U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,061,141 times

Advertisements

The Mission Drive-In Theatre was built in 1948 by Louis and John Santikos. The name was later changed to Mission Twin in 1958. It is now Mission IV and remained in operation until 2007. Its address is 3100 Roosevelt Av.
In 2007, John Santikos sold the the drive-in theatre to the City of San Antonio. It was recently razed. They are going to keep the original screen marquee and return it to the 1960's.

I shot these snack bar and the projector photos in the 1980's.

I took the photos below in November of 2007, just after the annoucement that the theatre had been bought by the City.

So long old friend, we will miss you.

To see more drive-in theatres, please go to my photobucket page:

outdoor theatres :: Varsity Drive-In Theatre picture by jh1882 - Photobucket
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,062,558 times
I've lived on the southside most of my life and never made it there...

Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Did you get to any of the drive-ins? I use to go to them as I was growing up. I went to the Varsity a lot. I could walk in for 10 cents and sit in front of the snack bar. Took dates to the Bandera and Fredericksburg Road Drive-Ins. I've been to the Park-Air, Trail, San Pedro, Loop 13, Towne Twin, Rigsby, Circle 81 and of course the Mission.

The Trail use to have a cage in front and they had monkees in the cage. I believe these monkees were later given to the zoo, part of monkee island.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM

452 posts, read 941,619 times
I remember my parents taking us there from the time I was very young...maybe 3 or 4. We always wanted to go play on the swings, but were never allowed. However, we were allowed to sit on the hood of the car to watch the movie. I loved going to the drive-in...so many memories of that place. Thanks for posting!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,084,787 times
When ever we saw my Dad washing the windshield on the car, that was a pretty good sign that we were going to the movies. Our choices in those days in our part of town were The Mission, The Trail or the Parkair. I remember getting to see "Captain Gus" in person and receiving an autographed picture of him at the Mission Drive In Theater. My folks took my brother and I there to see the controversial movie "Cleopatra". Grandma was NOT happy about that. The days of drive in theaters are gone now. I guess everybody is too spoiled to get out of the AC long enough to watch a movie. I'm glad that someone had the forethought to save the screen. Thanks for the photos.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM

12,077 posts, read 13,399,630 times
I was only there once. Worst date I ever had. But I do remember going to the one in Valley Hi a few times with my family and as a teen. It's a shame the drive In days are gone. It was just good clean family fun.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Except when the gangs to over some of them. The San Pedro had some real problems in the 70's.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM

satx56: Thanks for the rep. The main screen will remain up as far as I have read. They are going to redo it and make it look like the 1960's. Back in 07 and early 08, I tried to spur an effort to save the drive-in. I was in contact with the Conservation Society. I am sure that the reason the screen has been saved is the effort of the Conservation Society. We did pestor them for a few months but we just weren't big enough.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM

828 posts, read 1,560,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I was only there once. Worst date I ever had. But I do remember going to the one in Valley Hi a few times with my family and as a teen. It's a shame the drive In days are gone. It was just good clean family fun.
Although we did go to the Mission ("Cannonball Run"/ "9 to 5" double feature anyone?), we most frequently went to the one in Valley Hi since it was closer to our house. Regarding the Valley Hi one, I remember that we would always talk about sneaking in to see a movie after our scout meeting (our "scout shack" was very close). Once, as we were driving home one night, we saw that "Star Wars" was playing there. My dad parked on the side of the road for a bit while I did all of the voices.

I'm glad to see they are keeping some of the icons of an age gone by. I was (and still am) fascinated by the juxtoposition of the drive-in next to the mission.

By the way, that second picture (the snack bar) is just beautiful.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,062,558 times
No, most were gone by the time we moved to SA when I was 2 (I'm 34.) And by the time I could go on my own I think Mission was it all the others had closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Did you get to any of the drive-ins? I use to go to them as I was growing up. I went to the Varsity a lot. I could walk in for 10 cents and sit in front of the snack bar. Took dates to the Bandera and Fredericksburg Road Drive-Ins. I've been to the Park-Air, Trail, San Pedro, Loop 13, Towne Twin, Rigsby, Circle 81 and of course the Mission.

The Trail use to have a cage in front and they had monkees in the cage. I believe these monkees were later given to the zoo, part of monkee island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio