I've done the trip to Pennsylvania with two young kids and a dog when my wife's father passed away (she immediately flew up) and it is a long and demanding journey; but it can be done.

I have in-laws that live in Raleigh-Durham, and where it is a nice area I don't think it holds a candle to San Antonio. I grew up in Florida and don't miss the East Coast that much, Texas is so much better in my opinion.

Lastly, if you are a huge Spurs fan, then there really isn't any other place you can live now, is there?

Cheers! M2

Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,209,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggi1 View Post
Currently, I am living in NJ with my children and grandchildren ages 5 to 12.
Next year we will leave NJ, is about time I am getting out of NJ. Still debating where to move to, perhaps NC or San Antonio.
The problem with moving to San Antonio would be the heat and the long drive from NJ to SA. Also will my Husky be okay with the heat, looking for land to build my home , how hard is to find land in SA. My daughter need to find a job, not me . I know close to SA is a big German area, I was born and raised in Germany came to America in 1982.I was married to an service man.
3 of my grandchildren are bi racial(white/black) the other 2 are white/purto rican I guess for them SA would be perfect but my other 3 would this be a problem.
I know I would love SA, to bad SA has no NFL team because I am a die hard sports fan. MY NFL team is in Florida, my NBA team is in Tx I am a die hard Spurs fan all my grandchildren are Spurs fan
GO SPURS GO
Please someone in here can answer my questions thank you
I lived 35 years bouncing between NY and NJ. NYC/Central Jersey/Jersey Shore. The dog will have a rough time in this heat. I believe those dogs cannot be outside for very long around here. It's around 100 today and forecast to stay that way for at least the next week or so. It's a long, hot summer..starts to heat up in May ...cooling around Halloween. Decent amount of humidity too.
Any other questions regarding the transition from Jersey... just shoot 'em my way.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:53 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,257,741 times
daggi, there's actually a nice German-speaking community right here in San Antonio. Here's a link to the Beethoven Maennerchor: Beethoven Maennerchor, Inc.

The heat DEFINITELY takes getting used to and I suspect your doggle won't be able to stand being out for long in the summers.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Life in San Antonio is great!

Yeah, the heat is something you will have to get used to, but you should be able to acclimate. We actually moved here the first time from Germany (I was stationed there), but I was also born in Frankfurt and my mother is from Wurzburg. There is a lot of German history in this area.

It is also a very tolerant place. With the majority of its residents being Hispanic, and the large military community, your bi-racial grandchildren won't have any problems. It is something I honestly would not worry about.

It will take several days to drive here from Jersey, depending on how much and how long you drive. I've done the trip to Pennsylvania with two young kids and a dog when my wife's father passed away (she immediately flew up) and it is a long and demanding journey; but it can be done.

I have in-laws that live in Raleigh-Durham, and where it is a nice area I don't think it holds a candle to San Antonio. I grew up in Florida and don't miss the East Coast that much, Texas is so much better in my opinion.

Lastly, if you are a huge Spurs fan, then there really isn't any other place you can live now, is there?

Cheers! M2
thanks for all your input I was born in Mainz not to far from Frankfurt I know Raleigh, I would move outside winstom Salem, used to live in PA. Honstly right now I don't know still leaning more towards NC because off the heat and the long drive. Oh yes I am a die hard Spurs fan I would get a season pass .I have a lot to think about it this would be my last move an dis have to be right

Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I lived 35 years bouncing between NY and NJ. NYC/Central Jersey/Jersey Shore. The dog will have a rough time in this heat. I believe those dogs cannot be outside for very long around here. It's around 100 today and forecast to stay that way for at least the next week or so. It's a long, hot summer..starts to heat up in May ...cooling around Halloween. Decent amount of humidity too.
Any other questions regarding the transition from Jersey... just shoot 'em my way.
wow 100 degree this is hot. I live outside Fort Dix maybe you know the area, in 25 minutes I am in Seaside Heights. I know NJ and TX are completly different what kind of stores are in SA? Besides the Husky, I also have a Boxer and a Australian shepard so we talking about 3 dogs and I will not live them behind. Could I find land in SA to build a house ? How cold get is in the "winter time" I know no snow, I am fine with this, how about bad storms in SA. How different are the schools between NJ and SA. How high are the property taxes

Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
daggi, there's actually a nice German-speaking community right here in San Antonio. Here's a link to the Beethoven Maennerchor: Beethoven Maennerchor, Inc.

The heat DEFINITELY takes getting used to and I suspect your doggle won't be able to stand being out for long in the summers.
To bad I am disqualify to sing at the Beethoven Maennerchor, can't sing will never make it on the American Idol,2ND I am female og well to bad If I will move to SA the Husky have to stay alot inside the house. A lot to think about

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,973,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Hey fcf, what happened to this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/9175647-post2.html

To OP: You can still find some land (acreage?) to build a house on though land prices have been going up for awhile now. Overall, land is most expensive North/Northwest of San Antonio in the Hill Country. Your dog will be hot during the summer/early fall, but you can make sure it has shade and lots of water to drink. Also, a small kids pool might help.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggi1 View Post
wow 100 degree this is hot. I live outside Fort Dix maybe you know the area, in 25 minutes I am in Seaside Heights. I know NJ and TX are completly different what kind of stores are in SA? Besides the Husky, I also have a Boxer and a Australian shepard so we talking about 3 dogs and I will not live them behind. Could I find land in SA to build a house ? How cold get is in the "winter time" I know no snow, I am fine with this, how about bad storms in SA. How different are the schools between NJ and SA. How high are the property taxes
Of course Fort Dix. I've lived in Middlesex County, Monmouth County and Ocean County when in Jersey. Land is plentiful as you get further away from downtown. It'll mostly be in the 50's-60's during the day and 40's at night over the winter. We have snow...but it's rare and hasn't happened in a very long time...some years. It does drop down to the freezing mark (32) at night every once in a while.
I can't comment on the schools here vis a vis NJ just yet, as we have only a 2 year old.
Although the property tax rates are higher here (over 2%, depending on where you buy), the home values are much lower...so you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you are working, there are no state income taxes here either. The sales tax (over 8%) is higher than in NJ and they tax clothes here as well. Oh yeah... you'll need to pump your own gas too..Oregon/NJ are the exceptions.
I've lived here for 2 years after NY/NJ and San Diego..and I have to say that this is the windiest place that I've ever lived. Seems that there can be a lot of wind at times. I've seen a lot worse in my travels though. Strong thunderstorms every once in a while are normal...and it floods much quicker than in NJ. The ground is very hard here and the drainage not so good, from what I've seen.

Here you go: it's 93 degrees now, and 9:25 PM.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Hey fcf, what happened to this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/9175647-post2.html

To OP: You can still find some land (acreage?) to build a house on though land prices have been going up for awhile now. Overall, land is most expensive North/Northwest of San Antonio in the Hill Country. Your dog will be hot during the summer/early fall, but you can make sure it has shade and lots of water to drink. Also, a small kids pool might help.

Oh yeah...here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio