U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM

114,775 posts, read 59,602,366 times

Advertisements

The Trail for sure made it to the 80's !! Lived around it and the Mission all my life!! My best memories of the Mission were the spaghetti Westerns in the 70's. They ran all the Clint Eastwood Movies : Good the Bad and The Ugly, Fist Full of Dollars , For a Few Dollars More, Hang 'em High!! Maybe Two Mules for Sister Sara ...... Started as a single screen. It was Mission Twin most of the period I was going there. Then went to four screens. Saw them demolishing the original 2nd screen a couple weeks ago while at the San Jose Mission. I should be getting photos . Institute of Texan Cultures had a 1950 photo of the marquee showing The Milkman with Jimmy Durante and Tarzan with Johnny Weissmuller. Several milk trucks were parked in front of the marquee screen. Couldn't tell which local company!! ITC changed there online library site and I can't find that photo now!!

P.S I do hope the little pieces of work that caused them to close it down for good get what's coming to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM

172 posts, read 436,373 times
Thanks for the memories. I remember going there a lot as a kid.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,615,846 times
I remember seeing a double feature of Hell's Angel's movies with Sonny Barger, at the Mission. Dang....................good times!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM

18 posts, read 66,814 times
So then it's not going to re-open?! awwwww, I loved going there! such a shame.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Default Out Of Towners At The Mission Drive Inn

I was sitting around on surfing on my computer one night about five or six years ago thinking, "were there any of towns that still have drive inn movie", because here in Houston, Tx there were none.

I came across a website call [url=http://www.driveintheater.com/index.htm]Drive-In Theater[/url]
and this was a list of almost all the active and inactive Drive Inn movie theatre. This list the drive inn's by state and then by city. This is how I found the Mission Drive Inn.

My father and I went looking for it about a year later and we drove way south (20 miles) of Downtown San Antonio just to finally figure out that it was just on the south side of Downtown San Antonio.

Since, that time, my wife and I have been there 3 times. It is to bad the Mayor and the conservationist cannot keep historic places like this open. I know how you feel we lost Astroworld back in 2006 and to this day it is just open field were no fun takes places.

We will miss you Mission Drive Inn

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
I just came across this while researching the Mission 4 Drive-In. My question is this...does Santikos still own it or does the city of San Antonio? My reason for asking is, I am in the process of organizing a city-wide fundraiser to repair the damage & reopen the drive-in. My family and I will be adding a few things to the drive-in. We would like to also restore the snack bar back to it's original style. I need to know who to contact once we finish the fundraiser. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,320,806 times
The site is owned by the city and last I heard was the city was going to restore the original screen and marquee for showing movies from time to time.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM

841 posts, read 1,599,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
The site is owned by the city and last I heard was the city was going to restore the original screen and marquee for showing movies from time to time.

A new library is currently being constructed on the site: Mission Library

A playground and fitness trail will also be constructed.

I believe you are correct about the restoration of the screen and marquee, though I had not heard about the showing of movies there. It would be a great idea.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,320,806 times
According to Current magazine, the marquee is to be placed on the National Historic Register.

Here's an old article from WOAI about them showing movies once the restoration is complete.

Mission Drive-In comes crashing down | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

In my opinion, if this is the outcome of the place, then we are really fortunate. Considering all the other outdoor drive in theatres around town are either gone or such in bad shape they'll never return. The Mission theatre, although a different version than what most people remember, will still be around for years to come.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM

443 posts, read 859,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Except when the gangs to over some of them. The San Pedro had some real problems in the 70's.
Was this in an alternate universe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio